Schwintek slide seam maintenance and exposed screws

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Schwintek slide seam maintenance and exposed screws

I have been doing a we bit of maintenance going over the trailer before the white stuff gets here. I had the slide out so got on the ladder to check things out, I noticed one end of the upper D seal (one above the wiper sea) had pulled away from the trailer (last 3 inches). Part of it was out of it backing channel and the last inch the silicone failed. Also found the end screw backed out about 1/2 inch. Well I got it back in the C channel and resealed the end, then noticed while the retaining C channel was sealed to the trailer, the back of the D seal was not sealed to the channel, but just clipped in place over the back t channel. Now with the slide closed this seam is under pressure, but when open, water could possible get in. Should the seam where the D seal clips on the T channel secured to the trailer be sealed. I am not talking about the T bracket, but the edge of the rubber D seal in the T bracket?

Now what may seam like a strange question. All along both edges of the slide are screws that hold the trim piece to the wall. These screws are not covered in any way and exposed all the time, even when traveling. However everywhere else GD used screws into the trailer side, they covered them. Why not here?

Tomorrow I will check for tightness. I might even back them out and put silicone in the hole and reinstall. Should I do that or will it mess something up. I don't want any de-lamination. I do have some oversized screws available that Megan sent me.

Now I did run across this seal https://www.recpro.com/rv-slide-out-...with-adhesive/ I can attach it to the back of the outer slide fascia lip and it will cover the screws when the slide is closed and offer a second barrier of water intrusion when traveling. Thoughts?

EDIT - Found a similar seal https://www.amazon.com/AP-Products-0...5&s=hi&sr=1-12

Any opinions are welcome
    Thanks
    Keith

Ill try and get a few pictures tomorrow.
    Last edited by Yoda; 10-14-2020, 07:25 PM.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Originally posted by Yoda View Post
    ... Should the seam where the D seal clips on the T channel secured to the trailer be sealed. I am not talking about the T bracket, but the edge of the rubber D seal in the T bracket?
    Hey Keith - Just checking if I am reading your question right...Assuming by T bracket, you mean the part that holds the bulb seal right? Essentially the part shown here (from the GD parts look page)
    Click image for larger version

Name:	image_4987.jpg
Views:	688
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	32163
    If that is the part, and if I am reading your question correctly (and those are two big IFs ) I would say my answer would be no. To me, any water that gets behind the bulb seal will sit on the 'outside' of that part and eventually make its way either down that lip holding the bulb seal, or down the wiper part. Hopefully that helps, but again those are really two big IFs.

-Stephen
    2019 Imagine 2400BH
    2019 F150 XLT Super Crew, EcoBoost, 6.5' box, Max tow package with 3.55 ratio

Comment

Originally posted by StephenO View Post

Hey Keith - Just checking if I am reading your question right...Assuming by T bracket, you mean the part that holds the bulb seal right? Essentially the part shown here (from the GD parts look page)
      Click image for larger version

Name:	image_4987.jpg
Views:	688
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	32163
      If that is the part, and if I am reading your question correctly (and those are two big IFs ) I would say my answer would be no. To me, any water that gets behind the bulb seal will sit on the 'outside' of that part and eventually make its way either down that lip holding the bulb seal, or down the wiper part. Hopefully that helps, but again those are really two big IFs.

-Stephen
      Yep - that is it. The D seal or should I say seals clip on either side of that. is the assembly in the photo upside down.?The long flaps appear to be the wiper seals - are they?

Thanks for the help
      Any thoughts on the trim screws and my D seal idea?

Keith
      2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Yep - that is it. The D seal or should I say seals clip on either side of that. is the assembly in the photo upside down.?The long flaps appear to be the wiper seals - are they?

Thanks for the help

Keith
        Yeah, it's upside down; although that's assuming I found the right part on the lookup page However, I didn't see any other parts on the lookup page that would even be close to that, so it's probably that assembly. In terms of the trim screws, I share the same fear you expressed with taking the screws out to put sealant on them and possibly messing something up. My only thought about putting a new D seal over them is you wouldn't want anything to interfere with the 'primary' bulb seal. IE, if the new seal you put on is thicker and stops the slide from engaging the existing seal, that might be an issue. Sorry, not much help in that department, but between your two options I would lean towards putting a sealant on the screws. Maybe you can put sealant around the base of the screw heads, and just leave the drive portion of the head exposed?
        2019 Imagine 2400BH

Comment

Thanks for the help

Keith
          Keith - one other thing to consider, what about the screws that attach the rails to the slide walls? I've always wondered why they left those exposed to the elements when the slide is open....
          2019 Imagine 2400BH

Comment

Keith - one other thing to consider, what about the screws that attach the rails to the slide walls? I've always wondered why they left those exposed to the elements when the slide is open....
            Could there be butyl tape/sealant behind those trim pieces and rails. I will look closer tomorrow.

Comment

Well I checked screws and boy did I find a bunch of loose striped ones. The screws holding the front outer trim on that are screwed in the side of the slide (inside outer face) - all but 4 were loose and of those 1/2 striped. There is butyl sealer behind the trim. I used the tooth pick and gorilla glue to fix. Did one screw at a time. I also put silicone behind the head before fully tightening.

Vertical screws on the trailer wall were pretty good (they run beside the D seal) - maybe a pinch of a turn. Everything else was good. So far the D seals seem OK as they have some compression left, but I will probably need to replace them all in a few years. Wiper seals are good. I am finding several brands of the D seal that clips on the channel. Is anyone brand better than the others?

Most of the seams were sealed well - did a bit of re- calking in a few spots.

I will be adding the second D seal along the back face of the front vertical trim edges to fill the 1/2" to 3/4" gap to the trailer. The factory seal is tight when compressed. I figure the second seal is just insurance to keep water away from the inner seal and from the screw heads - especially when driving in the rain.

More later

Keith

Comment

Well I checked screws and boy did I find a bunch of loose striped ones. The screws holding the front outer trim on that are screwed in the side of the slide (inside outer face) - all but 4 were loose and of those 1/2 striped. There is butyl sealer behind the trim. I used the tooth pick and gorilla glue to fix. Did one screw at a time. I also put silicone behind the head before fully tightening.

Vertical screws on the trailer wall were pretty good (they run beside the D seal) - maybe a pinch of a turn. Everything else was good. So far the D seals seem OK as they have some compression left, but I will probably need to replace them all in a few years. Wiper seals are good. I am finding several brands of the D seal that clips on the channel. Is anyone brand better than the others?

I will be adding the second D seal along the back face of the front vertical trim edges to fill the 1/2" to 3/4" gap to the trailer. The factory seal is tight when compressed. I figure the second seal is just insurance to keep water away from the inner seal and from the screw heads - especially when driving in the rain.

More later

Keith
                You've got me looking at mine, too, Keith as I've been working around the trailer. I've found quite a few loose on trim and in other areas. I'll need to systematically go over the whole trailer. Fun times, eh?
                Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

You've got me looking at mine, too, Keith as I've been working around the trailer. I've found quite a few loose on trim and in other areas. I'll need to systematically go over the whole trailer. Fun times, eh?
                  I think the term "you have a screw loose* is taking on a new meaning

Comment

More later

Keith
                    I need to stop reading this forum, you guys keep adding things to my to-do list . Well, my to-do list for spring that is, we just got 5cm of winter last night

I actually have one trim screw that has a sheared off head, so I'll need to try and get that out anyways and replace it. While I do that, I will check the rest. Any tips for getting a screw with a broken head out? Anyone have luck with a fluted screw extractor? I've seen them, but never used one. Or is it better to just try and drill it out?

Stephen
                    2019 Imagine 2400BH

Comment

I need to stop reading this forum, you guys keep adding things to my to-do list . Well, my to-do list for spring that is, we just got 5cm of winter last night

I actually have one trim screw that has a sheared off head, so I'll need to try and get that out anyways and replace it. While I do that, I will check the rest. Any tips for getting a screw with a broken head out? Anyone have luck with a fluted screw extractor? I've seen them, but never used one. Or is it better to just try and drill it out?

Stephen
                      I've had limited success with screw removers on wood screws, haven't tried them on thin metal. If I could reach the back of the screw I would probably try turning that first.
                      John
                      2018 Momentum 395M
                      2018 Ram 3500 Dually
                      Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

@StephenO
                        Can you get to any of the shank? I have used my dremmil chuck in the past to grab the shank and manually turn it out. I have also had luck with needle nose pliers. Or you could try this method https://www.rockler.com/screw-extrac...SABEgLrNvD_BwE

Comment

@StephenO
                          Can you get to any of the shank? I have used my dremmil chuck in the past to grab the shank and manually turn it out. I have also had luck with needle nose pliers. Or you could try this method https://www.rockler.com/screw-extrac...SABEgLrNvD_BwE
                          Not really, you can hopefully see in the photo that it's fairly flush...
                          2019 Imagine 2400BH

Comment

I think the term "you have a screw loose* is taking on a new meaning
                            Keith . . . . . this is (almost) timely advice. I have just finished putting our Reflection to bed for the winter (the first time in the 6 years that we have owned this RV that we are not going to Florida for the winter . . . COVID concerns) and now, I am thinking that I better open up those slides and take a careful look per your advice.

I winterized the plumbing, took the batteries out of all the remotes, took the weight off the tires with my "store on jack stands" process, touched up the roof caulking . . . didn't think of checking for loose screws .

Rob
                            Cate & Rob
                            (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                            2015 Reflection 303RLS
                            2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post

Keith . . . . . this is (almost) timely advice. I have just finished putting our Reflection to bed for the winter (the first time in the 6 years that we have owned this RV that we are not going to Florida for the winter . . . COVID concerns) and now, I am thinking that I better open up those slides and take a careful look per your advice.

I winterized the plumbing, took the batteries out of all the remotes, took the weight off the tires with my "store on jack stands" process, touched up the roof caulking . . . didn't think of checking for loose screws .

Rob
                              I had a screw today on the Schwintek where the head literally fell off when I just touched it. I'll be figuring that out like StephenO. See what you've done here, Yoda ? (kidding)
                              Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Working...
                              X