Slide Seal Staples

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slide Seal Staples

They use Staples to attach your slide Seal to the the trailer. Today I gently pulled back the seal bulb on my slide out and to my dismay found a few Staples that weren't right. There were a couple Staples on each side that were sticking out trying to poke a hole in my seal bulb. That will not do.

I used a screwdriver and hammer to bend them back down. Not a proper fix but at least they won't be poking a hole in my slide Seal bulb.

Attached Files
    Charles and Susan
    2021 Ram 3500 6.4 Hemi, 4x4 CCSB
    Andersen Hitch
    2021 Reflection 337rls

Originally posted by ckreef View Post
    They use Staples to attach your slide Seal to the the trailer. Today I gently pulled back the seal bulb on my slide out and to my dismay found a few Staples that weren't right. There were a couple Staples on each side that were sticking out trying to poke a hole in my seal bulb. That will not do.

I used a screwdriver and hammer to bend them back down. Not a proper fix but at least they won't be poking a hole in my slide Seal bulb.
    Another unfortunate discovery. Maybe , just maybe , some day these items might stop turning up.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post

Another unfortunate discovery. Maybe , just maybe , some day these items might stop turning up.

Brian
      I'm hoping one of the GD people will see this post and send word back to the factory - if the Staple curves back out, don't just move on for sake of production, do something about it for sake of quality.

Charles and Susan
      Andersen Hitch
      2021 Reflection 337rls

Comment

GDRV-Megan
        Hi Megan,

Could you relay this issue to the assembly plant(s)? Not only the concern noted by Charles and Susan of the staple poking into the seal, but it would seem to me that the seal is going to be loose from the wall if the staples look like the pictures attached to post 1.

Thanks
        Rob
        Cate & Rob
        (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
        2015 Reflection 303RLS
        2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I think the issue is deeper. GD assembly (probably RV assembly) uses way too much stapling to fasten components. Staples don't hold components together in an RV. Things are falling apart in our rigs: Valances, headliners, my kitchen island.

-Steve
          2018 Solitude 310GK, disc brakes
          Morryde SRE4000/XFactor with heavy duty shackles, V-Brackets in spring hangers
          2012 Ram 3500 SRW 6.7 Diesel, air bags
          18k B&W Companion, non-slider
          640 watts solar, 400 amp-hour Lion Safari UT 1300 battery bank
          Aims 1500 watt inverter/charger with ATS
          Somerset, WI

Comment

Originally posted by steve&renee View Post
            I think the issue is deeper. GD assembly (probably RV assembly) uses way too much stapling to fasten components. Staples don't hold components together in an RV. Things are falling apart in our rigs: Valances, headliners, my kitchen island.

-Steve
            Hi Steve,

I don't think you will find an argument from any owner on this point . We have reupholstered our dinette chairs (over 100 original staples in each chair) and replaced all interior carpeting (more original staples than I could count). If anyone wants to see some of these stories, enter "staples" into the search tool in the upper right corner.

Agreed that staples don't hold as well as a threaded fastener . . . particularly when the material underneath is disintegrated with many staples into the same location. But, staples are fast and that is what building RVs is all about. I particularly like (well . . . "like" isn't the right word) the attached picture from one of those earlier threads.

Rob
            Attached Files
            Cate & Rob
            (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
            2015 Reflection 303RLS
            2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post

Hi Steve,

I don't think you will find an argument from any owner on this point . We have reupholstered our dinette chairs (over 100 original staples in each chair) and replaced all interior carpeting (more original staples than I could count). If anyone wants to see some of these stories, enter "staples" into the search tool in the upper right corner.

Agreed that staples don't hold as well as a threaded fastener . . . particularly when the material underneath is disintegrated with many staples into the same location. But, staples are fast and that is what building RVs is all about. I particularly like (well . . . "like" isn't the right word) the attached picture from one of those earlier threads.

Rob
              Hey, that's a photo from my rig. When I removed all those staples and replaced them with screws, I dropped 852.317 pounds from my loaded weight... ;-)
              Jim and Ginnie
              2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
              GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
              GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

The attached photo is from the front end of the inside, top bulb seal on our curbside slide. In this case it looks like the staple hit the aluminum framing around the slide opening and turned sideways. Stayed in place for almost two years of full time use. This staple and the one at the other end were replaced with self-tapping screws. I also replaced the staple holding the front, inside, vertical bulb seal for the same slide as the staple had pulled loose.
                Attached Files
                John
                2018 Momentum 395M
                2018 Ram 3500 Dually
                Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback, I have passed this along to our product managers.

EDIT: Here is the feedback from our product managers:

This is a 2 piece slide system.
                  - the rubber is thicker and more pliable than what we used before.
                  - you do not have to remove the slide to change your seals.
                  - this is a much better seal system for install, quality, service, longevity.

The staples in the picture is not a good install.
                  Last edited by GDRV-Megan; 04-28-2020, 09:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JBill9694 View Post
                    Ian this case it looks like the staple hit the aluminum framing around the slide opening and turned sideways. Stayed in place for almost two years of full time use.
                    I too figured the staple hit aluminum and shot back up. The seal is still firmly attached so I thought I would keep an eye on it and if it loosens then do what you did.

I think the lesson here is everyone should check their seals as a precaution.
                    Charles and Susan
                    Andersen Hitch
                    2021 Reflection 337rls

Comment

I too figured the staple hit aluminum and shot back up. The seal is still firmly attached so I thought I would keep an eye on it and if it loosens then do what you did.

I think the lesson here is everyone should check their seals as a precaution.
                      I would think a small round headed screw , # 6 maybe , would do to replace the staples if it came to that. The head would be small enough to not interfere with the seal.

Brian
                      Brian & Michelle
                      2018 Reflection 29RS
                      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Working...
                      X