Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2018 303rls kitchen slide denting-tearing flooring.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2018 303rls kitchen slide denting-tearing flooring.

I am on a long summer trip and noticed a few weeks ago that there is a circular rip near island flanked by track depressions. While I was in Elkhart for some wheel bearing maintenance at Lippert, I had them see if the slide was out of alignment. They said it was in alignment and was sealing well. While they were working on my rig I went over to grand design HQ to pickup another decal to replace the one on my rig that had bubbled. I showed the pic of the flooring that was damaged and asked if maybe they might have another piece of flooring left over from a recent build. My plan is to use that piece to do my repair of the area. Luckily, she scored me a nice piece with same pattern.

After looking at some posts here and GD owners forum, it seems that this is something that is “normal” and I should just buy the overpriced slickers from Lippert after I fix the area. Before I go to fixing this damaged area, I want to see if anyone else has experienced this same thing and if there is another solution to prevent the dented / floor other than the slide slickers.

Attached Files
    Last edited by Beachcamper; 07-28-2019, 09:02 PM.
    Vivian
    2018 Reflection 303rls
    Ford F-350 diesel long bed 4 x 4 SRW
    Demco Recon

In case anyone is wanting to protect their floor on the cheap. I posted this on GD Facebook page and Emily suggested using plexiglass to protect floor in the meantime. I did buy a piece and Lowe’s cut it down the middle. I used a non slip mat under it to see if it worked and sure enough it did. The roller is marking the plexiglass as you can see in the image. Afterwards I put some double sided tape and cut the mat to fit so it’s one piece and easy to deploy when on the move. The middle roller is an issue that will have to be addressed when we get back into Florida. It is concerning.
    Attached Files
    Vivian
    2018 Reflection 303rls
    Demco Recon

Comment

I certainly hope this is not something that is considered as normal and is to be just accepted or dealt with in some manner w/o finding the real issue and getting it corrected.. Early 303s and other models did not have floor denting or tearing issues. This seems to be something that has arisen over the last couple of years with some regularity.

The question is what is different or what has changed to have this happening and what needs to be done to fix it. A band-aid approach as a longer term solution is not acceptable and I would be most surprised that GDRV would share this view.

Dan
      Dan & Carol
      2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
      2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

Dan, we are fulltime in our 303 and are weight conscious because we are in a small rig with limited payload. We are well within the GVWR and had all 4 wheels weighed independently. That is a very heavy slide and as of 2018 they changed out the stove and convection micro which are REALLY nice and work well. I don’t know if these are heavier than the previous years.

The slider box has a floor that might need to be beefed up to not bow in the middle with that long span. The problem is in the middle, which is between pantry and stove. I do not find it normal either but will have dealer look at it, Lippert said slide is in alignment as per my visit there last week. I am diligent about yearly suspension and slide inspections.

So it is the box and roller design that is the issue and that would require me to move out of my home for who knows how long at the mercy of one of the dealerships. I don’t trust that they will do a good job of repair either. Will keep all posted when I get it looked at. Still close to Elkhart as we are near Indianapolis visiting family.
        Vivian
        2018 Reflection 303rls
        Demco Recon

Comment

Originally posted by Canyonlight View Post
          I certainly hope this is not something that is considered as normal and is to be just accepted or dealt with in some manner w/o finding the real issue and getting it corrected.. Early 303s and other models did not have floor denting or tearing issues. This seems to be something that has arisen over the last couple of years with some regularity.

The question is what is different or what has changed to have this happening and what needs to be done to fix it. A band-aid approach as a longer term solution is not acceptable and I would be most surprised that GDRV would share this view.

Dan
          Hi Dan,

Our 2015 303RLS has been doing this almost since new on the curb side and for the last couple of years on the street side. Grand Design gave me the first pair of Slide Slickers at the 2015 Rally and said that this was the best fix. We have used these ever since. More recently, I noticed indentations as Beachcamper describes from the travelling two rollers near the centre of the street (heavy) slide. Careful examination determined that the slide floor bows down in the center as the slide comes in and touches the floor quite heavily as the slide reached the balance point half way in. When the slide is all the way out or all the way in and against the wall flange, it is not touching the floor. I use a shortened pair of Slide Slickers to do the same thing as Beachcamper is doing with the plexiglass. We should look for an opportunity to discuss this further with Grand Design at the Rally.

Rob
          Attached Files
          Cate & Rob
          (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
          2015 Reflection 303RLS
          2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Thanks, guys.....appreciate the feedback. Rob - I thought you started using the slickers to protect the carpet from getting dirty when retracting the curb side slide. I must have forgotten that you also use them on the street side slide to protect the floor from potential damage. Thanks, for the picture.......it jogs my memory now.

We have had our street side panty heavily loaded many times not to mention the fridge and cabinets. When we weighed on one trip the RV was at 11,500ish. We have never had issues with rollers damaging the floor. We also had the walls replaced last year and even now the rollers do not make contact with and thus damage the floor. We do have rugs covering most of the floor and carpet but have never seen marks on the rugs nor have they moved.

The key item here is that the GDRV folks which many of us grew up with and helped build over the last several years would not have let a significant condition like this go on w/o jumping on it and making corrections I suspect this is still true today and would diligently wish to get this condition resolved.

Dan
            Last edited by Canyonlight; 07-31-2019, 08:56 AM.
            Dan & Carol
            2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
            2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

While I am on this post wanted to share a fix for the tear in the floor.

Last edited by howson; 07-31-2019, 08:56 AM. Reason: Linked video.
              Vivian
              2018 Reflection 303rls
              Demco Recon

Comment

We have the same problem on our 2019 311 BHS, kitchen linoleum has ripped twice, 1st time GD fixed under warranty, 2nd time(now) dealer is fixing at their cost because GD won’t pay. Sounds like a design or construction issue. Sad because we really like our GD, best build quality of any make except for this issue.

Comment

Originally posted by cmcallaster View Post
                  We have the same problem on our 2019 311 BHS, kitchen linoleum has ripped twice, 1st time GD fixed under warranty, 2nd time(now) dealer is fixing at their cost because GD won’t pay. Sounds like a design or construction issue. Sad because we really like our GD, best build quality of any make except for this issue.
                  You might want to use Lippert's "Slide Out Slicker" in the future: https://www.amazon.com/Lippert-13499.../dp/B00JMHFEU8

That you have to consider using the product is unfortunate...but at least there's a work-around.
                  Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

2019 reflection have tear on floor near refer. Thanks for info on plexiglas and repair. Took unit to a certified dealer who had it 3 weeks repaired floor slide still ripped repair. I took unit home and found nylon bumper ( black piece under trim ) had pulled loose. Screws hold it in place so I gluenyond it back up. I will try plexiglass as dealer said slide adjustment is perfect. I saw specs on adjusting somewhere, has a

Comment

Did anyone who went to Elkhart rally have a chance to discuss this issue with GD? I signed up for Arkansas rally hoping to get a diagnosis. The plexiglass still works but the wheel have actually scored the sheet, thankfully did not go through to the floor.
                      Vivian
                      2018 Reflection 303rls
                      Demco Recon

Comment

Originally posted by Beachcamper View Post
                        Did anyone who went to Elkhart rally have a chance to discuss this issue with GD? I signed up for Arkansas rally hoping to get a diagnosis. The plexiglass still works but the wheel have actually scored the sheet, thankfully did not go through to the floor.
                        Cate&Rob ?
                        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by Beachcamper View Post
                          Hi Beachcamper,

I did not have an opportunity to talk with GDRV about this at the Rally. I did hear discussion about others having this problem with the slide floor bowing down end-to-end and also between the outer wall and the inner flange. Since I also have this issue (under control using Slide Slickers on both slides) let me champion this with GDRV-Emily to see if we can get a factory response/position on this.

Rob
                          Cate & Rob
                          (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                          2015 Reflection 303RLS
                          2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Canyonlight View Post

Dan
                            Hi Dan,

i concur and allow me to explain my opinion as to WHY.

I believe, at some point, GD started (or maybe always have) using 3/4" plywood as slide floor bottoms.
                            Trouble is, I believe in my case, 3/4" plywood was expected to endure the length span of fourteen feet and maintain a straight integrity, without temperature, weight and gravity affecting it adversely.
                            I think the combination of this thickness material connected to 3 sided bonded foam panels (wt sparse aluminum framing) lacks the structural integrity to maintain the dimensions required of a rigid rectangle.
                            Perhaps slides with less than a 14 ft span do not have this problem ... IDK ?

It appears GD design teams may have anticipated that the insertion of the middle pantry would function as both a solid "spacer" and an integral structural support to maintain that rigidity. Was that expectation overly ambitious ??
                            Even though the slide may be screwed from the top down and bottom up (into the pantry), there does not appear to be enough integrity in the roof panel to offset the other mitigating factors. IF the roof panel is 3/8" OSB like the main roof is, then it is likely incapable of providing enough structural integrity on its own.
                            If it is a laminated foam panel, it may be even less capable of the task. When you factor in time, motion, & temperature fluctuations, structural weaknesses and weight bearing gravitational forces in motion come into play. This may be the cause of deflection.

Both my previous two fivers had 1" OSB slide floors and I never had an issue with deflection because, in part, OSB has no memory, plywood develops one over time.

This is only my opinion and I do not state to know the actual construction or design parameters that were/are being utilized by Grand Design.

Michael
                            Last edited by Da Breeze; 10-22-2019, 01:29 PM.
                            F-250 7.3 PSD Lariat LB 25 row aux transmission cooler, A&E Air Intake system, TS-6 Performance chip, Air Ride airbags, Bilstein shocks, 152 K

2017 307 MKS 9,875 UVW 12,995 GVWR 1,605 Pin wt.

Comment

• Canyonlight
                              Canyonlight commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Michael - good feedback......I appreciate you taking the time to share your experiences, understanding, and thoughts.

Getting feedback in some detail from GDRV will be helpful to understand construction details and changes which have occurred over the years resulting in the tearing floor issues being reported of the last couple of years.

Dan

My 2018, 303 is currently at GD Service Center for the exact same thing. Tearing floor, Street Side Slide.
                            This is the second repair. First time, the dealer did not follow GD advice on repairing. So I asked for assistance from GD. Thank You GD, and Emily.
                            I had Zero Confidence in the dealer doing this repair again.

I dropped off the 5er Monday Oct 7th, so all I can say at this point it what I was told they will be doing on the repair at check in.

GD will pull the slide completely out of the coach.
                            They will replace the bottom board to a 1” thick board on the entire slide (no idea what thickness it has currently)
                            They will add slide rollers on the new board (not sure how many rollersyet). Most likely, recess the rollers in the 1” board.
                            Repair/Replace the floor, at least in the slide area where the tears are at.

The repair is scheduled to be completed in 10 days (Oct 16th, by C.O.B.), with pick up the same day.
                            Once I get my coach back, I will get a few pictures up here so all can see the repair, and update.

FYI. Since this tearing started back in July right after the first repair, I too was using thin boards to prevent more tearing. It did help 100%, but my damage was already done. Tears were at both ends at the slide and in the center, by the island/panty area, where the floor board warp downward.
                            Steve
                            2018 Reflection 303
                            2023 F350 Lariat, 4 x 4 CCSB.
                            Diesel, Star White.

Comment

Working...
                            X