Slide lubrication

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slide lubrication

My rig has the Lippert slide mechanism that runs under the floor. I am trying to decide whether I should be lubricating the track with the teeth that mesh with the drive gear. On the Lippert site they say it requires no lubrication, but my dealer suggested CRC Power Lube. After doing some searches, it seems some people use silicone or a teflon based lubricant.

Does anyone have some insight on this? What does GD recommend?

Bob
    Last edited by bogen2; 08-26-2019, 12:15 PM.
    2014 Ford F-150 Ecoboost / Max Tow / HD Payload
    2018 Reflection 295RL

You would want to use a dry lubes that will not attract dirt or debris. I have had troubles with this myself wanting to "grease" the gear rack because that is what it "should" have but grease would hold all the dirt and lead to problems so I just use the dry lube.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Dry lube sounds like a reasonable choice. Would love to hear what GD’s recommendation is.

Bob
      2014 Ford F-150 Ecoboost / Max Tow / HD Payload
      2018 Reflection 295RL

Comment

Originally posted by bogen2 View Post
        Dry lube sounds like a reasonable choice. Would love to hear what GD’s recommendation is.

Bob
        Bob,
        I don't speak for GD as I'm just an owner, too. I'm 99% sure, though, that GD's response will mirror what is in the Lippert Master Owner's manual. What Lippert states, on page 343, is the following: The Lippert Slide-out System has been static tested to over 4,000 continuous cycles without any noticeable wear to rotating or sliding parts. It is recommended that when operating in harsh environments (road salt, ice build up, etc.) the moving parts be kept clean. They can be washed with mild soap and water. No grease or lubrication is necessary and in some situations may be detrimental to the environment and long term dependability of the system.

What Brian (another owner like myself) has suggested and what I do as well is use the CRC lubrication (same lube used on the Schwintek slide) to "clean" the rails and mechanisms. I do not allow any excess to remain after I wipe down all the surfaces.

-Howard
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

At the Tennessee Rally, JD (he is Grand Design) recommended CRC Power Lube.
          Kay & Dave - Virginia Beach, VA
          Golden Retriever Molly - Been swimming in 28 states
          2019 Solitude 310GK
          2019 GMC Denali CC/LB SRW
          Previous rig: 2014 Reflection 303RLS #314 and 2008 Silverado 2500 D/A

Comment

On a previous trailer with the lippert slides I did not lube for 15 years. Never failed, no noticeable wear. Manufacturer's recommendation says don't do it. If you REALLY want to lube it, definitely a dry lube like fluid film or the previously mentioned CRC. Dry lubes won't hurt it.....But you are not really accomplishing anything.
            2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
            Not to brag or anything about my finances, but my bank calls me about every day to tell me my balance is OUTSTANDING!

Comment

My go to dry lubricant when it will not show is Dry Graphite. PBBlaster and a few others make it.

For my slider hitch in the truck I bought the gallon from tractor supply. This is the spray version of it: https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...l?cm_vc=-10005 drys to a hard coating. Vs Grease It works well.
              Joseph
              Tow
              Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
              Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
              South of Houston Texas

Comment

I attended the Michigan Owners Rally and at a seminar on slides GD was adamant that you do NOT lube the Schwintech slides. The only exception to this is in motor homes that you might hear a squeak coming from the slide out while traveling down the road. In this case they suggested just lubing the gibs with the aforementioned CRC lube.
                Burt & Pat. '21 Imagine XLS 22MLE, '20 F150 3.5 EB Blue Ox SwayPro WDH

Comment

Originally posted by trubkrob View Post
                  I attended the Michigan Owners Rally and at a seminar on slides GD was adamant that you do NOT lube the Schwintech slides. The only exception to this is in motor homes that you might hear a squeak coming from the slide out while traveling down the road. In this case they suggested just lubing the gibs with the aforementioned CRC lube.
                  I would agree with them if they used a silicone bronze or composite bushing in the bearing block but they do not. They use a steel bushing in an aluminum bearing block. When I lubricate this bushing, you can hear the slide moving much more freely while in operation. CRC w PTFE is the lube to use.

Jim

Comment

On through the frame slide mechanisms, the rack and pinion does not power the slide in and out. They only serve to keep the two sides of the slide in sync, in other words moving in unison. They are not to be lubricated.
                    2022 3100RD
                    2019 F-150 V6 Twin Turbo 10 speed
                    Over 55 years TT towing

Comment

Working...
                    X