Slide Seal Conditioner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slide Seal Conditioner

During the PDI the dealer tech recommended conditioning the slide seals frequently using either a commercial slide Seal Conditioner or a mixture of Dawn Dish Soap and water. Any thoughts on using Dawn for this? Maybe a different home remedy?
    Charles and Susan
    2021 Ram 3500 6.4 Hemi, 4x4 CCSB
    Andersen Hitch
    2021 Reflection 337rls

Originally posted by ckreef View Post
    During the PDI the dealer tech recommended conditioning the slide seals frequently using either a commercial slide Seal Conditioner or a mixture of Dawn Dish Soap and water. Any thoughts on using Dawn for this? Maybe a different home remedy?
    Plenty of opinions on this topic. Our previous TT had one slide and at 6 years of use with no seal problems. I only cleaned them while washing the camper. Our GD unit is getting the same treatment and I have had no bad effects from it so far. There are some that use 303 protectant and others I believe use baby powder , I have chose to do nothing , maybe wrong , maybe not.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

At a GDRV Rally five years ago, this question was asked at an LCI tech seminar. The answer was to do nothing. The demonstrated reason was that new seals feel “soapy” to the touch because lubricant is blended into the rubber compound. It was stated that sprays or even baby powder will leach this lubricant out of the rubber.

Fast forward 5 years and the current LCI/GDRV advice is to use baby powder.

I have followed the advice from five years ago (no sprays or powder) and my seals are still flexible. Maybe not as “soapy” feeling as when new but there is still some lubricant there.

Rob
      Cate & Rob
      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
      2015 Reflection 303RLS
      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
        At a GDRV Rally five years ago, this question was asked at an LCI tech seminar. The answer was to do nothing. The demonstrated reason was that new seals feel “soapy” to the touch because lubricant is blended into the rubber compound. It was stated that sprays or even baby powder will leach this lubricant out of the rubber.

Fast forward 5 years and the current LCI/GDRV advice is to use baby powder.

I have followed the advice from five years ago (no sprays or powder) and my seals are still flexible. Maybe not as “soapy” feeling as when new but there is still some lubricant there.

Rob
        Charles and Susan have the same post on the other forum too where a number of us have responded. When and on what lines/models if you know as well, did GDRV start using the "new soapy seals" and how can we tell the difference between them and the "old ?"

Dan
        Dan & Carol
        2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
        2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

We have a 2018 and have already had to replace the top bulb seals on living room slides and also the side bulb seals. Last month while washing roof noticed the kitchen slide top bulb seal was melted in places. We wash/wax every 3 months and I started using the seal conditioner Protect All when I got this unit 2 years ago. We are in Florida for 6 months and travel 6 months typically. We do not have slide toppers.

https://www.rvautoparts.com/assets/images/40015.jpg

With our last RV an older Carriage Cameo I used 303 with good results. So do not know if this is because of the quality of the bulb seals or the conditioner. The new bulb seals I bought have a bit thicker gauge so will see how long they last.
          Vivian
          2018 Reflection 303rls
          Ford F-350 diesel long bed 4 x 4 SRW
          Demco Recon

Comment

Camco makes a seal conditioner in an aerosol can. I like to use a spray bottle because it seems to work better for me. has anyone used a product called 303 Protectant?
            JessJoe - Eastern PA
            2019 Reflection 29RS - Reese GooseBox
            2017 Ram 2500 6.7L 4x4 SRW SB

Comment

Originally posted by JessJoe4168 View Post

Camco makes a seal conditioner in an aerosol can. I like to use a spray bottle because it seems to work better for me. has anyone used a product called 303 Protectant?
              I've used it for years. Great product.

Rob
              Rob & Laura
              U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
              2012 F350 DRW CC Lariat PS 6.7, PullRite OE 18K
              2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS and disc brakes, solar, BB LiFePO4, DP windows
              (Previously in a 2016 Reflection 337RLS)
              Full time since 08/2015

Comment

another vote for 303
                2021 Solitude 390RK
                No truck - don't travel

Comment

Hey Charles, I’ve been using the spray cans that I get at Wally World, work great and not expensive. I put on Latex type gloves and lather up both sides of the rubber and it’s been working fine for a year and a half now. one for the top and bottom of the mechanism and the other for the rubber. Nothing wrong with 303 but it can become pricy. Say hi to Susan from my Susan. 😀
                  Dave and Sue
                  2020 GD 2250RK
                  2019 F-150 XLT, 5.0, 4WD, SB
                  Curt 17500 WDH, 3.55
                  GY Endurance, Dexter EZ Flex
                  SCPO(SW) USN, (Ret), HP: Tampa Bay ⚓️🇺🇸

Comment

I'm a 303 guy also. Once in the spring after de-winterizing and once in the fall as part of my winterization routine.
                    2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax 3310LB Payload
                    2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

Comment

Working...
                    X