Slide-out opening during travel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slide-out opening during travel

Has anyone experience a slide out coming open during travel. I had one come open about 2-3 inches during my last trip. First time happening, so not sure why it did that.

Originally posted by TX71 View Post
    Has anyone experience a slide out coming open during travel. I had one come open about 2-3 inches during my last trip. First time happening, so not sure why it did that.
    Welcome to Grand Design's Technical Forum.

What year and model GD unit? Which slide?
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Hi TX71. There are three different types of slides used on GDRV models. Schwintek, hydraulic, and thru-frame. We can't help solve the issue unless we know which type you have. As Howard mentioned, if we know your year, make, model and location of the slide out, we can typically determine which kind of slide you have.

Until this gets fixed, there is a temporary solution you can use to prevent the slide from extending. Cut a couple pieces of 2x4 and place them on the floor between the slide out flanges.

Jim
      Jim and Ginnie
      2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
      GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
      GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Unfortunately we have had a slide open during travel on our 2019 Reflection 337 RLS. It was the kitchen slide (the heaviest slide of course) and it did not so much "slide open" as it did "tilt open". The first time it happened we were turning on to the on ramp to enter I84 and as I checked my mirrors going up the on ramp I noticed the top of the slide was tilted out at the top about 6". I stopped, pulled the slide in and it worked as it should.....keeping in mind that I have never felt the slide was/is right as it tilts out too dramatically at the top when going out and drops pretty hard when being retracted....meaning it drops hard enough to damage the flooring vinyl. I traveled about 50 miles and as I was rounding a right hand corner on the freeway I saw it "tilt out" again. We found an off ramp, got the slide back in and I made a make shift "slide lock" out of some padding and a 12 pack of soda water. I then took it back to Thunder RV in La Grande Oregon where a nice man named Wayne was nice enough to make me some makeshift slide locks out of a 2x4 with padded ends. We got the RV to a GD dealer in Idaho who said the slide motor was bad and it was replaced. I don't think that is the issue as the slide still tilts out too much when it is being deployed and has again damaged the flooring while being retracted. We still use the 2x4 slide locks as we do not trust the slide to stay in and the GD shop closest to us cannot seem to fix it correctly. Any suggestions?

Comment

Working...
        X