Schwintek slide seam maintenance and exposed screws

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by howson View Post

I had a screw today on the Schwintek where the head literally fell off when I just touched it. I'll be figuring that out like StephenO. See what you've done here, Yoda ? (kidding)
    Let me know how you make out howson , as I'm sure you'll be able to get to yours before I can get to mine in the spring. That way I can blame you when I do it wrong (kidding of course). When I talked to Grand Design about this, their suggestion was to drill out the 1" #6 screw and replace with a #8 screw of the same length. They also told me their screws are zinc plated and suggested I use stainless steel.
    2019 Imagine 2400BH
    2019 F150 XLT Super Crew, EcoBoost, 6.5' box, Max tow package with 3.55 ratio

Comment

Originally posted by StephenO View Post

Let me know how you make out howson , as I'm sure you'll be able to get to yours before I can get to mine in the spring. That way I can blame you when I do it wrong (kidding of course). When I talked to Grand Design about this, their suggestion was to drill out the 1" #6 screw and replace with a #8 screw of the same length. They also told me their screws are zinc plated and suggested I use stainless steel.
      I am tinkling your best bet is oversize the hole in the trim, then use the hollow bit and partially drill so you can get at the shank of the existing screw. Vice grip makes a needle nose pliers that is perfect for this. There is no way to drill the screw out and stay on target. You will then need to plug the hole - many options there.
      2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post
        ... then use the hollow bit and partially drill so you can get at the shank of the existing screw. Vice grip makes a needle nose pliers that is perfect for this. There is no way to drill the screw out and stay on target. You will then need to plug the hole - many options there.
        I seem to remember a conversation about a "hollow drill bit". Using the Advanced Search feature I found the thread where you talked about the tool and Guest linked a YouTube video. Now the only question is, "What size bit"?

Here's the thread: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/interio...check-your-own

Here's the video:
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

I seem to remember a conversation about a "hollow drill bit". Using the Advanced Search feature I found the thread where you talked about the tool and Guest linked a YouTube video. Now the only question is, "What size bit"?

Here's the thread: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/interio...check-your-own

Here's the video:
          As for hollow bit size it just needs to clear the OD on the screw shank. I wold guess 1/4 inch or 3/16. Per the chart I would go 3/16, but I could only find 1/4 https://www.woodcraft.com/products/s...SABEgLSgvD_BwE

US Machine Screw Diameters
          #6 0.138" 9/64"
          #8 0.164" 5/32"
          #10 0.190" 3/16"
          Hope this helps
          Keith
          2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Hope this helps
            It does--thanks, Keith! I'll have some time on my hands next week while hanging out in middle Georgia, so may just spend some time tinkering with this project.

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

You know with a dremmel tool and some properly sized steel or copper tubing and you could make your own. It just needs to be abrasive enough to cut through fiberglass and foam.
              Could be wrong, but it could be interesting to try

Comment

You know with a dremmel tool and some properly sized steel or copper tubing and you could make your own. It just needs to be abrasive enough to cut through fiberglass and foam.
                Could be wrong, but it could be interesting to try
                One other approach to consider I guess would be to abandon a broken screw, by sealing over it and installing a new screw or two near the broken one. However, that approach would only be ideal if you had a handful of screws. Don't want to duplicate every screw, might look a little funny
                2019 Imagine 2400BH
                2019 F150 XLT Super Crew, EcoBoost, 6.5' box, Max tow package with 3.55 ratio

Comment

Working...
                X