Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 310GK Bedroom Slide walls wet after rain

2020 310GK took delivery on 3/2/2020:
    After a heavy rain we woke to wet carpet on both sides of the bed. The interior slide wall was wet (beyond damp) about 3" up from the floor. Have read elsewhere that the Schwintek rails are not sealed enough from the factory and need to be removed to effectively reseal them. Has anyone done this and what should I know before removing those rails?
    ​​​

Originally posted by Paul and Liz View Post
    2020 310GK took delivery on 3/2/2020:
    After a heavy rain we woke to wet carpet on both sides of the bed. The interior slide wall was wet (beyond damp) about 3" up from the floor. Have read elsewhere that the Schwintek rails are not sealed enough from the factory and need to be removed to effectively reseal them. Has anyone done this and what should I know before removing those rails?
    ​​​
    You *should* have the new version of the Schwintek rails. The rails are now inverted so water doesn't pool and run into the camper. Below is a very crude drawing from a seminar I attended:

Click image for larger version  Name:	rails.JPG Views:	0 Size:	29.1 KB ID:	16399

So why did the water penetrate the slide?

First thing I'd check is the level of the camper. Don't trust the auto-level, use an actual level tool (digital is easiest IMHO) by placing it on the bedroom floor between the bed and the closet or the bed and the bathroom wall. Is the camper level or is there a slant that would allow water to run towards the camper?

I'd also check all the seals around the Schwintek slide. There's a bulb seal that the slide trim butts up against when fully extended. With an inspection mirror, or feeling with your fingers, is the slide compressing the bulb seals consistently all the way around the slide?

While checking the bulb seal, also look at the wiper seals. There's a set on the interior and a set on the exterior. With the slide extended the exterior seals should be fully flipped open and the interior ones should tucked between the camper wall and the slide. (When fully retracted the interior wiper seals are fully flipped inwards and the exterior seals should be flipped/tucked away.) This thread is not 100% applicable, but there's info in it that you may find helpful: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/exterio...ard-to-replace

While looking at the seals look for any obvious point of water intrusion.

If everything looks good, I'd check the level of the Schwintek slide by placing the level on the top (under the topper).

Let us know what you find!
    Last edited by howson; 04-13-2020, 05:05 PM.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Paul and Liz
      Hi guys,

This is not likely to be something that can be remedied by removing and reinstalling the Schwintek rails. There are plastic drain cups at the bottom of the vertical drive mechanism on each side of the slide which are supposed to collect any rain water that comes down the drive shaft and direct this water outside. Sometimes the cup drain gets blocked and the water over flows inside. I would check this first.

It is unusual that you should experience leaks on both sides of the slide at the same time. Usually this happens on only one side or the other depending on a misaligned slide seal or the direction that the rain was coming from. A careful inspection of the bulb seals all the way around the slide might find one that is not compressed between the slide flange and the wall of the trailer.

Rob
      Cate & Rob
      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
      2015 Reflection 303RLS
      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Thanks Howard & Rob.

If I did it correctly there should be two pictures attached; one showing the slide rail and the other showing the current level.
        ​​​​​​Based on your (Howard) sketch I think the slides are of the "new" style??
        Re: the level - The way it currently sits the water should be running away from the main body.

Rob,

I come from the auto repair world and we had a/c evaporator drain hoses that would get pinched or clogged and would result in water entering the passenger compartment. Am I looking for something along those lines in regards to the water cup you mentioned?

Thanks again!

Paul

Comment

Paul and Liz
          Hi Paul,

On each side of the Schwintek slide are vertical drive shafts behind the vertical bulb seals, that connect the motor at the top to the drive rack at the bottom. At the bottom of these drive shafts should be a plastic cup that catches any rain water that comes down the drive shaft and directs this water outboard of the wall. The attached picture is from the inside of the (smaller) closet slide on my Reflection 303, but your slide drive system should be similar.

Rob
          Attached Files
          Cate & Rob
          (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
          2015 Reflection 303RLS
          2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Working...
          X