Slide Bulb Seal "Chewed Up"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slide Bulb Seal "Chewed Up"

I purchased a 2020 Imagine 2450RL in March of this year, and noticed that the a/m problem exists with my dinette slide as well. I pointed it out to the dealership during my PDI. The bulb seal on both sides of the slide are "chewed" up near the bottom of the seal directly adjacent to the slide tracks. One can easily observe the slide track rubbing against the bulb seal. The dealership indicated that the bulb seal was installed incorrectly and have ordered new seals under warranty... I have been waiting nearly 2 months for these seals to come in...no sign of them. I hope this isn't going to be a recurring problem! I am already doubting that my purchase was a good one... not a good feeling considering I haven't taken delivery yet. Moe
    Last edited by howson; 05-02-2020, 03:14 PM.
    Moe & Donna
    2020 Imagine 2450RL

Originally posted by Moe View Post
    The bulb seal on both sides of the slide are "chewed" up near the bottom of the seal directly adjacent to the slide tracks.
    Hi Moe,

I think we might be mixing up two different concerns here. (I am waiting for the OP to clarify exactly where his concern is.)

From your description, you have a Schwintek slide where the drive rack is rubbing the bulb seal. A picture would be great, but I realize your rig is at the dealer.
    Lets start this discussion from the other end . Attached is a picture of the Schwintek slide on my 2015 Reflection. The wiper seal has to be cut away to clear the rack, but bulb seal should be just clear of or lightly brushing the rack. Many many in/out cycles of this slide and these are the original seals, so once set up correctly, the design is durable.

Rob
    Attached Files
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I purchased a 2020 Imagine 2450RL in March of this year, and noticed that the a/m problem exists with my dinette slide as well. I pointed it out to the dealership during my PDI. The bulb seal on both sides of the slide are "chewed" up near the bottom of the seal directly adjacent to the slide tracks. One can easily observe the slide track rubbing against the bulb seal. The dealership indicated that the bulb seal was installed incorrectly and have ordered new seals under warranty... I have been waiting nearly 2 months for these seals to come in...no sign of them. I hope this isn't going to be a recurring problem! I am already doubting that my purchase was a good one... not a good feeling considering I haven't taken delivery yet. Moe
      Moe,
      We'd be happy to discuss this issue, but out of respect to the OP ("original poster"), if you'd like to have that discussion I can move your post to it's own thread. If you'd like that, let me know and I'll make it happen. Otherwise please don't think you're being ignored--that's not the case--we try to keep a single thread on a single topic. (We're not always successful but we try!)

Howard
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Moe,
        We'd be happy to discuss this issue, but out of respect to the OP ("original poster"), if you'd like to have that discussion I can move your post to it's own thread. If you'd like that, let me know and I'll make it happen. Otherwise please don't think you're being ignored--that's not the case--we try to keep a single thread on a single topic. (We're not always successful but we try!)

Howard
        Sounds good Howard...it should be moved to it's own thread... I read the OP text a little quick without realizing we were talking about two different seals. My issue is with the bulb seal on the Schwintek slide.
        Moe & Donna
        2020 Imagine 2450RL

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post

Hi Moe,

I think we might be mixing up two different concerns here. (I am waiting for the OP to clarify exactly where his concern is.)

From your description, you have a Schwintek slide where the drive rack is rubbing the bulb seal. A picture would be great, but I realize your rig is at the dealer.
          Lets start this discussion from the other end . Attached is a picture of the Schwintek slide on my 2015 Reflection. The wiper seal has to be cut away to clear the rack, but bulb seal should be just clear of or lightly brushing the rack. Many many in/out cycles of this slide and these are the original seals, so once set up correctly, the design is durable.

Rob
          Thanks for sharing your pic Rob... I have essentially the same setup, with the exception of the bulb seal on both sides of the slide are shredded where it is in direct contact with the slide track...I would say there is about 1/4 inch of rubber chewed up. I wouldn't expect this much damage on a slide that hasn't seen any service yet. I hope the dealership identifies the problem and corrects it, rather than just replacing the bulb seal... it's a 8 hour drive round trip for me to attend the dealership. I will post an update once the work order has been completed.
          Moe & Donna
          2020 Imagine 2450RL

Comment

Sounds good Howard...it should be moved to it's own thread... I read the OP text a little quick without realizing we were talking about two different seals. My issue is with the bulb seal on the Schwintek slide.
            Here's your thread, Moe! And thanks for understanding.

-Howard
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

Moe
              Hi Moe & Donna,

Take that picture with you and ask the dealer if his repair is going to look like this picture, 5 years from now?
              If not, he hasn't got it right .

Rob
              Cate & Rob
              (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
              2015 Reflection 303RLS
              2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
              Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                Moe
                Hi Moe & Donna,

Take that picture with you and ask the dealer if his repair is going to look like this picture, 5 years from now?
                If not, he hasn't got it right .

Rob
                That is a great idea Rob... I will do that.
                Moe & Donna
                2020 Imagine 2450RL

Comment

Moe,
                  Call Grand Design Customer Service on Monday @ 574-825-9679. They can verify whether or not the dealer actually ordered the replacement seals as everything is tracked by VIN.

Howard

Comment

Moe,
                    Call Grand Design Customer Service on Monday @ 574-825-9679. They can verify whether or not the dealer actually ordered the replacement seals as everything is tracked by VIN.

Howard
                    That is a great tip. Thanks Howard.
                    Moe & Donna
                    2020 Imagine 2450RL

Comment

Moe, I purchased a 230RL in February and noticed the same thing after I took it home, it's my first RV and I didn't notice that in PDI. However, I called GD first and filed the claim, and gave them my dealership, and then they told me to call the dealership. All told in 10 days, they had the parts and the swap took an hour. The tech informed me the slides were in backward and that's why it tore exactly at the track like yours. Stay on top of the dealership and always call GD to make sure the dealership is not just playing you. BTW if I didn't have a slide topper I totally could have swapped it myself.

Comment

Originally posted by l00ph0le View Post
                        Moe, I purchased a 230RL in February and noticed the same thing after I took it home, it's my first RV and I didn't notice that in PDI. However, I called GD first and filed the claim, and gave them my dealership, and then they told me to call the dealership. All told in 10 days, they had the parts and the swap took an hour. The tech informed me the slides were in backward and that's why it tore exactly at the track like yours. Stay on top of the dealership and always call GD to make sure the dealership is not just playing you. BTW if I didn't have a slide topper I totally could have swapped it myself.
                        Thanks for sharing your info with me. When you are saying that "the slides were in backwards", are you referring to the rails themselves, because they don't seem to be directional? I am glad it isn't a big job, but I sure would like to get it done.... 3 1/2 months and counting for the parts (slide seals and other stuff)...I confirmed with GD that the dealership ordered the parts in March...still no sign of it
                        Moe & Donna
                        2020 Imagine 2450RL

Comment

Thanks for sharing your info with me. When you are saying that "the slides were in backwards", are you referring to the rails themselves, because they don't seem to be directional? I am glad it isn't a big job, but I sure would like to get it done.... 3 1/2 months and counting for the parts (slide seals and other stuff)...I confirmed with GD that the dealership ordered the parts in March...still no sign of it
                          GDRV-Megan ,
                          Moe's VIN is in his profile. As you can read in this thread, Customer Service verified replacement parts were ordered by the dealer (in March!) but haven't arrived yet.

Can you please look into this for him?

TIA!

Howard

Comment

GDRV-Megan ,
                            Moe's VIN is in his profile. As you can read in this thread, Customer Service verified replacement parts were ordered by the dealer (in March!) but haven't arrived yet.

Can you please look into this for him?

TIA!

Howard
                            Thanks Howard for giving GD a little encouragement. I doubt this one can be blamed on COVID.
                            Moe & Donna
                            2020 Imagine 2450RL

Comment

Thanks Howard for giving GD a little encouragement. I doubt this one can be blamed on COVID.
                              Moe, I would recommend reaching out to your dealer. These items are listed as a "dealer pick up", so that means that your dealer has decided to pick the items up from us instead of us shipping them. The parts are showing as all here and ready for pick up.

Comment

Working...
                              X