Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post

Hi Dan,

This answer is going to seem a little bit "obvious" . . . the slide drive motors are lined up with the manual overrides through the frame rails opposite to the slide that they move . The motors are about 12" to 18" inside the frame rail. The attached picture is my dining sllde motor inside the left frame rail. (before I cleaned up the wiring mess that I found when I dropped th coroplast)

Rob
    Thanks, Rob ! That much I figured as I apparently did not state clearly enough in my post. My question was how far inward of the frame rail. I was thinking to just remove about a dozen or so screws holding up the coroplast in that area hoping to see and reach the drive motor casing area.

In fact I did do just that and was able to get at the two large 3/4" mounting nuts/bolts which were pretty tight.....one took less than a 1/4 turn and the other about an 1/8". Then I checked the 5/8 bolt and that was tight. I checked the two 5/16" motor housing bolts which were also tight. Lastly I checked the 4 phillips screws on the casing which were also snug. Pictures attached.

I did not see any other things to check.....are there other bolts/nuts/screws to check ?

I did look over the welds and other steel structure and all looked good. I did not see any missing teeth on the rack either.....at least the front rack portion of teeth under the coroplast..

I tested the slide and still have the sounds. Any thoughts Rob (or anyone else following the thread) or whom you could check with Rob.......or whom I should follow-up with ? I do have a video with sound which I can txt or email if you wish. I plan to take another laying under the RV videoing the motor and front rack area when Carol can run the slide for me later today or tomorrow. The sound should really be obvious then.

Dan
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Canyonlight; 08-04-2020, 04:17 PM. Reason: Wrong last picture...added correct one.
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

Originally posted by Canyonlight View Post
      Any thoughts Rob (or anyone else following the thread)
      Dan,
      If you can pull enough of the coroplast down to eyeball the gear pack assembly, listen to identify if the noise is coming from this assembly. If it is, the LCI graphic below shows where to spray dry PTFE lubricant.

What you'll be trying to do is lubricate the shaft interfaces, not the gear itself or any of the other components and especially not the gear face itself. As the arrows show, try to get the lubricant into the gaps and then run the room in and out a few times to try and work the lubricant in.

I'd try the lubricant without loosening the bolts first. If you do loosen them, I suggest measuring the length of the threads first so you can return the nut to the exact same location after applying the lubricant and before moving the slide.

I'll be following along--hope you find the culprit!

Howard

Click image for larger version

Name:	LCI Graphic.JPG
Views:	688
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	26293
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Howard howson - thank you, Howard. The noise I am hearing is different than others have shared like the traditional squeaking, grinding, squealing, etc. which leads to using lubrication. One never knows though so all options will be looked into and implemented. If nothing else, would be good to add a little lubrication to these areas after several years.

Dan
        Dan & Carol

Comment

Canyonlight
          Hi Dan,

I am just re-reading this thread and want to go back to your description of "snapping/popping noises at about the 1/2 point when retracting and extending". This would be when the slide balance shifts from outside to inside the main trailer wall. This is the point where our slides drop down and briefly touch the main floor which is why I use Slide Slicker strips for both slides. I am wondering if you are hearing a loose, binding or out of place seal . . . particularly the ones under the slide? This description seems to be a different kind of noise than described by Andi.

Rob
          Cate & Rob
          (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
          2015 Reflection 303RLS
          2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Canyonlight
            Hi Dan,

I am just re-reading this thread and want to go back to your description of "snapping/popping noises at about the 1/2 point when retracting and extending". This would be when the slide balance shifts from outside to inside the main trailer wall. This is the point where our slides drop down and briefly touch the main floor which is why I use Slide Slicker strips for both slides. I am wondering if you are hearing a loose, binding or out of place seal . . . particularly the ones under the slide? This description seems to be a different kind of noise than described by Andi.

Rob
            Rob - appreciate the reply. I will look at this later today and take a look. It really sounds like metal banging on metal. I can txt the video with sound that I took yesterday to your Canadian # if you want for me to do so.....just let me know. The sounds are pretty evident. I plan to take at least on other video under the coroplast looking at the drive motor area and maybe another under the slide at the rack and gear pack areas as the slide moves in.

It really appears to be coming from under the floor and you can feel it on your feet when retracting the slide. Extending the slide it is not noticeable much at all....if any at times.

Hmm ?

Dan
            Dan & Carol

Comment

Canyonlight
              Hi Dan,
              Text or email me the video(s) and I will have a listen.
              Rob
              Cate & Rob
              2015 Reflection 303RLS
              Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Canyonlight View Post

It really sounds like metal banging on metal.
                Hmm ?

Dan
                It does sound like metal on metal from under the floor. I think you are going to have to drop the coroplast (at least partially) to have a closer look and listen.

Rob

Cate & Rob
                2015 Reflection 303RLS
                Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

It does sound like metal on metal from under the floor. I think you are going to have to drop the coroplast (at least partially) to have a closer look and listen.

Rob
                  Thanks, Rob. As noted, I did drop the coroplast in the area of the drive motor to check the bolts/screws and share the findings and pictures in my previous post #16. At this stage I am thinking the drive motor housing may have issues. After watching and videoing that area and the area under the slide rack and gear pack assembly as Howard shared, I can possibly learn more when I do this. Hopefully it will be just lubrication as Howard shared.......sometimes "bad" noises are easy fixes and not what one thinks. Fingers and legs crossed !

Appreciate all your and Howard's help (along with Andi's and Mike's txts) !

Dan
                  Last edited by Canyonlight; 08-05-2020, 10:15 AM.
                  Dan & Carol

Comment

I did a fix on my the bent trunnion mount for RH slide motor-gearbox and the actuator tube close contact with frame web hole, and stop can - crossarm.interference.
                    While doing that I did notice there are plastic bushings/wear tabs on the rack at outer and inner.
                    They're on the top and sides of the rack channel.
                    Might take a look at them. Also for any crowning of the outer rack tube.

Attached Files
                    Gene and Kim
                    2015 Grand Design Reflection 317RST
                    2017 RAM 3500 CC, LB, 4x2, 6.7L CTD

Comment

Originally posted by gbkims View Post
                      I did a fix on my the bent trunnion mount for RH slide motor-gearbox and the actuator tube close contact with frame web hole, and stop can - crossarm.interference.
                      While doing that I did notice there are plastic bushings/wear tabs on the rack at outer and inner.
                      I don't quite understand the wear tabs--are they meant to be replaced after x number of slide cycles? Is there an inspection criteria?

I also don't quite understand the "tipping" and how mechanically that is accomplished given the construction of the actuator and slide components.

Questions aren't specifically addressed to you, Gene, just my random thoughts.

If no one here knows the answers I'm email LCI with the questions. I'll post the response.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Wear Tabs.JPG
Views:	1309
Size:	221.0 KB
ID:	26338
                      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by gbkims View Post
                        Gene - thank you, much for sharing your post and pictures. While I did a quick "look see" at these areas I need to go back and do a more thorough check. Good stuff......thanks for posting !

Dan
                        Dan & Carol

Comment

All - Cate&Rob howson gbkims - as I shared with Andi Andi & Mike Rudy this past week when we camped together, the slide issues have been resolved......we hope.

After sharing my post on checking/addressing items under the coroplast, I checked the wear tabs/tubes alignment/etc. as mentioned by Gene and all was gtg here. I did loosen the two carriage bolts on each tube and moved them slightly as they seemed to be rubbing hard on the front most wear tabs. All tabs were in good condition. Tubes were straight and no bending/bowing noticed.

Next was to clean and lube the gear packs with CRC Power Lube with PTFE as Howard shared. Did this a couple times and each time after cycling the slide in and out the noises were less and less. This past week when leaving the campground there was NO noise at all ! I also did the same to our dining slide even though it was quiet and performing well.....preventative maintenance if you will.

Lastly (again after cleaning) I wiped the actuator tubes down lightly with CRC lube. This is good stuff as many have shared over the years.....I can see why GDRV techs and others recommend this.

The gear racks were clean as they have never been lubed or greased as recommended by GDRV/LCI not to do so. One can see if this is done how they can collect dirt/dust/sand/.etc. when extended and exposed to blowing conditions I do wash them occasional when cleaning the RV.

Thanks, all.....really appreciate the posts !

Dan
                          Last edited by Canyonlight; 08-24-2020, 03:34 PM.
                          Dan & Carol

Comment

Working...
                          X