Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2018 303rls kitchen slide denting-tearing flooring.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Jim,

On our heavy kitchen side slide, there was no obvious contact between the slide rollers and the vinyl floor for the first few years. More recently, we could see indentations the width of the rollers in the vinyl floor where the travelling rollers would touch down at about mid-travel of the slide going in or out. These rollers seem to be doing their job in protecting the vinyl from the slide but are pressing hard enough on the vinyl to leave indentations. Using the slide slickers prevents these indentations.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Rob,

From the OP pic it looks like there is more force being applied at each side of the roller. Whatever the root cause, I will begin using something (most likely the slickers) under the rollers on my Imagine.

This rig is supposed to take me through several years of retirement and I have not retired yet. Lol.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post

Rob,

I'm not having an issue with my slide so far, but I'm thinking these slickers or some alternate method of protecting my linoleum will ensure there are no future issues. We are going on our last trip this coming weekend where I'll have a chance to look this over closely on Thursday and over the weekend.

Question: On the models that are being damaged, is it the brackets that are touching the floor that is causing the gouging? Or is the roller shaft so sloppy that it allows the rollers to rotate (upward in the middle) where its only supported by the attachment at the bracket on each side? I could see this resulting in a concentrated load on each side and little support at the center of the rollers since it looks like two rollers are used in a single bracket rather than a single full width roller. This would be more stable.

It looks like the roller pic provided by the OP looks to have a bend in the cross bolt as well which would also reduce support in the middle of the roller assembly.

Jim
        Check out first page of this post I put pictures up to show what was wrong. It is an issue with reflection 303 2017 certain 2018 models so may have nothing to do with your rig.
        Vivian
        2018 Reflection 303rls
        Ford F-350 diesel long bed 4 x 4 SRW
        Demco Recon

Comment

Beachcamper,

I do not have an issue with my Imagine but am still interested in understanding the issue(s). I have seen pics elsewhere of the two grooves in folks flooring. Maybe there are a few things going on here?

Jim

Comment

This thread has been dormant for a few months but I have some questions maybe someone can help with. I have the problem now fairly significantly and I am not satisfied with only sticking with the slide slicker workaround. Also, being in NC, getting the unit to GD for a real fix is problematic. I removed the trim piece in front of the kitchen slide to look at what is causing the linoleum damage. The 2018 303rls build used 4 rollers mounted to the edge of the floor to support the 3/4” floor of the slide. On the slide itself, they have 3 x 18” plastic rub strips about 1/2” thick to slide on the linoleum when the slide touches down when extended or retracted. On my unit the rollers are 4’ apart and, between the two rollers in the middle, the floor sags a measurable 1/2” - At the start of the plastic piece nearest the roller, it is roughly 1/2” above the floor. At the other end of the plastic piece, it is almost touching the floor when fully extended, it is difficult to get a slide slicker under it. Interestingly, there is no measurable sag in the floor when it is fully retracted and in the air. It is the pressure on the roller from the weight causing the sag apparently. The result of the sag is that the sharp edge of the plastic contacts the floor on an angle and rips the linoleum. As a fix, a friend of mine has used the 1/2” rubber/felt furniture moving pads by gluing them onto the plastic strips to protect the floor from sharp edges. It seems to work and I plan to do mine shortly. What I would like to know is whether anyone has tried to reinforce the front edge of the floor to minimize the sag? I was wondering whether an aluminum angle or some such had been tried successfully. Also I was wondering whether anyone (or had dealers who did) had tried adding rollers to the front of the slide itself as it appears they have done as part of the real fix. My unit is only 2.5 years old with about 17,000 miles on it. It had no problem the first year, then the plastic at the aft end of the island began marking and gouging, then later the plastic at the front end of the island began gouging, and I wonder what is next.
            2018 Reflection 303rls
            MORryde IS, FlexArmor roof
            Blue Ox Super Ride hitch
            2017 Ford F350 CCSB SRW

Comment

wygieman

Would happen to have some pictures of the rollers and the slide piece that is attached under the slide? You have mentioned that you removed the trim piece and I was wondering if you might have taken a few pictures. With regards to an aluminum angle for support I think it would take a rather large and thick piece of aluminum angle to support the floor on that long of a distance.

Brian
              Brian & Michelle
              2018 Reflection 29RS
              2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

I will take some pictures and post them later today. I agree that the span of the entire slide is long but rollers are only 4’ apart so it is only a 4’ section of sag at a time that needs supported. The interesting thing to me is that there seems to be no separation in the joints on the cabinetry, it seems to be structurally fine (at least until it isn’t). The sag seems to be in the lip that sticks out from the cabinetry. The entire weight of the slide is on the 4” roller holding up the 3/4” plywood floor without any structural support.
                2018 Reflection 303rls
                Blue Ox Super Ride hitch
                2017 Ford F350 CCSB SRW

Comment

wygieman

I have an earlier build 303RLS that has travelling rollers where your's has the travelling sliders that are digging into the vinyl flooring. (foam covered roller to the left in the attached picture) These rollers were also causing visible indentations at the centre of the slide . . . so, replacing your sliders with rollers is not going to solve the problem. This is where I use the slide slickers to protect the flooring as shown in a previous picture.

There has been considerable discussion about Grand Design strengthening/replacing the slide floor to prevent this bowing while the slide is moving. This sounds like a major tear-up to the slide, since all the cabinetry is installed onto this floor. If someone has had this done, we would like to learn the details.

Bottom line . . . placing the slide slickers (for both slides) is just part of our closing up procedure and takes only a moment to do.

Rob
                  Attached Files
                  Cate & Rob
                  2015 Reflection 303RLS
                  Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by wygieman View Post

This thread has been dormant for a few months but I have some questions maybe someone can help with. I have the problem now fairly significantly and I am not satisfied with only sticking with the slide slicker workaround. Also, being in NC, getting the unit to GD for a real fix is problematic. I removed the trim piece in front of the kitchen slide to look at what is causing the linoleum damage. The 2018 303rls build used 4 rollers mounted to the edge of the floor to support the 3/4” floor of the slide. On the slide itself, they have 3 x 18” plastic rub strips about 1/2” thick to slide on the linoleum when the slide touches down when extended or retracted. On my unit the rollers are 4’ apart and, between the two rollers in the middle, the floor sags a measurable 1/2” - At the start of the plastic piece nearest the roller, it is roughly 1/2” above the floor. At the other end of the plastic piece, it is almost touching the floor when fully extended, it is difficult to get a slide slicker under it. Interestingly, there is no measurable sag in the floor when it is fully retracted and in the air. It is the pressure on the roller from the weight causing the sag apparently. The result of the sag is that the sharp edge of the plastic contacts the floor on an angle and rips the linoleum. As a fix, a friend of mine has used the 1/2” rubber/felt furniture moving pads by gluing them onto the plastic strips to protect the floor from sharp edges. It seems to work and I plan to do mine shortly. What I would like to know is whether anyone has tried to reinforce the front edge of the floor to minimize the sag? I was wondering whether an aluminum angle or some such had been tried successfully. Also I was wondering whether anyone (or had dealers who did) had tried adding rollers to the front of the slide itself as it appears they have done as part of the real fix. My unit is only 2.5 years old with about 17,000 miles on it. It had no problem the first year, then the plastic at the aft end of the island began marking and gouging, then later the plastic at the front end of the island began gouging, and I wonder what is next.
                    Early build Reflections (the 2014 and 2015s and possibly other models and years of GDRVs) were built with 5 I think, rollers under the slide. I thought I had pictures but do not. It seems that Rob Cate&Rob has shared pictures of slides with rollers over the years and possibly will chime in on this.

Adding rollers would seem to be a viable and good option for your 303. I suspect it would be challenging to do even where the slide is "tipped" outwards allowing for most room to operate between the bottom of the slide and main RV floor. If not, hyper-extending the slide may be necessary ( which done often by the GDRV factory service center) would be challenging for we mere mortals.

Dan
                    Dan & Carol
                    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
                    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

I will take some pictures and post them later today. I agree that the span of the entire slide is long but rollers are only 4’ apart so it is only a 4’ section of sag at a time that needs supported. The interesting thing to me is that there seems to be no separation in the joints on the cabinetry, it seems to be structurally fine (at least until it isn’t). The sag seems to be in the lip that sticks out from the cabinetry. The entire weight of the slide is on the 4” roller holding up the 3/4” plywood floor without any structural support.
                      wygleman,
                      I was one of the ones having your same issue on my 303. SInce the winter months, and the Covid-19, things came to a halt until now. I have rescheduled last week for the repair.
                      What you described in post #35, yup pretty much the same as mine.

Update on mine: Early June, mine goes in for 2 weeks at the factory (I'm 1 1/2hrs from there.). They will be replacing the slide floor on my unit. They will replace with a 1" thick floor board w/recessed rollers.
                      Appx time for this is 2 weeks (80hrs).
                      I asked the factory to do the repair as I lost all trust in my dealer, and it is closer than the dealer anyway.

The current floor sags, as I think it is only a 5/8" or 3/4" board. Adding more thickness and recess rolloers will help the sag when moving in/out.
                      My corners ride on the floors for a couple inches where they have tore the linoleum before. I do place a thin board under each end of the side when extending/retracting so I do not damage the floor again.

I suggest, calling Grand design. They have been helpful with mine. Ask, maybe they can send a transporter to get you 303 and return it to you.
                      Once I get my unit repaired, I will update this tread, along with pictures.
                      Steve
                      2018 Reflection 303
                      2023 F350 Lariat, 4 x 4 CCSB.
                      Diesel, Star White.

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                        wygieman

I have an earlier build 303RLS that has travelling rollers where your's has the travelling sliders that are digging into the vinyl flooring. (foam covered roller to the left in the attached picture) These rollers were also causing visible indentations at the centre of the slide . . . so, replacing your sliders with rollers is not going to solve the problem. This is where I use the slide slickers to protect the flooring as shown in a previous picture.

There has been considerable discussion about Grand Design strengthening/replacing the slide floor to prevent this bowing while the slide is moving. This sounds like a major tear-up to the slide, since all the cabinetry is installed onto this floor. If someone has had this done, we would like to learn the details.

Bottom line . . . placing the slide slickers (for both slides) is just part of our closing up procedure and takes only a moment to do.

Rob
                        Thanks, Rob - as usual you are on top of things ! As a side note, the slide rollers on our 303 have done any damage to our main floor. It may be just the difference in years for some reason....(build changes, slide adjustment/other......hmmm ?) I do not recall anyone bringing this item up with 2014 303s. This said we do have thin rugs covering our main floor but they never bunch up or have gotten moved or marks from the slide rollers.

Dan
                        Dan & Carol

Comment

Originally posted by Canyonlight View Post

Thanks, Rob - as usual you are on top of things ! As a side note, the slide rollers on our 303 have done any damage to our main floor. It may be just the difference in years for some reason....(build changes, slide adjustment/other......hmmm ?) I do not recall anyone bringing this item up with 2014 303s. This said we do have thin rugs covering our main floor but they never bunch up or have gotten moved or marks from the slide rollers.

Dan
                          Hi Dan,

Maybe I need to move all those cases of IPA in the pantry to some other location? .

Rob
                          Cate & Rob
                          2015 Reflection 303RLS
                          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Hi Dan,

Maybe I need to move all those cases of IPA in the pantry to some other location? .

Rob
                            Amazon will ship those IPAs to SD and I will "keep" them for you.......yea, that's it........ in our pantry ! Looking forward to our next beverage learning events with you, Jim, and others !

Dan
                            Dan & Carol

Comment

wygieman

Rob
                              Is it correct that your model has 3 rollers on the slide like the 3 plastic sliders in the 2018? I thought I read somewhere that in the fix they are putting 5 rollers on the floor and another 4 rollers on the slide. Is that correct? One of the problems using the slide slickers is that the sag is getting so bad that the end of the slicker doesn’t easily slide under the plastic slider (no room). It makes bringing the slide in a two person operation which is less than ideal. My concern is that it will continue to get worse until there is some kind of structural failure. I think this problem has all been aggravated by the move to the larger refrigerator so the problem in the 2018’s may be worse. My cases of IPA are stored under the couch
                              Superduty. Please do update us on how the upgrade works out. I hadn’t considered using a transporter.
                              2018 Reflection 303rls
                              Blue Ox Super Ride hitch
                              2017 Ford F350 CCSB SRW

Comment

Is it correct that your model has 3 rollers on the slide like the 3 plastic sliders in the 2018? I thought I read somewhere that in the fix they are putting 5 rollers on the floor and another 4 rollers on the slide. Is that correct? One of the problems using the slide slickers is that the sag is getting so bad that the end of the slicker doesn’t easily slide under the plastic slider (no room). It makes bringing the slide in a two person operation which is less than ideal. My concern is that it will continue to get worse until there is some kind of structural failure. I think this problem has all been aggravated by the move to the larger refrigerator so the problem in the 2018’s may be worse. My cases of IPA are stored under the couch
                                Superduty. Please do update us on how the upgrade works out. I hadn’t considered using a transporter.
                                wyglemen,
                                My 18, 303. The first things they did when my floor tore, was to remove those 3 plastic sliders (I forgot about these). They also trimmed the wood facing to be even with the floor board bottom (Still orginal floor board at this point.)
                                Currently, both ends of the slide when coming in, at the last 4" from being fully in, the side dives right down the the floor. So this is why, I use boards in these area.
                                The next repair will be a thicker 1" floor board, rw/ecessed rollers. How many rollers, ???? Or at least, this is what the plan is.
                                I will update once completed. Schedule is 6/4 to start the repair. And a Thanks to GD for staying in touch and doing the repaIR.
                                Steve
                                2018 Reflection 303
                                2023 F350 Lariat, 4 x 4 CCSB.
                                Diesel, Star White.

Comment

Working...
                                X