Slide out tight fit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slide out tight fit

We just bought a brand new Imagine 17MKE. When we put the slide out and in it rubs against the couch. Is this normal? It would seem as if the couch fabric will wear out.

Originally posted by Marge S. View Post
    We just bought a brand new Imagine 17MKE. When we put the slide out and in it rubs against the couch. Is this normal? It would seem as if the couch fabric will wear out.
    Hello Marge, and welcome to Grand Design's Technical Forum. Congrats on your 17MKE.

Below is a picture of the 17MKE's floorplan. For reference purposes I labeled the sides of the slide as "North", "South", "East" and "West". Which side rubs and is causing your concern?

Howard

Click image for larger version

Name:	17MKE.JPG
Views:	621
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	15662
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

The slide side E.

Comment

The slide side E.
        I think I understand--the slide is rubbing across the front of the Murphy bed's couch.

I'm no expert on the Imagine line, but I think you have a valid concern. The inside trim on the side of the slide should not contact the front of the murphy bed couch. This is something you'll want your dealer to take a look at as *hopefully* the furniture can be moved back just a bit. I'm not familiar with how it is installed in the coach, but most furniture is screwed to the floor.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Rub.JPG
Views:	514
Size:	118.1 KB
ID:	15669

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

Yes, that's exactly it. Thank you for confirming what I already thought.

Comment

Yes, that's exactly it. Thank you for confirming what I already thought.
            No problem. Please follow up on this thread with your experience dealing with the dealership and how this issue was resolved. We like good stories--and want to connect you directly to Grand Design if the result is not-so-good.

Comment

Hi Marge,

For whatever it’s worth . . . we have similar (light) contact between our slide flange and the front of the couch. No discernible damage or marks after many years and many thousands of miles.

Rob
              Cate & Rob
              (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
              2015 Reflection 303RLS
              2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
              Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

X2 on what Rob shared. After 6 seasons and 15K miles, no wear on the couch from both slides slightly rubbing when retracted, extended, and pulling. Our couch was mounted to the floor with "L brackets so it would not move during transit. I removed the brackets and was able to slide the couch closer to the wall which made the rubbing from the slides nearly non-existent.

Dan
                Dan & Carol
                2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
                2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

Cate&Rob and Canyonlight -- interesting that you have slides that contact the couch during operation. Our rigs are very similar but there's none, to my knowledge, contact in my 315RLTS. I assumed GD would not engineer the internal components to make contact regardless of how the contact severity is classified.

Regardless, my initial reaction was based on my single experience, so now the OP has more perspective. Whether or not it is a problem is now a matter of the severity of the "rub" reported by Marge S. A video showing the actual rub would help tremendously to make a judgment call.

Comment

Marge S. howson Canyonlight

Attached are some picture of the "contact" between the slide flange and the rear couch. We replaced the rear couch a couple of years ago and I do not recall this clearance being quite as tight with the OE couch. I have not tried to shift the couch towards the rear wall, as Dan suggests . . . now on my "to do" list. In any case, we have not seen any damage from this minor contact with slides in. We have towed over 5000 miles with this configuration.

​​​​​​​Rob
                    Attached Files
                    Cate & Rob
                    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                    2015 Reflection 303RLS
                    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Thanks for all of your responses. I did call our dealership, but because we are on a statewide stay at home order, we can't take the trailer back to the dealership (in another state) at this time. But I was assured that the problem will be fixed whenever we get over there. Our fabric on the couch looks flimsier than the fabric shown in the picture above. It is also a much tighter fit between the couch and the slide. Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
                      X