Slideout hydraulic line selector-knob stripped

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slideout hydraulic line selector-knob stripped

The two main-cabin slideouts in my unit normally operate together: when you push the extend switch, both slideouts extend; when you push the retract switch, both slideouts retract.

But this behavior can be modified. There are two hydraulic line selector valves -- one for each slideout. Each valve can be opened or closed. So if you want just one slideout to extend/retract, simply close the valve in the hydraulic line that feeds the other slideout. That's the good part.

The bad part is someone brilliant mechanical guy, not Cate&Rob I'm sure, decided that these valves be controlled with teeny-tiny nylon knobs mounted on teeny-tiny splined-shafts. Here are some pics:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Splined-shaft.jpg
Views:	631
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	16811

Name:	ShaftKnob_upright.jpg
Views:	491
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	16813

Name:	ShaftKnob_plan.jpg
Views:	487
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	16814

Using calipers, I get a shaft diameter of approximately .20 inches, and a knob whole diameter of around .16 inches.

You can probably guess: the nylon knob stripped out. That's why I was able to take those pics. I now carry the knob around in my pocket.

Can anybody suggest a way to jury-rig a new knob. I've googled and haven't come up with a source for knobs like this. I DEFINITELY don't want a nylon replacement. The only idea I've come up with so far is vice-grips. I could leave a pair in the propane compartment where the valves are located?

-Steve

Attached Files
    2018 Solitude 310GK, disc brakes
    Morryde SRE4000/XFactor with heavy duty shackles, V-Brackets in spring hangers
    2012 Ram 3500 SRW 6.7 Diesel, air bags
    18k B&W Companion, non-slider
    640 watts solar, 400 amp-hour Lion Safari UT 1300 battery bank
    Aims 1500 watt inverter/charger with ATS
    Somerset, WI

That is a poor design for sure. A call to Lippert on Monday may get you a replacement knob , 2 or 3 would be nice of them to give to you. As far as finding a direct replacement in something substantial may be difficult. Brass would be ideal but matching the spline would be hard to do. I would have to guess that Lippert should help you with this.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

steve&renee
      Hi Steve,

I took a look on the LCI website and I can find new valve assemblies with knobs . . . but, no knobs by themselves.

I would be inclined to make (or have made) solid brass (or aluminum) knobs with a center hole ID to fit the damaged shaft as tightly as possible. Have the new knob cross drilled for a set screw. If you can file a flat on the shaft to accept the set screw that would be ideal, but probably not necessary. Most set screws have a tip that will bite into the brass shaft. Just about any small machine repair shop will have a lathe that can make these knobs.

Rob
      Cate & Rob
      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
      2015 Reflection 303RLS
      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I had to laugh when you mentioned the vise grips, that's precisely what I would do. I would add replacing the valve to my list of round tuits though.
        2017 Momentum 376, 2019 Ford F450
        2022 Triumph Scrambler Motorcycle
        E-bikes, Hobi Pedal Kayaks
        Kota the dog and KC the Kitty Cat

Comment

Google knurled knobs there is bound to be something you can use. Meanwhile some epoxy
          2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Sorry to hear that, that is a poor design. It's precisely why I haven't fooled with mine after reading about them on here. I tried once recently to turn them so I could label which is which and no go, they are tight as heck and didn't want to break something.
            Jeff
            2019 Solitude 375 RES
            2020 Ford F450 Platinum

Comment

Originally posted by Triplethreat
              Personally, I would put some epoxy on the knob/shaft and call it a day. There is no reason to take it off again, unless the valve itself goes bad. In that case, you order a new valve (you said it comes with a knob), install the new one and slip the new knob back on. Done!
              I like this idea, but I have concerns that the epoxy might bind in such a way that the valve stem can't be turned.

Thoughts?

-Steve
              Somerset, WI

Comment

You might want to put some grease around the shaft of the valve to make sure the epoxy does not migrate in there. Without a fiber additive, the epoxy is going to be brittle . . . and, you don't really have room for thickened epoxy in the small space between the knob and the splined shaft. If the epoxy solution works . . . let us know.

Another idea would be to cross drill the splined shaft and push in a split pin . . . creating a T that could be turned by hand.

Rob
                Cate & Rob
                2015 Reflection 303RLS
                Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                  Another idea would be to cross drill the splined shaft and push in a split pin . . . creating a T that could be turned by hand.

Rob
                  Cross-drill a .20 inch shaft?

Somerset, WI

Comment

Originally posted by steve&renee View Post

I guess that would be a jewellery sized drill .
                    Cate & Rob
                    2015 Reflection 303RLS
                    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by steve&renee View Post

Swing by Pa. and I will fix it right up for you.

Brian
                      Brian & Michelle
                      2018 Reflection 29RS
                      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Your suggestion may have born fruit:

Name:	KnurledKnob.jpg
Views:	461
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	16900

https://www.amazon.com/a16041400ux0304-Diameter-Control-Aluminum-Potentiometer/dp/B01IX6ZGII/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=knurled+knob+5mm&qid= 1587303191&sr=8-1#feature-bullets-btf

Two problems: 5mm shaft may be a tad to big, and the splines are still nylon.

But how about this:

Name:	SpringCollet.jpg
Views:	416
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	16902

https://www.amazon.com/Machine-Clamp...re-bullets-btf

Details are a little sketchy, but it's steel and big enough to have good turning
                        Attached Files
                        Somerset, WI

Comment

The other place to check is a good hardware store, Some have bins of knobs, etc. Now in the past I have used metal thread repair strips. They are thin perforated metal strips usually used in wood working. I cut them into little slivers and push the knob on with a sliver along the side. Another thought - the original Rob was not far off on the cross drill, but do it vertically with the knob on to create a key way.

Last instead of liquid epoxy consider some of the paste forms like liquid weld - might work.

Just brainstorming - back to my corner
                          Keith

PS - the knob with the nylon insert should stretch a bit - put it in very hot water first or, get a bit of dry ice and shrink the shaft to fit.
                          2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

steve&renee
                            Hi Steve,

The problem with your collet chuck idea, is that this part is held inside a collet holder (in a lathe application) which is what clamps the fingers to the shaft being held. But, thinking along these lines, a small drill chuck (preferably one that tightens with a key) could be tightened on the valve shaft and used to turn it.

Rob
                            Attached Files
                            Cate & Rob
                            2015 Reflection 303RLS
                            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                              steve&renee
                              Hi Steve,

The problem with your collet chuck idea, is that this part is held inside a collet holder (in a lathe application) which is what clamps the fingers to the shaft being held. But, thinking along these lines, a small drill chuck (preferably one that tightens with a key) could be tightened on the valve shaft and used to turn it.

Rob
                              Yup. As I searched more, I realized that the collet is part of a larger assembly. On my own, I found several styles of drill chucks that are relatively inexpensive. Still trying to come up with ideas. The epoxy/cold weld idea is becoming less appealing. If it doesn't work, i will have messed up pretty bad.

Does anyone know if the hydraulic lines are under pressure. I assume not, but if I remove the valve, I should expect leakage -- and I assume I'll need to bleed the line somehow. Sounds like an awful job.

-Steve
                              Somerset, WI

Comment

Working...
                              X