Slideout Making Grinding/Grating Sound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slideout Making Grinding/Grating Sound

Our slides have worked well up until our last trip. When I retracted the dining slide, for the first 8 or 9 seconds, there was a grating/grinding sound that we've not heard before. It also makes the sound when extending the slide.

I took a video of the sound, but apparently I can't post it on here and I don't have Youtube. If you happen to be on the Grand Design RV Owners FB page you can see/listen to it there. (It only happens east of the Mississippi River - on my map , which is about the first foot or so where the slidebox meets the main RV body.)

DH lubricated the slide mechanisms (even though they were supposedly done when we had it at the dealer in early June), and ran the slide in and out a few times. He thought the sound was gone, but when we were packing up to leave our camping spot last weekend, it started doing it again.

The camper is level, the slidebox is level. We measured how far the slidebox extends from the camper:

Top Left 35-3/8" Top Right 35"
    Bottom Left 36-1/2" Bottom Right 36-1/8"

Do these measurements seem okay? Any other thoughts on what could be causing this?

Thanks,
    Andi
    Andi
    Brookings SD
    2018 Reflection 337RLS
    2019 GMC Sierra 3500HD Duramax

Andi
    Hi Andi,

I found your FB post (and that was a challenge for me ) . . . that sounds like “motor speed” noise. It is not a gear & pinion rack speed noise or a slide scraping noise. I can’t explain why the noise stops after the slide is part way in. The leverage that the slide weight has on the drive rack changes as the slide changes position. Maybe this has something to do with it? That drive motor is just inside the frame rail on the left side. (find the manual drive sticking through the frame rail). I would undo the coroplast in that area and watch / listen to the motor as the slide is cycled.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Andi View Post
      Our slides have worked well up until our last trip. When I retracted the dining slide, for the first 8 or 9 seconds, there was a grating/grinding sound that we've not heard before. It also makes the sound when extending the slide.

I took a video of the sound, but apparently I can't post it on here and I don't have Youtube. If you happen to be on the Grand Design RV Owners FB page you can see/listen to it there. (It only happens east of the Mississippi River - on my map , which is about the first foot or so where the slidebox meets the main RV body.)

DH lubricated the slide mechanisms (even though they were supposedly done when we had it at the dealer in early June), and ran the slide in and out a few times. He thought the sound was gone, but when we were packing up to leave our camping spot last weekend, it started doing it again.

The camper is level, the slidebox is level. We measured how far the slidebox extends from the camper:

Do these measurements seem okay? Any other thoughts on what could be causing this?

Thanks,
      Andi
      No Facebook here so I have not listened yet, but mine made a bit of a grinding noise in the middle, 100% repeatable in the same spot every time. I figured it might need some grease but that did not do it. I pulled down the coroplast and found where the motor is screwed to the frame the screws were loose. Tightened them up and it has been fine since.
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
      2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
      2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
        Andi
        Hi Andi,

I found your FB post (and that was a challenge for me ) . . . that sounds like “motor speed” noise. It is not a gear & pinion rack speed noise or a slide scraping noise. I can’t explain why the noise stops after the slide is part way in. The leverage that the slide weight has on the drive rack changes as the slide changes position. Maybe this has something to do with it? That drive motor is just inside the frame rail on the left side. (find the manual drive sticking through the frame rail). I would undo the coroplast in that area and watch / listen to the motor as the slide is cycled.

Rob
        Cate&Rob thanks for taking the time to search for the post on FB (good job!), and for your advice. Guess Rudy just added one more thing to his honey-do list!
        Is it damaging to operate the slide like this a couple of times until we track down the problem? Or should we be looking for a mobile tech?

Andi
        Andi
        Brookings SD
        2018 Reflection 337RLS

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post

No Facebook here so I have not listened yet, but mine made a bit of a grinding noise in the middle, 100% repeatable in the same spot every time. I figured it might need some grease but that did not do it. I pulled down the coroplast and found where the motor is screwed to the frame the screws were loose. Tightened them up and it has been fine since.
          Thanks Neil, ncitro. That sounds like a simple fix, will check it out.

Andi
          Andi
          Brookings SD
          2018 Reflection 337RLS

Comment

Cate&Rob thanks for taking the time to search for the post on FB (good job!), and for your advice. Guess Rudy just added one more thing to his honey-do list!
            Is it damaging to operate the slide like this a couple of times until we track down the problem? Or should we be looking for a mobile tech?

Andi
            Hi Andi,

It seems that Neil ncitro and I are thinking along the same lines . . . a loose motor mounting. It shouldn't be too difficult (even at a campsite) to remove a few coroplast fasteners and reach in there to determine if the motor is firmly attached. If a loose motor is not the problem, then it might be time for a mobile tech to figure out what is going on.

BTW . . . if you do open up that area, check the condition of the 120V Molex electrical connectors that are subject to the recall . . . the three for the kitchen slide are right in that same area. (There is one one on the other side for the outlets in the dinting table slide)

Rob
            Cate & Rob
            2015 Reflection 303RLS
            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Thanks Cate&Rob and ncitro . Rudy pulled the coroplast on the back of the RV the other day. He found that the motor that runs the kitchen slide (which wasn't the one making the noise) had one nut completely missing! The DR motor was a little loose, tightened that up. Ran it in and out several times, no noise. Once he replaced the coroplast, spare tire, and 2 extra sewer hose storage tubes that he added recently, it made the noise just for the first second when retracting. We're not too worried about the small sound, I'm starting to think it's a vibration from one of those tubes perhaps, since it didn't make the noise when they were not on there.

Appreciate the help, guys!

Andi
              Andi
              Brookings SD
              2018 Reflection 337RLS

Comment

Thanks Cate&Rob and ncitro . Rudy pulled the coroplast on the back of the RV the other day. He found that the motor that runs the kitchen slide (which wasn't the one making the noise) had one nut completely missing! The DR motor was a little loose, tightened that up. Ran it in and out several times, no noise. Once he replaced the coroplast, spare tire, and 2 extra sewer hose storage tubes that he added recently, it made the noise just for the first second when retracting. We're not too worried about the small sound, I'm starting to think it's a vibration from one of those tubes perhaps, since it didn't make the noise when they were not on there.

Appreciate the help, guys!

Andi
                No problem hope its gone for good!
                Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
                2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Thanks,
                  Andi
                  Hey Andi - please txt the video you took to me. Our fridge slide has been making some snapping/popping noises at about the 1/2 point when retracting and extending. It started quietly last year and this past weekend at Lake Vermillion and when we got home it seemed louder. I want to listen to/watch your video and compare to one I will take of ours later today to decide what I may need to do and consulting with the team here if needed.

Thanks, Andi - see you guys in about 10 days !

Dan
                  Dan & Carol
                  2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
                  2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

Rob Cate&Rob - regarding this thread and my preceding post to Andi, where about above the coroplast is the drive motor mounting bolts/screws area for the fridge slide on our 303s ? I suspect it is just in front of the front axle in line or so with the drive shaft but how far from the curb side inside frame rail ? How many mounting points for the drive motor/other mounting points ?

As long as we are talking, how about the same questions for the dining slide ?.....I may check that out too as long as I am dropping the coroplast.

Thanks, in advance, Rob !

Dan
                    Dan & Carol

Comment

Originally posted by Canyonlight View Post
                      Rob Cate&Rob - regarding this thread and my preceding post to Andi, where about above the coroplast is the drive motor mounting bolts/screws area for the fridge slide on our 303s ? I suspect it is just in front of the front axle in line or so with the drive shaft but how far from the curb side inside frame rail ? How many mounting points for the drive motor/other mounting points ?

As long as we are talking, how about the same questions for the dining slide ?.....I may check that out too as long as I am dropping the coroplast.

Dan
                      Below is a pic from my recent work under my 315RLTS (similar living area to your 303). The view is looking toward's the back of the trailer. Note the motor for the kitchen slide is close to the curb side of the camper and the motor for the dinette slide is in about 1/4 of the way in from the street side edge.

The attached LCI document shows all the components in an electric slide-out.

Hope that helps...Rob may have more specific info.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear View.JPG
Views:	1015
Size:	120.7 KB
ID:	26234

Attached Files

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Canyonlight -- a lot more info available here: https://support.lci1.com/through-fra...c-slide-system. There's even a video on how to replace a motor.

Note it doesn't matter if the slide is 2x2 or 2.5 x2.5...the components are all the same just a different size.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Howard howson - thanks, Howard......appreciate the information.

Dan
                          Dan & Carol

Comment

Hey Andi - please txt the video you took to me. Our fridge slide has been making some snapping/popping noises at about the 1/2 point when retracting and extending. It started quietly last year and this past weekend at Lake Vermillion and when we got home it seemed louder. I want to listen to/watch your video and compare to one I will take of ours later today to decide what I may need to do and consulting with the team here if needed.

Thanks, Andi - see you guys in about 10 days !

Dan
                            Andi Andi - thank you, for sharing your video. I will share a video of our noises as they are quite different with the banging/snapping/popping going on.

I will certainly share the findings and resolution once fixed either on this thread or a new one as may be appropriate.

Dan
                            Dan & Carol

Comment

Dan
                              Hi Dan,

This answer is going to seem a little bit "obvious" . . . the slide drive motors are lined up with the manual overrides through the frame rails opposite to the slide that they move . The motors are about 12" to 18" inside the frame rail. The attached picture is my dining sllde motor inside the left frame rail. (before I cleaned up the wiring mess that I found when I dropped th coroplast)

Rob
                              Attached Files
                              Cate & Rob
                              2015 Reflection 303RLS
                              Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Working...
                              X