Dining slide now rubbing on floor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dining slide now rubbing on floor

We had our 377mbs for 1.5 years now and have about 2k miles on it. After our last pull from Pahrump, NV to South Lake Tahoe, I noticed a rub mark next to the island, about in the middle of the width of the dining slide. This should not happen, right?

I lifted the carpet flap and looked at the edge of the slide and noticed it was slightly droopy compared to the ends of the slide. It looked like there was only wood there. Is there metal under there somewhere? Without metal, I could see the wood eventually flexing there since the couch is there and heavy.

Another possibility was that the slide was not all the way in, either from me not pulling it in all the way or the hydraulic system allowing some fluid back in during travel.

I hope the fix is easy. If it keeps rubbing, I could see it eventually making a hole in the floor.

Originally posted by redspeed3 View Post
    We had our 377mbs for 1.5 years now and have about 2k miles on it. After our last pull from Pahrump, NV to South Lake Tahoe, I noticed a rub mark next to the island, about in the middle of the width of the dining slide. This should not happen, right?
    Unfortunately a slide rubbing the floor is not an uncommon occurrence. Cate&Rob can provide much more detail than I can, but a product you might want to consider purchasing is a "Slide Slicker". Google "slide out floor protector" and you'll see the Lippert product available from multiple retailers. The link that caught my attention (to make your own) is http://www.trailerlife.com/tech/diy/slideout-slickers/

Please note I have not tried this product myself so just passing info--hopefully Rob will be along soon and will provide more information.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Hi redspeed3,

Slides rubbing on on the floor as the slide moves in/out is a fairly common occurrence. Your dining slide probably does not have rollers under it, to keep its floor as close to the main floor level as possible. Its is considered to be a "lightweight" slide, so moves across a plastic slider strip (same as our Reflection 303RLS). The "heavy" slide on the opposite side moves on rollers. When the slides come in/out, they reach a "balance point" at about half way and dip down on the inside edge. This is where they will rub the floor until the slide is all the way in and when the outside flange comes up agains the outside wall, the slide usually lifts off the floor again.

Both of our slides do this and the solution that we use is a pair of the LCI Slide Slickers referenced in Howard's post. A bit of a PITA to have to have to remember these every time we bring in the slides . . . but they do protect the floor. Note that they have points on one end to grab the carpet and then foam strips to protect the floor. On ours, I had to trim off some of the points to make sure that these did not puncture the vinyl flooring.

Rob
      Cate & Rob
      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
      2015 Reflection 303RLS
      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
        Both of our slides do this and the solution that we use is a pair of the LCI Slide Slickers...
        Rob,
        New topic (for me) so as I did some reading but I don't quite understand why these are sold in pairs. In redspeed3 's post the "middle of the slide" is referenced. It looks like the Slide Slickers are meant for the ends of the slide (to protect the carpet). Are three individual slickers needed (one on both ends and one in the middle) to completely protect against damage to the floor and carpet?

-Howard
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Rob,
          New topic (for me) so as I did some reading but I don't quite understand why these are sold in pairs. In redspeed3 's post the "middle of the slide" is referenced. It looks like the Slide Slickers are meant for the ends of the slide (to protect the carpet). Are three individual slickers needed (one on both ends and one in the middle) to completely protect against damage to the floor and carpet?

-Howard
          Hi Howard,

These slide slickers can be used wherever there is a potential rub spot. On our "light" dining slide the rub areas are at the ends of the slide and we use the slickers there as you describe. On the the "heavy" slide with the pantry, stove, fridge, storage the heaviest contact is at the center two rollers, so I cut sliders to fit the travel distance of this slide and I line them up with the rollers that were leaving indentations in the floor. When this slide is halfway in they are pinned so heavily to the floor that visible ends are bending up. When the slide is all the way in, they are loose again.

Rob
          Cate & Rob
          2015 Reflection 303RLS
          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Hi redspeed3,

Slides rubbing on on the floor as the slide moves in/out is a fairly common occurrence. Your dining slide probably does not have rollers under it, to keep its floor as close to the main floor level as possible. Its is considered to be a "lightweight" slide, so moves across a plastic slider strip (same as our Reflection 303RLS). The "heavy" slide on the opposite side moves on rollers. When the slides come in/out, they reach a "balance point" at about half way and dip down on the inside edge. This is where they will rub the floor until the slide is all the way in and when the outside flange comes up agains the outside wall, the slide usually lifts off the floor again.

Both of our slides do this and the solution that we use is a pair of the LCI Slide Slickers referenced in Howard's post. A bit of a PITA to have to have to remember these every time we bring in the slides . . . but they do protect the floor. Note that they have points on one end to grab the carpet and then foam strips to protect the floor. On ours, I had to trim off some of the points to make sure that these did not puncture the vinyl flooring.

Rob
            Those look like a good product, I have one spot near kit island that looks like it is rubbing when slide is in (we have vinyl), I have been taping two thin flexible cutting boards to the floor but will look into the stickers.
            Rich

Rich T
            2011 F350
            2016 Solitude 300GK-R

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
              The link that caught my attention (to make your own) is http://www.trailerlife.com/tech/diy/slideout-slickers/
              Thanks for that idea. Stopped by Lowe's today and got a 4'x4' sheet of Masonite peg board and the nonslip shelf liners. Works like a charm for only $20 and I have material to spare for the office/bedroom slide if needed.

Comment

[QUOTE=Cate&Rob;n1947]

Hi Howard

This thread is older, but my problem with dinning slide rubbing/marking the vinyl is getting worse with age/use. I am planning to try adjusting it. Has anyone tried this? Any advise dos/don't would be greatly apricated.

Thanks
                Rich
                Rich T
                2011 F350
                2016 Solitude 300GK-R

Comment

[QUOTE=Rich T;n10957]

Hi Howard

This thread is older, but my problem with dinning slide rubbing/marking the vinyl is getting worse with age/use. I am planning to try adjusting it. Has anyone tried this? Any advise dos/don't would be greatly apricated.

Thanks
                  Rich
                  Hi Rich,
                  Cate&Rob or one of the other individuals here with more experience messing with slides will chime in soon. I believe your Solitude has hydraulic slides, right? The manual for them is available here: https://lci-support-doc.s3.amazonaws...cd_0001617.pdf

Lippert is the manufacturer of that component (obviously) so if you have any specific questions their customer service is great. 574-537-8900 or customerservice@lci1.com.

In the meantime, have you tried what redspeed3 did in post #7?

Good luck--and I'm sure a more knowledgeable individual will be along shortly.

-Howard

Comment

[QUOTE=Rich T;n10957]

Hi Howard

Thanks
                    Rich
                    Hi Rich,

The available slide adjustments are intended primarily to get the slide fitted to the wall when it is fully in or fully out. If these end points are correct on your slide, there is not much that the available slide adjustments can do about the travel in between. This is a rather wobbly transition where the weight of the slide is carried on a single row of rollers or plastic slide strips. A slide topper can have enough tension to cause the slide to tip down onto the floor as it crosses the balance point on the fixed rollers.

We use the LCI "slide slickers" referenced earlier in this thread to protect the interior floor as the slide travels in. The strips are loose at the start of the travel and loose again at the end of the travel . . . but, are heavily loaded at the mid point. Several rallies ago, I had both LCI and GDRV techs trying to adjust our slides to prevent contact with the floor. Our slides fit really well fully in or fully out but we follow the GDRV tech advice from that rally, to use the slide slickers to protect the floor during transition.

Rob
                    Cate & Rob
                    2015 Reflection 303RLS
                    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

[QUOTE=Cate&Rob;n10985]
                      Originally posted by Rich T View Post

Hi Rich,

The available slide adjustments are intended primarily to get the slide fitted to the wall when it is fully in or fully out. If these end points are correct on your slide, there is not much that the available slide adjustments can do about the travel in between. This is a rather wobbly transition where the weight of the slide is carried on a single row of rollers or plastic slide strips. A slide topper can have enough tension to cause the slide to tip down onto the floor as it crosses the balance point on the fixed rollers.

We use the LCI "slide slickers" referenced earlier in this thread to protect the interior floor as the slide travels in. The strips are loose at the start of the travel and loose again at the end of the travel . . . but, are heavily loaded at the mid point. Several rallies ago, I had both LCI and GDRV techs trying to adjust our slides to prevent contact with the floor. Our slides fit really well fully in or fully out but we follow the GDRV tech advice from that rally, to use the slide slickers to protect the floor during transition.

Rob
                      Rob

Thanks for the valuable info. I will check that my adjustments are correct and go from there. The Slide slickers look like a good deal, I see they are available in the LCI online store. Based on your experience I plan to get a set.

Rich
                      Rich T
                      2011 F350
                      2016 Solitude 300GK-R

Comment

[QUOTE=Cate&Rob;n10985]
                        Originally posted by Rich T View Post

Hi Rich,

Rob
                        So my take on this issue is the slide structure flexes and sags causing the rubbing. When fully in or out the structure is supported and looks square. As such no adjustments are going to work if it's in adjustment while in or out. Only real solution is to build a slide box with stronger structural integrity that doesn't sag. Frankly it's a shame that an owner has to support a slide with "skid strips" because they can't or won't build it correctly.
                        2007 Itasca Horizon w/2017 Wrangler "pusher toad"
                        2015 Solitude 320X (sold) likely a 351M to take it's place
                        2017 Ram 3500 Laramie 4wd CC LB SRW
                        2019 Harley Davidson Heritage 114 as the toy

Comment

Working...
                        X