Schwintek motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Schwintek motor

I’ve got some questions.. I’ve got a 2014 Solitude. Bedroom slide, when a schwintec motor goes bad, does it just stop, or slow down? Mine seems to be slowing down, and pops fairly loud when starting and stopping.
    Has anyone personally changed out a motor? Does it come out inside the trailer or outside? And should both motors be changed at the same time? I have watched some utube videos.
    Last edited by howson; 10-04-2020, 03:51 PM.

Originally posted by Gsport View Post
    I’ve got some questions.. I’ve got a 2014 Solitude. Bedroom slide, when a schwintec motor goes bad, does it just stop, or slow down? Mine seems to be slowing down, and pops fairly loud when starting and stopping.
    Has anyone personally changed out a motor? Does it come out inside the trailer or outside? And should both motors be changed at the same time? I have watched some utube videos.
    Do a search for Schwintek (note correct spelling) and there are a number of threads. Here's a couple:

https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...or-replacement

https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...t-momentum-376

https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...lide-straining

https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...-motor-upgrade

Howard

P.S. I'm going to fix the title in the first post, OK?
    Last edited by howson; 10-05-2020, 10:49 AM.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

I would change both at the same time. If one is bad the other may not be far behind.

Brian
      Brian & Michelle
      2018 Reflection 29RS
      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

I disagree slightly with CountryCampers, I replaced mine one motor at a time. Two of my motors went bad because a wire broke (different slides). Motors are probably still good, but I don't know how to solder. If that's the case you need only replace one motor.

The popping sound is a concern, is the slide seal popping when it changes direction and folds the other way, or is there some debris or something loose trapped in the motor housing or gear tracks?

Your first sign of trouble will be one side dragging behind slightly. The little computer synchronizes the two motors, if they get out of sync then it will stop. It will restart again. I thought my finger was slipping off the icon causing it to stop, nope.

After it quits you can generally get it to slide a couple of more times by putting it into manual mode. LCI has a good video on that once you find the slide controller. The slide controller will also give you flashing lights to indicate the issue, the light codes are printed on the face of the slide controller.

The motor comes out from inside the coach, however, there is a set screw that holds the motor down, it is accessed from the outside. You have to peel the bulb seal back, it's about 6" down from the top. Ideally your slide is about half way out to begin working on it.

Another important tip, research and have available sealant material to reseal the bulb and flat seals you have to take loose to get to it.

When you get the old motor out, take a minute to align the shaft of the new motor to the same position as the old motor, That way when you insert the new motor you don't have to move the slide to get it to line up.

It is possible to move the slide with a bad motor, it takes a good bit of strength. Have a partner operate the slide control, move it just a tad, then push the other side to match, repeat. The problem is that the motor has a 300 to 1 ratio, it has to go around 300 times for the slide to move a tad. It's a very slow process.

2017 Momentum 376, 2019 Ford F450
        2022 Triumph Scrambler Motorcycle
        E-bikes, Hobi Pedal Kayaks
        Kota the dog and KC the Kitty Cat

Comment

Just replace the bad motor. Failure seems to be random rather than the motors are only good for X number of uses. In addition to broken wires I’ve also seen debris jam the motor.

The real kicker is when the motor fails with the slide fully retracted. The retaining screw is typically on the exterior and accessible with the slide extended a minimum of a few inches. In spite of what the service manual says Schwintek slides cannot be manually pushed open after disconnecting the wiring harnesses from the controller. Tried and tried, finally called Lippert tech support who confirmed my experience, can’t be done. My next question to Lippert was how to remove the retaining screw? From the inside pry up on the motor until the retaining screw breaks. Got lucky a couple of times - there was no retaining screw.
          Colan Arnold
          2016 Momentum 397TH
          Full time since 2016

Comment

Originally posted by colan View Post
            My next question to Lippert was how to remove the retaining screw? From the inside pry up on the motor until the retaining screw breaks.

(and this is at least 10 characters so this will post)
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by colan View Post
              Just replace the bad motor. Failure seems to be random rather than the motors are only good for X number of uses. In addition to broken wires I’ve also seen debris jam the motor.

The real kicker is when the motor fails with the slide fully retracted. The retaining screw is typically on the exterior and accessible with the slide extended a minimum of a few inches. In spite of what the service manual says Schwintek slides cannot be manually pushed open after disconnecting the wiring harnesses from the controller. Tried and tried, finally called Lippert tech support who confirmed my experience, can’t be done. My next question to Lippert was how to remove the retaining screw? From the inside pry up on the motor until the retaining screw breaks. Got lucky a couple of times - there was no retaining screw.
              Colan,

The slide can be pushed (rather bumped) with the motor harness disconnected. It may take a couple folks to bump the slide in unison on the bad side while another person overrides the system to operate the good side. At the time before losing weight I shoved my 225lbs onto the bad side then would alternately override and operate the good side for a few inches. This alternating method allowed me to gain access.

This system IMO is a good design OTHER than the motor access and lack of protection of the wire harness at the motor. Had the design incorporated a bottom mounted water tight motor, this would have been a near perfect system. Certainly agree if a motor is slowing down with the sound of a struggle it would be best to replace it. I keep a spare motor and harness in my rig as well as slide locks that I use to block the two doors in the rig during travel.

Jim

Comment

Working...
              X