Slide Leaks in Hard rain while closed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jazzy View Post
    We are at our Deslership now trying to get our leak in the slide resolved. Has anyone else resolved theirs?
    While I haven't had this issue myself, I was thinking what I would do in your scenario and what would be my thought process. My train of thought would be you know the slide leaks, and it leaks while the slide is closed and the trailer is not moving. So I would then focus my thoughts on what keeps the water out while the slide is closed and the trailer is not moving, and my assumption would be the top bulb seal and the top portion of the side seals. I would take a super close look at the outside and ensure the bulb seal track is sealed where it meets the trailer wall, and that the exterior slide trim is compressing the seal. I would also check the corners of the slide seals where the vertical and horizontal seals meet. Ensure everything is properly sealed there.

Can you look for 'witness marks' of the the water movement? Ie can you see like dirt smears where water is moving around on the slide roof to establish where it's coming in? One trick I've read about but haven't tried is to put corn starch or some form of fine powder to establish the water path. Maybe you can put some on the slide roof, close the slide, and use a garden hose to simulate rain?

Sorry that I can't provide direct answers, but hopefully you'll find the source. Good luck and let us know how you guys make out.
    2019 Imagine 2400BH
    2019 F150 XLT Super Crew, EcoBoost, 6.5' box, Max tow package with 3.55 ratio

Comment

We are at our Deslership now trying to get our leak in the slide resolved. Has anyone else resolved theirs?
      I guess the other thought I would have too, is what is above that area on the main trailer roof? Perhaps it's not the slide seal that is leaking in the end. Ie, is something leaking on the main roof, and water is flowing down an interior panel and finally dripping near the corner of the slide?
      2019 Imagine 2400BH

Comment

We have gotten a update that there Was some rubber molding missing on the top and sides so they were putting those on and the made a slight adjustment to have the slide close tighter, they are almost done and going to put a hose on it to see if it is fixed, we ard not quite sure what the molding that is missing looks like, but we will find out. And maybe at some point I can post a couple pictures.
        2020 XLS 22MLE
        2020 Ram Big Horn 1500 Hemi 5.7

Comment

Well it was a long day and they feel the leak should be fixed. I will add photos of what the did. They added the rubber on top and side of the out er slide face and the replaced the bulb seal on second photo to go all the way to the top of the seal , where as before it had a open gap that rain could run down the id of the seal. I don't know if this is the way it would come from the Factory or if this is a fix but we were told it was missing and should have been on it. I don't see it on Cyclops62 or StephenO
          Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2747_LI.jpg
Views:	826
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	23992
          Attached Files
          2020 XLS 22MLE

Comment

The added rubber seal on the slide flange is definitely not factory. I am not sure why you would be getting water in thru the original slide seals unless they are damaged or not installed correctly. I would send GD some pictures of the slide seals and the repair that your dealer made and get there opinion on this situation.

Brian
            Brian & Michelle
            2018 Reflection 29RS
            2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Well it was a long day and they feel the leak should be fixed. I will add photos of what the did. They added the rubber on top and side of the out er slide face and the replaced the bulb seal on second photo to go all the way to the top of the seal , where as before it had a open gap that rain could run down the id of the seal. I don't know if this is the way it would come from the Factory or if this is a fix but we were told it was missing and should have been on it. I don't see it on Cyclops62 or StephenO

Name:	IMG_2747_LI.jpg
Views:	826
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	23992
              I agree, that the additional gasket is not how the system is designed from the factory, and I too would call Grand Design. They should have a reference case on your VIN opened related to this issue, and then get them to look at this repair. My initial reaction is the additional gasket may actually cause a leak if it interferes with the factory bulb seal in any way. Ie, if that gasket pushes on the bulb seal in a nonuniform way, it could create gaps in the seal, so I would send that to Grand Design ASAP for review.

Just curious, do you have any before pictures of where the horizontal and vertical seals joined? You mentioned there was a gap that the dealer fixed, it would be interesting to compare.
              2019 Imagine 2400BH

Comment

I looked and I don't have any photos of that area, I thought I did but can't find but I am attaching one that I edited and it just shows a gap and if water got in it is like a tube
                Who would I contact at Grand Design any suggestions or email address? Thanks

Name:	IMG_2745_LI (2).jpg
Views:	943
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	23999

2020 XLS 22MLE

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
                  The added rubber seal on the slide flange is definitely not factory. I am not sure why you would be getting water in thru the original slide seals unless they are damaged or not installed correctly. I would send GD some pictures of the slide seals and the repair that your dealer made and get there opinion on this situation.

Brian
                  Brian do you know who I would send to and or a email ?
                  Thanks
                  2020 XLS 22MLE

Comment

Brian do you know who I would send to and or a email ?
                    Thanks
                    Jazzy - I'd call GDRV customer service on Monday morning at 574-825-9679 and let them know about your concerns. Let the representative know that you have photographs you can send them if desired.

Jim
                    Jim and Ginnie
                    2024 Solitude 310GK
                    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

I looked and I don't have any photos of that area, I thought I did but can't find but I am attaching one that I edited and it just shows a gap and if water got in it is like a tube
                      Who would I contact at Grand Design any suggestions or email address? Thanks

Name:	IMG_2745_LI (2).jpg
Views:	943
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	23999
                      The gap you show in this pic is just the end of the bulb seal. If water was to get into this end it would just flow out the bottom. I am just guessing here but here are some thoughts.

When you had the issue with the slide leaking when retracted did you take any pictures or look at the slide when it was retracted? The trim around the outside of the slide makes the seal against the bulb seal when retracted. If the slide is not retracted enough or does not retract enough this seal will not be made. The reason I mention this is the large seal that was just installed is taking up the space that the bulb seal should be doing on its own. The large seal that was just installed seams to me to be compensating for the real problem. When the slide retracts the wiper on top and sides of the slide flip towards the inside, these are only for wiping debris off of the slide. When the slide is extended these wipers are "pointed" in the out direction and will shed some water. Another note is the roof of the slide is slanted outwards to help with shedding water also.
                      Another area that may be the problem is the Schwintek slide rails. Sometimes these will allow water to travel inside the RV.

Brian
                      Brian & Michelle
                      2018 Reflection 29RS
                      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Hey Cyclops62 and jazzy , just wondering if you ever got this issue resolved? Last week we had a significant thunderstorm roll through the area, significant enough that my wife's SUV now has some new dimples/dents, but that's a story for another day . Who knows, maybe those dents will make it act like a golf ball and get better fuel economy...

Anyways, after the storm I went to check on our trailer and found a small amount of water on the slide roof in one corner, even though it was closed. Looking at the bulb seal at the top of the exterior of the slide, I only noticed one spot that maybe have caused this, and I attached a picture of this spot. This is on the outside of the slide, looking down on the bulb seal; the bulb seal extends slightly to the outside lip of the trim, possibly causing more compression than the flat face of the outside trim causing a slight gap in the shape of a triangle. Looking at the seal with the slide open, I can see dirt all along the bulb seal except this corner, so perhaps the rain that came through there washed it away? Other than this spot, the sealant along the joint looks to be in good shape, and I didn't see any tears in the bulb seal, or see it coming off the track.

I still need to do some testing of this to see if this is the issue, but thought I would follow up on this thread to see if anything else was found on your end, or if anyone else has any ideas on what I need to be checking for a possible cause.

Thanks all!
                        Attached Files
                        2019 Imagine 2400BH

Comment

Gee I wonder where they got that Idea?
                          https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...e-seal-install

The one additional seal I have not done is across the top above the wiper seal, but under the top lip - mybe a fall project before storage

While I did not have a leak before it seem to work well driving in rain. No evidence of any water getting inside.
                          2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

We have not had any leaking since the fix from the dealership last yr.
                            2020 XLS 22MLE

Comment

Thanks for the follow up jazzy , and that's good to hear their fix did the trick!
                              2019 Imagine 2400BH

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post
                                Gee I wonder where they got that Idea?
                                https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...e-seal-install

The one additional seal I have not done is across the top above the wiper seal, but under the top lip - mybe a fall project before storage

While I did not have a leak before it seem to work well driving in rain. No evidence of any water getting inside.
                                I thought of your modification with the extra seals when this issue came up for me. For the top seal, do you have enough room between the existing bulb seal and the top lip of the outside trim? Is that where you were thinking of putting an ancillary seal? I don't have a great photo of mine, but from what I can see in the one I do have, it looks like the bulb seal is right up to the top...
                                Attached Files
                                2019 Imagine 2400BH

Comment

Working...
                                X