Schwintek In Wall Slide Motor Replacement Momentum 376

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by howson View Post

I was thinking just the opposite--could the motor be completely eliminated? There'd need to be a way to lock the slide in place when out (and in) but without the motor's braking action how hard could it be to push it manually? No more problems with motors...

Not a serious proposal, just thinking out loud...
    This system is quite clever but access to the motor and how the wires lack protection are key faults in this system. The slide is hard to push even after releasing the electric brake since we are pushing against the 300:1 gearbox in reverse. So as we push on the slide, each rotation of the slide gear must now rotate the motor 300 revolutions. If Lippert would have designed a waterproof motor and mounted it at the bottom of the shaft rather than at the top, It would have been possible to remove the motor in any position of the slide.

I keep a spare motor, harness and two adjustable slide locks in my rig. The slide locks work perfectly as a backup on the two siding doors while traveling.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by d2reid View Post

That's my feeling tonight, Washington to Texas via Colorado, what could go wrong... slide motor for one, then found a separation bulge on a tire today, that'll cost me a day or two, and just because when it rains it pours the 6 point hydraulic system is doing strange things today, I'll start another thread on that one, plus I got a lot of research to do...

Hmmmm, I wonder if the 500:1 ratio motors would be more robust than the 300:1 ratio motors. Slower for sure, but maybe stronger?
      Dallas,

The 500:1 unit would have higher torque on the rack. The motor would be rotating 200 additional revolutions for each revolution of the rack gear so it may be a bit slower. Both motors would need to be replaced. In my case the gearbox failed since the motor would attempt to run then the controller would open the circuit when high current was detected. In my previous failure, it was a break in the wire like yours. If we were seeing high failures on the motor alone, the 500:1 units could help.
      To your point, I had one motor dragging and sure enough it failed. Now that I have two good motors and lithium power, the slide moves in almost effortlessly where it no longer has the sound of a struggle.

Ill use my BMV712 to occasionally monitor battery current when operating the slide to monitor the state of health of the slide.

Jim

Comment

If you change 1 motor to a 500:1 do you need to change all 4 on the slide or will they compensate?

Comment

Originally posted by Skidaddy20 View Post
          If you change 1 motor to a 500:1 do you need to change all 4 on the slide or will they compensate?
          There are two motors per slide and they would both have to be the same ratio.

Rob
          Cate & Rob
          (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
          2015 Reflection 303RLS
          2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Skidaddy20 View Post
            Out of curiosity--why would you want to do that? None of the Schwintek systems installed by GD use a 500:1 ratio. I suggest consulting with Lippert Customer Service (slide OEM) before proceeding down that path. See https://support.lci1.com/ (bottom of that page) for contact info.

Howard
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Working...
            X