Slide bulb seals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slide bulb seals

I posted on the other site about the blub seals tearing at the top GD sent me a set of seals I replaced them and adjusted the slides, Well it is still doing it I had one guy who said they had to move the seals out because GD installed them to close to the slide. I am out of warranty and GD said I would have to pay to get it fixed well the closest GD dealer is saying since I didn't buy from them I would be basically put to the back of the line 5 maybe 6 months that's BS. so anyone have ideas?
    2018 315 RLTS
    2015 F 250 XLT 4x4 PSD

colo native

The slide is centred in the opening and the seals are fitted to the edges of the opening. There is no "adjustment" in positioning the seals (that I have ever seen) but this might be something new. What is the seal bulb tearing on? Are there any protruding screws or staples? Could you post pictures of the problem?

The information that you got from your nearest dealer is an industry standard. RV dealers are obligated to service what they sell . . . they are not obligated (by their agreement with the manufacturer) to service same brand trailers that they did not sell. Some do of course, but that is usually based on their workload servicing their own customers. I am not saying that this is right . . . just saying, don't expect it to be like your truck.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

colo native

I just read up on your earlier Q&A on this elsewhere and realized that you are talking about the top seal and not the side seals. Is this a Schwintek slide or an underfloor driven slide? From your reference to the adjustments, I expect that this is an underfloor mechanism slide. My slides come in against the top seal when the bottom of the slide is still one to two inches out from the wall. As the bottom draws in, the top stays tight to the bulb seal. I don't see what motion would tear this top seal. I just checked mine and after 5 years, they are looking a little "squashed" but are still sealing and are not torn.

As a related question . . . do you have slide toppers? Without toppers, perhaps debris on top of the slide is tearing the seal as the slide retracts? I have toppers, so this horizontal top bulb seal is sheltered from debris, weather and sun at all times, whether the slides are in or out.

Rob
      Cate & Rob
      2015 Reflection 303RLS
      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

colo native and/or Cate&Rob

The thread title has "bulb seal" but there are references to "side and top seals" in this thread. Can one of you be specific--are we discussing the bulb or the wiper seal?

On the '18, the bulb and wiper are separate components (like on my 315RLTS and likely your 303, Rob). Replacing the bulb is simple. The wiper seal--not so much. That requires hyper-extending the slide.
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Rob and Howard,
          It is the top seal and the top of the side seals(front and back) . Not the wiper, the blub. Does anyone know if I lower the slides(Kitchen and recliner) will it level it out when in? The top of the slides are 1/2" out from side wall and the bottom is 1 1/2" out there for crushing the blub seal. I have adjusted the can and that has not worked. I'll try and put pictures up
          Last edited by colo native; 05-03-2020, 12:57 PM.
          2018 315 RLTS
          2015 F 250 XLT 4x4 PSD

Comment

here are the pics maybe it helps
            2018 315 RLTS
            2015 F 250 XLT 4x4 PSD

Comment

colo native -- the bulb seals on our 315RLTS' are super simple to replace. Have your seen this thread? https://gdrvowners.com/forum/exterio...ard-to-replace In post 13 and 16 there are diagrams and pictures showing how that bulb seal slides right off. There are probably two screws (one at the top and one at the bottom) and some sealant on the side, but after that's off the bulb seal slides right off. You can slide a new one back on, resecure the screws (with silicone on the threads as recommended by Cate&Rob ) and then seal the edge again with silicone as original. Maybe an hour or two of work at max. Shouldn't be very expensive to have a mobile tech do the work if that's the direction you choose to pursue.

Let me emphasize that for newer GDs they are using new seals that have the wiper and bulb integrated into one component. I show an example in post 35 of the previously linked thread. These new seals are superior (IMHO) because it is possible to replace the bulb AND wiper seal without hyper-extending the slide. To replace the "legacy" wiper seals on our trailers, the slide has to come out. That's not a DIY project. At least not for me.

So...be super careful around the wiper seals! Don't rip or damage them while replacing the bulb seal.

Howard
              Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
                colo native -- the bulb seals on our 315RLTS' are super simple to replace. Have your seen this thread? https://gdrvowners.com/forum/exterio...ard-to-replace In post 13 and 16 there are diagrams and pictures showing how that bulb seal slides right off. There are probably two screws (one at the top and one at the bottom) and some sealant on the side, but after that's off the bulb seal slides right off. You can slide a new one back on, resecure the screws (with silicone on the threads as recommended by Cate&Rob ) and then seal the edge again with silicone as original. Maybe an hour or two of work at max. Shouldn't be very expensive to have a mobile tech do the work if that's the direction you choose to pursue.

Let me emphasize that for newer GDs they are using new seals that have the wiper and bulb integrated into one component. I show an example in post 35 of the previously linked thread. These new seals are superior (IMHO) because it is possible to replace the bulb AND wiper seal without hyper-extending the slide. To replace the "legacy" wiper seals on our trailers, the slide has to come out. That's not a DIY project. At least not for me.

So...be super careful around the wiper seals! Don't rip or damage them while replacing the bulb seal.

Howard
                Howard, I know how to replace the seals I have done it before they are easy to do, my issue is why are the slides tearing the top for them? Per your thread above mine are doing that replaced seals once and its still doing it, it may be a 315 issue
                2018 315 RLTS
                2015 F 250 XLT 4x4 PSD

Comment

Originally posted by colo native View Post

Howard, I know how to replace the seals I have done it before they are easy to do, my issue is why are the slides tearing the top for them? Per your thread above mine are doing that replaced seals once and its still doing it, it may be a 315 issue
                  My guess is the screw head (the screw used to attach the bulb seal to the camper at the ends) is damaging the seal from the inside when the bulb is compressed by the slide. There shouldn't be anything on the slide itself that could damage the bulb from the outside. There's nothing else I can think of that can do that damage. (I had the same exact damage to the bulb seal and it was due to the screw.) If the slide moves at all during transport (bulb is compressed against that screw) it will definitely rip and tear--again--from the inside out. I don't know but I'm fairly sure there's some flex in the camper body/slide juncture while towing.

Comment

colo native

Are the gaps shown in your pictures with the slide fully retracted? If so, the slide should be coming in tighter than this. I wonder if the slide is “wandering about” while towing because it is not tight to the wall, and damaging the bulb seals? If there is no screw tip (or similar) on the slide flange opposite the hole shown, there must be something sharp inside the bulb (per Howard’s observations on his seals).

Rob
                    Cate & Rob
                    2015 Reflection 303RLS
                    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

My guess is the screw head (the screw used to attach the bulb seal to the camper at the ends) is damaging the seal from the inside when the bulb is compressed by the slide. There shouldn't be anything on the slide itself that could damage the bulb from the outside. There's nothing else I can think of that can do that damage. (I had the same exact damage to the bulb seal and it was due to the screw.) If the slide moves at all during transport (bulb is compressed against that screw) it will definitely rip and tear--again--from the inside out. I don't know but I'm fairly sure there's some flex in the camper body/slide juncture while towing.
                      It's not screw heads look at pic 1 and you can see it smashed at the top
                      2018 315 RLTS
                      2015 F 250 XLT 4x4 PSD

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                        colo native

Are the gaps shown in your pictures with the slide fully retracted? If so, the slide should be coming in tighter than this. I wonder if the slide is “wandering about” while towing because it is not tight to the wall, and damaging the bulb seals? If there is no screw tip (or similar) on the slide flange opposite the hole shown, there must be something sharp inside the bulb (per Howard’s observations on his seals).

Rob
                        Rob that is fully retracted see pic 1 smashed and pic 3 is the bottom it is not retracting evenly
                        2018 315 RLTS
                        2015 F 250 XLT 4x4 PSD

Comment

colo native

When the slides are all the way in, they should be within 1/2" of the wall all the way around and held tightly against all the bulb seals. I am wondering if your slide is "wandering about" when you are towing because it is not clamped tightly to the wall and this is causing damage to your bulb seals. My seals are flattened (not unlike yours) but there are no holes or splits. See attached picture for how my slides fit to the walls (all are more-or-less the same) when retracted.

Rob
                          Attached Files
                          Cate & Rob
                          2015 Reflection 303RLS
                          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                            colo native

When the slides are all the way in, they should be within 1/2" of the wall all the way around and held tightly against all the bulb seals. I am wondering if your slide is "wandering about" when you are towing because it is not clamped tightly to the wall and this is causing damage to your bulb seals. My seals are flattened (not unlike yours) but there are no holes or splits. See attached picture for how my slides fit to the walls (all are more-or-less the same) when retracted.

Rob
                            Rob see how your slide is even top to bottom, mine is not the bottom is out farther. That is the problem I believe. when driving down the road the top is moving and destroying the top.
                            2018 315 RLTS
                            2015 F 250 XLT 4x4 PSD

Comment

colo native

When your slide is all the way in and the bottom is still an inch from the wall, it the slide drive “stop can” tight against the frame rail? If so, this needs to be adjusted. If not, something else is limiting inward travel and this needs to be figured out.

Rob
                              Cate & Rob
                              2015 Reflection 303RLS
                              Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Working...
                              X