Slide out in kitchen leans down hill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slide out in kitchen leans down hill

Purchased a 2020 2930RL-R two weeks ago. This model has the fridge (the residential style), the stove and cook top, the microwave, the TV and the fireplace all in the kitchen slide out. When extended there is a downward slope. If I place a round object on the counter top next to the stove it quickly rolls to the window. Is this normal?
    2018 RAM 3500 LB SRW
    2020 Solitude S-class 2930RL-R

Originally posted by Bill M View Post
    Purchased a 2020 2930RL-R two weeks ago. This model has the fridge (the residential style), the stove and cook top, the microwave, the TV and the fireplace all in the kitchen slide out. When extended there is a downward slope. If I place a round object on the counter top next to the stove it quickly rolls to the window. Is this normal?
    Welcome to Grand Design's Technical Forum, Bill M.

I've been wrong before on questions like yours, but I'm going to venture out on a limb and respond that no, it's not normal. Why it's not level is the question. Is it the slide? Countertop?

By any chance do you have a small digital level? What I'm suggesting is placing the tool on the island to measure if your camper is level side-to-side. Put the level on the floor, too, beside the island (in front of the fireplace on the main camper section--not on the slide). Ensure the orientation of the level is consistent. Now measure the same orientation by placing the level on the dinette table. Finally, place is on the counter next to the stove. You could also check the inside of the refrigerator (on a shelf) and also on the stove top. How do all these measurements compare?

You can also inspect the "bulb seals" to see if there's a consistent seal all the way around. If you can peak your head or fingers behind the trim, you should be able to see or feel where the slide contacts the seals. Is it consistent from top to bottom? Compare with the slide-to-seal on the dinette slide. Any difference?

Bottom line--even if we can identify the problem as being the slide, I'd recommend having your dealer adjust it (if required). With a brand new camper, messing with the slide adjustments is not something I'd recommend.

Please follow up if you can identify the issue and what takes care of the problem.

Again, welcome!

-Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Thank-you Howard,

I do not have a digital scale but I do have a bubble level and am using a AA battery as my rolling gauge. I should point out we are not on a slab here. The other day when I ran my level and gauge around on the horizontal surfaces all were good except the slide out. Today all are running a little to the left (towards the slide out) but the slide out is sloped more than the rest.

On the auto level display were are 0.0 degrees front to back and -0.1 degree side to side. So I think at the moment we've lost our level on the rig and we need to get this slide adjusted. Until then I'm wondering if I should bias the rig to be a little high on the left side to take some of the load off the slide mechanism?
      2018 RAM 3500 LB SRW

Comment

Bill M
        Hi Bill,

Before you get too far into this, I would suggest that you follow the inside flange around the slide with the slide out (as Howard describes) to confirm whether you have about the same gap all the way around. If you do, this indicates a properly adjusted slide. If not, the slide needs to be adjusted. Resolving this could be different depending on what you find from this check.

Rob
        Cate & Rob
        (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
        2015 Reflection 303RLS
        2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Thank-you it seems pretty uniform top to bottom although the left side has a narrower gap than the right but both sides are pretty uniform top to bottom. I have a call in to the selling dealer (only about 10 miles from here) so hopefully they can send somebody out to take a look. I'll let you know. Thanks again.
          2018 RAM 3500 LB SRW

Comment

If somethings off level, don't rely on the auto level to determine if the camper is level. It might need to be re-calibrated. Go old fashioned to check level. I carry a level and check every once in awhile to check the auto level system.
            Patrick & Marla Hansen
            Boomer, Sooner and Gizmo
            2014 Solitude 368RD

Comment

The selling dealer sent out a service tech the other day (which was nice). He visually checked the gap around the flange on the inside and determined it was good. As i said before i didn't see anything worng here either.

We ran the slide all the way in and checked the outside flange for a consistent tight gap with good compaction of the gaskets. Again all good. With the slide back out we checked numerous horizontal surfaces inside with a bubble level. All were good excpet the surfaces in the slide out still slope a few degrees towards the window.

The tech declared the slide does NOT need adjustment and I'm inclined to agree. There's no obvious flaw with how the slide is installed and any adjustments to it will probably create more problems. So we decided the slide is fine but everything in it is just not level to the rest of the rig.

Does this seem like a reasonable conclusion?
              2018 RAM 3500 LB SRW

Comment

There's no obvious flaw with how the slide is installed and any adjustments to it will probably create more problems. So we decided the slide is fine but everything in it is just not level to the rest of the rig.

Does this seem like a reasonable conclusion?
                Hi Bill,

The slide out is basically a rectangular box constructed from rectangular walls and floor. If there are no visible gaps in the corners between walls and floor, it is difficult to imagine how things are getting so out of square. (The top of the slide box is purposely sloped towards the outside).

If you start at the floor of the slide and work your way up, does the out-of-level slope get worse? In other words, is the floor of the slide closer to level than the countertop? This could indicate that it is the cabinetry and counter top that are installed on a slope and not a problem with the entire slide box.

Rob

Cate & Rob
                (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                2015 Reflection 303RLS
                2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Phansen said to check the auto level calibration; can't assume it's zeroed. I now know that was very good advice.

I put two identical bubble levels on the kitchen island after auto leveling the rig; set them 90 degrees to each other. Neither front to back nor side to side was level. I went to manual mode and after both front to back and side to side were past 1 1/2 degrees "off" level the bubble levels were still not right so I stopped. I wasn't sure how much I should twist the rig. Also I didn't know then how to perform the zero calibration procedure. But I do now.

So next time in the rig on a site we will calibrate the auto level. Question is what is a reasonable amount of "out of calibration". How much do I manually adjust each leg? Seems like an auto level system should leave the factory pretty darn close to level not several degrees out in two of the four corners?
                  2018 RAM 3500 LB SRW

Comment

Phansen said to check the auto level calibration; can't assume it's zeroed. I now know that was very good advice.

I put two identical bubble levels on the kitchen island after auto leveling the rig; set them 90 degrees to each other. Neither front to back nor side to side was level. I went to manual mode and after both front to back and side to side were past 1 1/2 degrees "off" level the bubble levels were still not right so I stopped. I wasn't sure how much I should twist the rig. Also I didn't know then how to perform the zero calibration procedure. But I do now.

So next time in the rig on a site we will calibrate the auto level. Question is what is a reasonable amount of "out of calibration". How much do I manually adjust each leg? Seems like an auto level system should leave the factory pretty darn close to level not several degrees out in two of the four corners?
                    I would check the level on the floor as the island may be a little off. You may even want to check and compare with the floor in the bed/bath area. To check that the levels are actually level place the level on a flat surface and note where the bubble is in relation to the lines then turn the level end for end and note the bubble location. If the bubble is in the same location then the level is level. Do this for both levels to prove that they are giving an actual good reading. When checking this if the bubble is at one end then when you rotate the level the bubble is at to other end then the level is not level. I hope that is not confusing, some levels are just not very good.

I am not sure if the 1.5 degrees is read across the entire width of the RV , if it is then that would calculate to about 2.5" out of level across the width , 102" of the RV, that's a lot, but is possible if the sensor was not set correctly or the system has lost the place of level.

Brian
                    Brian & Michelle
                    2018 Reflection 29RS
                    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Auto-level systems shouldn't have to be recalibrated/zeroed very often once you get them calibrated properly. Ours came from the factory quite a bit off. I always carry a full-size carpenter's level and use it on the floor in the center of the trailer (not on counter surfaces, etc.). Once calibrated properly, everything has been fine since.

Rob
                      Rob & Laura
                      U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
                      2012 F350 DRW CC Lariat PS 6.7, PullRite OE 18K
                      2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS and disc brakes, solar, BB LiFePO4, DP windows
                      (Previously in a 2016 Reflection 337RLS)
                      Full time since 08/2015

Comment

Bill M Is the stove and fridge level?
                        Second Chance howson Country Campers Cate&Rob
                        Worst case could he go old school to try and level up the slide? I had a set of these for the old unit https://www.campingworld.com/eaz-lif...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
                        Really helped with fine tuning.

He has a huge amount of weight hanging out there. What kind of slide mechanism does he have?
                        2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post
                          Bill M Is the stove and fridge level?
                          Second Chance howson Country Campers Cate&Rob
                          Worst case could he go old school to try and level up the slide? I had a set of these for the old unit https://www.campingworld.com/eaz-lif...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
                          Really helped with fine tuning.

He has a huge amount of weight hanging out there. What kind of slide mechanism does he have?
                          First off, the slide supports are a really bad idea. If there's any settling of the trailer, the supports will push up on the slides, distort them, and cause damage - damage that warranty would not cover. His slides are Lippert electric slides. If, after recalibrating his leveling system and making sure the trailer is level (as I described above), he still has an issue, it would point toward an untrue slide slide box on that side (not all sides parallel and not all angles true right angles). In that case, it would be something to take up with Grand Design.

Rob
                          Rob & Laura
                          U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
                          2012 F350 DRW CC Lariat PS 6.7, PullRite OE 18K
                          2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS and disc brakes, solar, BB LiFePO4, DP windows
                          (Previously in a 2016 Reflection 337RLS)
                          Full time since 08/2015

Comment

Originally posted by Second Chance View Post

First off, the slide supports are a really bad idea. If there's any settling of the trailer, the supports will push up on the slides, distort them, and cause damage - damage that warranty would not cover. His slides are Lippert electric slides. If, after recalibrating his leveling system and making sure the trailer is level (as I described above), he still has an issue, it would point toward an untrue slide slide box on that side (not all sides parallel and not all angles true right angles). In that case, it would be something to take up with Grand Design.

Rob
                            Thanks Rob
                            Things have changed from days past of supporting everything. On my old Thor unit they were recommended.

I am curious as to what he finds out. Bill M To check if the slide box is true and square, pull a tape measure across the box corners, Measurements should be the same. Example on the slide front viewed from inside the trailer measure top right to lower left and bottom right to top left. Both should be exactly the same if the walls are true. Then repeat at the back and on the slide sides if possible. You can do it on the outside too. What your trying to do is measure the diagonal of a square or rectangle (slide sides). If everything is correct, the diagonal measurements will be the same.

Hope this helps
                            Keith
                            2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

It's true there is a lot of weight in that slide but I'm comfortable it's square and installed correctly; pressure on the gaskets is good and uniform both open and closed.

I believe the countertop next to the stove is slanted towards the window relative to the rest of the slide but I can't really tell how much. I know the auto level is not calibrated so next step is to level the rig in manual mode using the two bubble levels (which checked out OK in both directions). Then recalibrate the auto level and see how it does at the next site. Based on all we've discussed here I'm feeling confident I can get the rig to consistently auto level to a true level. THEN if the slide out is still running down hill we'll take that up with the dealer and the factory.
                              2018 RAM 3500 LB SRW

Comment

Working...
                              X