Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2018 303rls kitchen slide denting-tearing flooring.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We also were lucky enough to have signed up for the rally in Hot Springs because GD was there to diagnose the problem with our slide. They will take care of it when we drop it off next June when coming into Indiana. The 303’s built after 2018 have the 1” floor mine is a 2018 and it has a 3/4” thick floor.. Very impressed that GD will help me with this issue even after warranty expired,
    Vivian
    2018 Reflection 303rls
    Ford F-350 diesel long bed 4 x 4 SRW
    Demco Recon

Comment

Update on my 303 Slide/Linoleum Repair. Grand Design did this at their Factory Service Center, week of 10-7-19.

What was found was, the slide was not adjusted correctly, causing the damage to the floor (vertical position adjustment) while extending and retracting. After several attempts at adjusting the slide to not “Ride” on the linoleum when Extending or Retracting, they were able to accomplish this adjustment. They also repaired the floor area where the slide was tearing off the top side of the Linoleum. This Linoleum repair looked good.
      (No rollers were added, or any repair to the floor of the slide.)

The slide still is very close to the linoleum when I start extending the slide outward, until the weight starts to transfers out and when retracting.
      (This is about 3-4 inches going out, and the last 3 -4 inches coming in during retracting). I would guess, I have around 1/16th to 1/8” gap max in this area of “Close to the Linoleum”.

I asked if the slide adjustment was out from the initial build of the trailer, or if the traveling on our great roads we have caused this issue? They were not sure on why it was out of adjustment.

I asked GD, what happens ”If” the slide was to tear the Linoleum again. Their response was, “we will repair the unit”.

Do I feel, this fix will solve the issue ? I’m not sure at this point.

Seems, there is different ways this is being addressed.
      1) Rob, has a couple rollers on his slide from what I have read here. (Using slide slickers)
      2) I know a couple who got 1 center roller. (slide roller is denting the floor. They are using a thin metal plate that show the denting also. I seen this as I camped with them, my first repair at my dealer)
      3) I have also heard as many as 4-5 rollers across this slide. (seen this somewhere on the internet)
      4) I got no rollers (considering using thin boards again, as I did until recent repair, which no one should have to do.

I wonder, how are the late 2019 and new 2020 street side slide are being addressed for this issue?

Steve

Steve
      2018 Reflection 303
      2023 F350 Lariat, 4 x 4 CCSB.
      Diesel, Star White.

Comment

Superduty

Hi Steve,

Slide “adjustment” is an interesting thing. The slide box can be adjusted left-to-right to make sure that it is centred in the opening and the outer edge of the box can be adjusted up/down and in/out to get the slide box flush to the wall when all the way in or tight to the inner flange when all the way out. There is absolutely no adjustment for the slide box while it is travelling between fully out and fully in. It just rolls across the fixed rollers on the outer edge of the main floor. There is no adjustment on these rollers or the bottom surface of the slide that rolls across them. Our heavy contact point is with the slides half way in/out. There is nothing to adjust at this part of the travel.

They could lower the outer side of the slide box to lift the inner side away from the floor during travel, but this would have an affect on the slide fit to the wall when fully in or fully out. Does your slide fit tight and uniformly to the wall when fully in and fully out, after they have adjusted it to clear the floor?

Rob
        Cate & Rob
        (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
        2015 Reflection 303RLS
        2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

• Superduty
          Superduty commented
          Editing a comment
          Rob,
          The slide is a good fit on the outside wall, except the front lower area by the metal sheeting. It is bowed outward on the edge, and inward where it meets the slide body. It also pull the rubber seal off in that area when extending the slide. I’m concern that it is putting stress on the lower wall.

Originally posted by Superduty View Post
        Update on my 303 Slide/Linoleum Repair. Grand Design did this at their Factory Service Center, week of 10-7-19.

What was found was, the slide was not adjusted correctly, causing the damage to the floor (vertical position adjustment) while extending and retracting. After several attempts at adjusting the slide to not “Ride” on the linoleum when Extending or Retracting, they were able to accomplish this adjustment. They also repaired the floor area where the slide was tearing off the top side of the Linoleum. This Linoleum repair looked good.
        (No rollers were added, or any repair to the floor of the

I wonder, how are the late 2019 and new 2020 street side slide are being addressed for this issue?

Steve

Superduty, at the rally the tech from GD was able to adjust the kitchen slide to lift the middle roller just enough to get it off the floor. Otherwise as Lippert had told me when I was at their facility in July for annual bearing work, my slides were adjusted correctly. Been traveling since then still have another 600 miles to get back to my winter landing pad. I have had to use the plexiglass to protect the floor. Adjustment did work at first but it’s still gouging the plexiglass. I have an appointment with GD next June when I travel north to replace the floor under the slide to 1” thick ply. Mine is a 2018 model with build date of 2017 I believe this issue was rectified on late 2018-2019 units which were made with the 1” ply vs the 3/4” ply.
        Vivian
        2018 Reflection 303rls
        Demco Recon

Comment

• Superduty
          Superduty commented
          Editing a comment
          Beachcamper,
          I just got off the phone with GD. April, 2020 I take my 303 back to the factory for the slide repair. Valerie said, it most likely will have to have the 1" floor installed. Valerie did not mention rollers, but it is their call on the repair.
          I could of got it in sooner, but weather wise I decided to wait to Mid April.
          Last edited by Superduty; 10-22-2019, 11:01 AM.

Beachcamper,
        My build date was Oct 2017 also. (Ordered)

GD did talk about replacing my 3/4 board to 1", and adding rollers across the slide floor. Neither happened. They replaced/repaired the linoleum and adjusted the slide.
        (As Rob F said about replacing the slide floor board, "your replacing your foundation for your slide". A major undertaking).

While putting up my unit for winter, I played with the slide some. The only part riding the floor are the 2 corners square black wood trim pieces. They drag around 1 1/2 " only. The rest of the slide does not touch the flloor at all, with about 3/16-1/4" gap between the floor and slide floor.
        But, on the outside, the front lower flange is bowed outward, from the adjustment done to the slide, and pulls the rubber seal off the unit when opening the slide. That concern me also.

I'm going to talk to GD about this and see what they say. I have a call into them currently. Once I talk with them, I will update.
        Until then, I will place some thin boards under the 2 areas that drag, to prevent a linoleum issue again. (Next spring of course)

Steve

10-22-19: I just got off the phone with GD. April, 2020 I take my 303 back to the factory for the slide repair. Valerie said, it most likely will have to have the 1" floor installed. Valerie did not mention rollers, but it is their call on the repair.
        I could of got it in sooner, but weather wise I decided to wait to Mid April.
        Last edited by Superduty; 10-22-2019, 11:04 AM.
        Steve
        2018 Reflection 303
        Diesel, Star White.

Comment

Rob,

What is the thickness of your slickers?

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post
            Rob,

What is the thickness of your slickers?

Jim
            Hi Jim,

The LCI Slickers are about 1/4” thick.

Rob
            Cate & Rob
            2015 Reflection 303RLS
            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Rob,

Do they completely protect the floor? No deformation of the slicker?

I was thinking about stainless steel in 1/8th but if the Lippert models do the job it would be much cheaper to just buy them.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post
                Rob,

Do they completely protect the floor? No deformation of the slicker?

I was thinking about stainless steel in 1/8th but if the Lippert models do the job it would be much cheaper to just buy them.

Jim

Hi Jim,

The LCI "SlideOut Slicker" strips are about 6" wide and made from a tough nylon type material. They have to be placed strategically where there are signs of slide contact with the flooring. For us, this is the ends of the dining/recliner slide and the centre two travelling rollers of the kitchen slide. They are showing considerable wear from multiple slide travel over the tops of them, but they are doing their job and keeping this wear from happening to the flooring.

The underside of the strips has softer foam bands to grip the floor. One end also has projections to grip carpet. These have to be removed if they end up positioned over the vinyl flooring because the weight of the slide will push these projections into the vinyl.

Rob
                Attached Files
                Cate & Rob
                2015 Reflection 303RLS
                Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

On the linoleum, do they stay in place just from the foam backs or do you have to hold them in place while the slide comes in somehow? Did you have to cut them down for kitchen slide?
                  2018 Reflection 303rls
                  MORryde IS, FlexArmor roof
                  Blue Ox Super Ride hitch
                  2017 Ford F350 CCSB SRW

Comment

I posted another solution to the expensive slickers on first page. Emily recommended the plexiglass and it has worked well to protect the floor. I no longer use the anti slip mat just have my better half stand on edge of it to get roller started as slide is coming in.

https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...=2511#post2511
                    Vivian
                    2018 Reflection 303rls
                    Demco Recon

Comment

Beach camper,
                      I did a cheap way. Took a old entrainment center back board, and cut it down. These slid with the slide for about 2”, until the weight started to transfer out.
                      I put a string on them, and tied to a cabinet door handle to travel. Once I set up, I pull the string to reposition them, and let the magic happen.

I also talked to GD today. My 5er goes back to them April 2020, for adding the 1” board on slide floor. Not sure on the rollers, however I think there will be some on the new board/recessed into the board.
                      thanks to Grand Design, for taking care of this for us.

Steve
                      2018 Reflection 303
                      Diesel, Star White.

Comment

Originally posted by wygieman View Post
                        On the linoleum, do they stay in place just from the foam backs or do you have to hold them in place while the slide comes in somehow? Did you have to cut them down for kitchen slide?
                        For the dining/recliner slide, I pull the slide in about 4" and tuck the full length slickers under the slide at it's very ends. These slickers still have a couple of the carpet nubs and the end ridge, so they stay put as the slide comes in.

For the kitchen slide, I had to cut down the length of one slicker to clear the island, so I cut both the same. I cut off both ends of the original slickers, to have sections that have foam strips for their full length. I marked where the centre rollers are located on the slide so that I can easily position these slickers. They are loose as the slide starts in, heavily loaded at about half travel and loose again when the slide is fully in. They stay put while retracting or extending the slide, but they tend to move out of position while travelling (because they are loose with the slide fully in) so we have to check that they are in position as we extend this slide.

Rob
                        Attached Files
                        Cate & Rob
                        2015 Reflection 303RLS
                        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Superduty View Post
                          Beach camper,
                          I did a cheap way. Took a old entrainment center back board, and cut it down. These slid with the slide for about 2”, until the weight started to transfer out.
                          I put a string on them, and tied to a cabinet door handle to travel. Once I set up, I pull the string to reposition them, and let the magic happen.

I also talked to GD today. My 5er goes back to them April 2020, for adding the 1” board on slide floor. Not sure on the rollers, however I think there will be some on the new board/recessed into the board.
                          thanks to Grand Design, for taking care of this for us.
                          I have a June 2020 appt hope all goes well with both of ours. Very happy GD is taking care of us on this issue.
                          Vivian
                          2018 Reflection 303rls
                          Demco Recon

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post

Hi Jim,

The LCI "SlideOut Slicker" strips are about 6" wide and made from a tough nylon type material. They have to be placed strategically where there are signs of slide contact with the flooring. For us, this is the ends of the dining/recliner slide and the centre two travelling rollers of the kitchen slide. They are showing considerable wear from multiple slide travel over the tops of them, but they are doing their job and keeping this wear from happening to the flooring.

The underside of the strips has softer foam bands to grip the floor. One end also has projections to grip carpet. These have to be removed if they end up positioned over the vinyl flooring because the weight of the slide will push these projections into the vinyl.

Rob
                            Rob,

I'm not having an issue with my slide so far, but I'm thinking these slickers or some alternate method of protecting my linoleum will ensure there are no future issues. We are going on our last trip this coming weekend where I'll have a chance to look this over closely on Thursday and over the weekend.

Question: On the models that are being damaged, is it the brackets that are touching the floor that is causing the gouging? Or is the roller shaft so sloppy that it allows the rollers to rotate (upward in the middle) where its only supported by the attachment at the bracket on each side? I could see this resulting in a concentrated load on each side and little support at the center of the rollers since it looks like two rollers are used in a single bracket rather than a single full width roller. This would be more stable.

It looks like the roller pic provided by the OP looks to have a bend in the cross bolt as well which would also reduce support in the middle of the roller assembly.

Jim
                            Last edited by Guest; 10-22-2019, 06:05 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X