Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PROBLEM SOLVED !

OK..let me recap the problem.

When the slide would go out it would catch of the rear and hang....until I brought it in and then extended the slide again with me pushing and then it would go out...it would beat the front out and stop and then the front would continue then stop.

When I would retract it, the front would hang up and the rear would come in... Unless I pulled on the front and helped it. Then it would come in....beat the rear and stop...

I could not do the reset procedure because it would hang up on both retract and extension...so the computer could never tell what needed to be reset....so the problem would just get worse...and did to the point where it would not fully retract.

This is how I solved it
    I put 2 - 4 foot 2x4's on the back side of the molding of the slide on both the front and rear.
    I extended the slide out until it compressed the 2x4's between the wall and molding and stopped the motors from turn.
    Then I performed the reset procedure using the 2 inch method as suggested above and then held the switch for 10 seconds...
    It took about 6 or 7 times before the computer reset itself...
    When I saw the slide was consistent at stopping at the same time and starting with no hangups.. I fully retracted the slide and removed the 2x4's.
    The slide came in even and both motors stopped at the same time.
    I held the button for 10 seconds after it stopped moving.

I then ran the slide in and out 3 times...each time holding the switch for 10 seconds after the motors stopped..

PROBLEM SOLVED

The slide now even closes tighter than it did before.

PROBLEM SOLVED...

So thank you all for the help.... Remember the 2x4 method !

2021 Reflection 295RL
    2004 Dodge 2500 Ram

US Navy CPO(ret)

Comment

Originally posted by dohertycm View Post
      So thank you all for the help....
      Awesome--you didn't give up and effectively made a "smaller room" with those 2x4s.
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by dohertycm View Post
        PROBLEM SOLVED !

OK..let me recap the problem.

When the slide would go out it would catch of the rear and hang....until I brought it in and then extended the slide again with me pushing and then it would go out...it would beat the front out and stop and then the front would continue then stop.

When I would retract it, the front would hang up and the rear would come in... Unless I pulled on the front and helped it. Then it would come in....beat the rear and stop...

I could not do the reset procedure because it would hang up on both retract and extension...so the computer could never tell what needed to be reset....so the problem would just get worse...and did to the point where it would not fully retract.

This is how I solved it
        I put 2 - 4 foot 2x4's on the back side of the molding of the slide on both the front and rear.
        I extended the slide out until it compressed the 2x4's between the wall and molding and stopped the motors from turn.
        Then I performed the reset procedure using the 2 inch method as suggested above and then held the switch for 10 seconds...
        It took about 6 or 7 times before the computer reset itself...
        When I saw the slide was consistent at stopping at the same time and starting with no hangups.. I fully retracted the slide and removed the 2x4's.
        The slide came in even and both motors stopped at the same time.
        I held the button for 10 seconds after it stopped moving.

I then ran the slide in and out 3 times...each time holding the switch for 10 seconds after the motors stopped..

PROBLEM SOLVED

The slide now even closes tighter than it did before.

PROBLEM SOLVED...

So thank you all for the help.... Remember the 2x4 method !

You are certifiably brilliant! This one will have to go into our collective memory banks for future reference. Thanks so much for posting the final solution!

Jim
        Jim and Ginnie
        2024 Solitude 310GK
        GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
        GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

GDRV-Megan
          GDRV-Emily

Can you please share the schwintek slide solution that dohertycm developed in post number 16 of this thread? Maybe customer service and maybe even the LCI folks for future trouble-shooting. It is a very unique solution for a difficult Schwintek synching problem.

Thanks,

Jim
          Jim and Ginnie
          2024 Solitude 310GK

Comment

So how did this solve the problem?

Did the 2 x 4 spacers stop the motors and some other point causing the motors to learn a new "home" position?

How did adding a 2 x 4 spacer change the motor or controller "memory"?

Brian
            Brian & Michelle
            2018 Reflection 29RS
            2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

When I first started reading this thread I thought the OP had a low battery voltage problem. Glad he was able to resolve it.
              Brian & Kellie
              2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
              2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
              2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
              2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
                So how did this solve the problem?

Did the 2 x 4 spacers stop the motors and some other point causing the motors to learn a new "home" position?

How did adding a 2 x 4 spacer change the motor or controller "memory"?

Brian
                By adding the 2x4s, he was able to get the motors to "sync" again. The motors have a Hall Effect Transistor which tells the motor where it is at positionally via the contol box. It doesn't matter where in the stroke the room is at as long as it stops in the same position on both sides. Once the motors are synced with the 2x4's in place, they are synced through the whole range.

Imagine the drive gear of the motors as the face of a clock. If one is at 2:00, and the other motor is at 5:00, they won't operate in unison. By placing the 2x4s against the slide, he was able to get past the slide sticking issue and get the motors syncronized so they are starting from the same place.

Syncronizing does not mean it sets the distance for the slide to move in or out, but rather it is for the motors to start and stop from the same place. By keeping the switch depressed for 3-5 seconds after stopping anytime the slide is extended or retracted the motors will keep in sync.

Jim
                Jim and Ginnie
                2024 Solitude 310GK

Comment

Please take a look at this video. This may also help in the future. Thanks!

https://youtu.be/hSafAnjxIV4

Comment

So, You are correct... I added the 2x4's on both sides of the slide on the inside to effectively make the room smaller...AND I was able to start moving the slide at a point where it was not catching. The video procedure above was not possible without adding the 2x4's as stops. The controller doesnt look at how far the slide will go out or in, it looks at amperage increase for when the slide stops...
                    So I "resynced" the motors and now I continue to hold the button in for 10 seconds after the slide stops...and I will avoid this problem again.

One more important thing to reiterate.... I used 2x4's that went from the floor to the top of the slide... if you just use a block on the bottom I think you would damage the trim. Using a long board spreads the load on the trim.
                    2021 Reflection 295RL
                    2004 Dodge 2500 Ram

US Navy CPO(ret)

Comment

There is nothing different in adding the 2x4s to stop the slide short than to use the wall to do the same thing. Nice that it worked but odd that you were not getting the same result at the end points. Are there any codes present? Also keep in mind the 2x4s will add a concentrated load to the contact points where the walls distribute this load over the entire contact surface.

Jim

Comment

No, The reason for stopping the slide short was because the slide was hanging up on one side. When I stopped it short and then tried to retract it.. it would not hang up. No codes on the controller. And the 2x4 was upright, so as to distribute the load over a wide surface and not a small contact point.
                        2021 Reflection 295RL
                        2004 Dodge 2500 Ram

US Navy CPO(ret)

Comment

Chris, I want to sincerely thank you for posting this problem and sharing your solution with the 2x4's! Yesterday our 2150RB Schwintec slide started doing the same thing it was doing on your 2600RB. I too was not able to re-sync the motors and was getting hung up on retracting and extending and the reset of the zero point of the motors was not able to happen. After reading your solution, I purchased two 4 foot 2x6's at Lowes today and prayed that it worked. Sure enough after about 5 or 6 times using the 2 inch method it the motors reset the zero point and now the slide is perfectly timed. It extends and retracts exceptionally well now.
                          THANK YOU!!!
                          This forum post was a God send!

Bob

Comment

Its disturbing the slide would become this out of shape. Another way to do this is to remove the harness from the controller opposite the dragging side to square up the system. Then hold the switch in at the end point to re-sync after re-connecting the harness.

Jim
                            Last edited by Guest; 04-28-2021, 12:30 PM.

Comment

dohertycm -- don't miss the kudos in post 27.

bazbob -- please check out the Welcome Letter to New Members at https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members
                              where you'll learn about quoting, tagging, and all kinds of other forum-related tips. (Welcome!)

Howard
                              Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

dohertycm TucsonJim Guest howson Country Campers As a thought, if I can explain it well, could the problem develop originally from the slide being out of adjustment fore and aft where it could put uneven pressure on the wall inside going one way, outside the other? I had a slide once that was tight on one end and out about an inch on the other. I adjusted the slide to be even on both ends and no longer had an issue with binding. Not quite the same thing but close. I am thinking if the issue returns it may be a good idea to check the positioning of the slide and see if one side contacts before the other over time if the sync does not hold. Not sure if I made this thought clear?

​​​​​​​Dave
                                flyfshrockies, 2021 imagine 2600RB, Ford F-150, XLT supper crew 3.5 eco boost with max tow. Dave and Toni (and the awesome Aussie Bayley, he's the social one)

Comment

Working...
                                X