Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slider has caused table to crunch into kitchen island

2021 Reflection 320MKS

Hi everyone! I'm glad to be here as a new owner of a 320MKS! I just pulled it into its parking place at my house and put the sliders out and noticed damage to the kitchen island and the table. The dealer and I both missed it during the walk-through. Turns out when the slider comes in, it crunches the table into the island and it rode like that all the way across the country from Indiana to Oregon. You don't notice it hitting because you're not able to see it from the slider switch location but there's some decent damage on both the island and the table. I'm going to contact a local dealer tomorrow but I'm wondering if anyone has any tips. I could unscrew the table and move it over an inch or so towards the window but I'm afraid I'll just play whack-a-mole with the problem if that's not the cause. I notice that the carpet under the table sort of crunches up when the slider is closed so that's why I'm suspecting it's not the table location but the slider adjustment. I have to live with it for a bit because the dealers are slammed right now and I have a couple camping trips planned over the next two weeks so I was hoping I could do something to at least fix the ramming then I could deal with the damaged parts later on a warranty claim.

Do these sliders have adjustments for how far they go in while still sealing on the outside? Just looking for coping strategies.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	61595179962__7B2CF8DC-72D2-487D-8B36-68CF0FACCEAE.jpeg
Views:	584
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	23798

Click image for larger version

Name:	61595119474__C2A84926-E99F-4A67-8F0F-B3227C882104.jpeg
Views:	370
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	23799

Could it possibly be the island location?

How close is the island to the opposite slide , is there room to move the island?

I do not think that adjusting the stroke of the slide is the right thing to do. When the slides are retracted they make a seal on the exterior and this needs to be correct.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

thirdwaver
      Welcome to our owners technical forum!

This is an unfortunate, but not unusual, problem. We have encountered exactly the same thing on our Reflection 303RLS. Brian is correct that solving this will likely require moving the island, but it is a fine balance between clearance on one side and clearance on the other. Part of the problem is the flex in the unsupported slide floor (where the table is attached) when the slide is in, which allows the table to "wobble" when travelling.

The easiest adjustment to make is to move the table. Four screws into the floor as you mention. Before you do this, measure the distance from the table to the window with the slide all the way out and all the way in. You will have to stay within the smaller of these two measurements. Ask me how I know this .

We also travel with a quilted cover over the table which is pinched between the table and island when we travel, but has stopped any damage for thousands of miles travelled.

We did have our island moved slightly towards the other side, but there was not enough adjustment towards the other retracted slide, to completely eliminate the table to island contact.

Rob
      Cate & Rob
      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
      2015 Reflection 303RLS
      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
        thirdwaver

We also travel with a quilted cover over the table which is pinched between the table and island when we travel, but has stopped any damage for thousands of miles travelled.

Rob
        We have used a piece of pipe insulation on the edge of the table after the drawer once opened while traveling and rubbed on the island. You could also use a pool noodle, and cut a slit in that. But you would still probably need to address the lack of clearance, or else your slide might not come in all the way with the noodle there.
        Andi
        Brookings SD
        2018 Reflection 337RLS
        2019 GMC Sierra 3500HD Duramax

Comment

Our table was just barely touching the island. We moved the table about 1/2" and never had a problem after that. I appreciate them placing the largest table they can in that space, but it could have been just a touch smaller to account for manufacturing and slide out variability.

Jim
          Jim and Ginnie
          2024 Solitude 310GK
          GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
          GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Oh, another option. Some people prefer to turn the table so the long edge is parallel to the window. Then put two chairs on that edge and you can look out the window while sitting at the table.
            Andi
            Brookings SD
            2018 Reflection 337RLS
            2019 GMC Sierra 3500HD Duramax

Comment

All good suggestions. Short term, I'm going to move the table a little and clip a towel on the end. I'm trying to avoid adding yet another item to my "ready to move the trailer" checklist so whatever long term solution I use won't include a pool noodle but short term that seems like a great idea too. Ultimately the more I look at it, the more I agree that it's the island that needs to move. I have only probably an inch of clearance on that side but it might be enough. Or maybe it's a combination. In any case, this is extremely tight!

We get such a narrow window of sunny weather in this state and I'd very much like to avoid wasting it with the trailer sitting in a dealer service garage. I contacted Grand Design today for a pre-authorization number and will look into seeing if I can put off the repair until after summer is over when the dealers aren't so hammered.

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                thirdwaver
                The easiest adjustment to make is to move the table. Four screws into the floor as you mention. Before you do this, measure the distance from the table to the window with the slide all the way out and all the way in. You will have to stay within the smaller of these two measurements. Ask me how I know this .
                Interesting. When you said measure the distance from the table to the window, did you mean the actual glass or do you mean the place where the blind comes down? One of the things I'm thinking about is how close I want to get inside the "blinds" territory. If I took it to just outside of the blind area, I'd probably have moved the table 2". I think that might be enough, but now you have me thinking that the table will still wobble into the island.

We did have our island moved slightly towards the other side, but there was not enough adjustment towards the other retracted slide, to completely eliminate the table to island contact.
                So you moved the table and had the island moved and that still wasn't enough? Or you tried the island first, then moved the table because it wasn't enough?

Comment

Working...
                X