Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Schwintek slide rail leaks to slide underside.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Schwintek slide rail leaks to slide underside.

I know others have had issues with the schwintek rails that channel water to underside of slide out on GD forums on Facebook. I can’t find anything here but hoping for some guidance. I notice in heavy rain that the bottom of my slide at edges gets soaking wet. Here are 2 photos showing how bad it was before I sealed it with pro flex, removed screws filled with pro flex and reinstalled. But it is still happening. We have had torrential rains here all week in south Florida and still, one side is getting the same wetness on one of the areas. I don’t know what else to do, floor is solid thankfully and want to keep it that way. This is not a good design and the material GD used for slide out floor should be waterproof. Looks like Masonite board.
    Vivian
    2018 Reflection 303rls
    Ford F-350 diesel long bed 4 x 4 SRW
    Demco Recon

I was looking on other forums for some ideas on how to mitigate this water runoff and found the Lippert installation manual. They note that there should be foam pieces installed for preventing water intrusion on either side of rail. Do you all have these? I don’t see any of this foam at either end of mine. Also sending to GD customer service for some input. It has finally stopped raining here in south Florida and will have an opportunity to work on this some more.
    Vivian
    2018 Reflection 303rls
    Demco Recon

Comment

Vivian,
      Hello. I just seen your post. My 303 is up for the winter, but when I get home tomorrow I will look at mine. I don’t recall seeing these “foam plugs” after I learned of water running the rail’s to the SchwinnTec System on the other sand box.
      I put a dab of silicone at each end of the rails where the foam goes. We were in a good rain storm this summer, and I didn’t notice anything like your pictures above.

Anyways, I will check it out tomorrow and let you know what I see on the foam plugs.
      Steve
      2018 Reflection 303
      2023 F350 Lariat, 4 x 4 CCSB.
      Diesel, Star White.

Comment

Originally posted by Superduty View Post
        Vivian,
        Hello. I just seen your post. My 303 is up for the winter, but when I get home tomorrow I will look at mine. I don’t recall seeing these “foam plugs” after I learned of water running the rail’s to the SchwinnTec System on the other sand box.
        I put a dab of silicone at each end of the rails where the foam goes. We were in a good rain storm this summer, and I didn’t notice anything like your pictures above.

Anyways, I will check it out tomorrow and let you know what I see on the foam plugs.
        Thanks Steve, mine also have silicone at ends.. But take a pic of your rails and let me see how the ends look.
        Vivian
        2018 Reflection 303rls
        Demco Recon

Comment

Here is the picture I saw on another post they used a foam ear plug to divert water....
          Vivian
          2018 Reflection 303rls
          Demco Recon

Comment

Originally posted by Beachcamper View Post
            Here is the picture I saw on another post they used a foam ear plug to divert water....
            Vivian,
            Now that the hurricane is gone I got to take a few pics. I hope this is what you're referencing.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	Stop2.JPG
Views:	1997
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	33182

Click image for larger version

Name:	Stop1.JPG
Views:	1890
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	33181

Howard
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Vivian

Not to say that the rails are not the issue but there are lots of parts bolted on to the slide that if the sealant is bad could allow water to enter and seep down to the bottom. Windows and corner trim and all others should be checked. I found a small bit of sealant on the lower side of a window in our slide that has a small crack that can barely be seen.

Brian
              Brian & Michelle
              2018 Reflection 29RS
              2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Vivian,
                No foam plugs on mine that I can see. Even what Howards pictures shows, mine does not have these.
                With mine 5er up for the winter I got inside rail pictures, upper and lower rails. See pics. I will plug her in and if the slide works with out the battery, If so, I will get the outer pictures of the rails.
                Notice my rails have a gap at the end to the base board, and the gap is opened. If I remember correctly, the outer side is the same gap. Your gap is filled with silcone.

I wonder, is water getting in around the outside black flange, and running down under the trim and leaking, out causing the water stain? (Your first post pictures). Can you see any water inside the black trim pieces?

Steve
                Attached Files
                Steve
                2018 Reflection 303
                Diesel, Star White.

Comment

Thank you all for getting these pictures for me to compare.Wow, I guess there is no consistent spec for installing these rails. I do not have the foam pieces, I have a glob of silicone and now notice the silicone plugs the weep hole which may be one of the issues. Steve, your rail doesn’t even go all the way to outer fascia trim.

Here are better pictures of mine both sides to fascia. I am going to remove that silicone around the weep hole and see if it will drain instead of redirect water.
                  Vivian
                  2018 Reflection 303rls
                  Demco Recon

Comment

Originally posted by Beachcamper View Post
                    Thank you all for getting these pictures for me to compare.Wow, I guess there is no consistent spec for installing these rails. I do not have the foam pieces, I have a glob of silicone and now notice the silicone plugs the weep hole which may be one of the issues. Steve, your rail doesn’t even go all the way to outer fascia trim.

Here are better pictures of mine both sides to fascia. I am going to remove that silicone around the weep hole and see if it will drain instead of redirect water.
                    Vivian
                    I have no idea why my rail’s do not meet the fascia trim. And I don’t see any “weep” holes in my rails. (Going back in the cold trailer to see if I have any weep holes. You might be on to something there.)

You might have to “spray” the side of the slide and see if you can see where the water is running from. A light spray from a water hose should work. I would try that before removing any silicone.

Update: Just went out to look at the rails. No weep holes, any rails, either end.
                    On the rails to the inside fascia, no foam.
                    Last edited by Superduty; 10-29-2020, 04:56 PM.
                    Steve
                    2018 Reflection 303
                    Diesel, Star White.

Comment

Vivian,
                      was there a lot of wind blowing during the rain? If so, I wonder if the wind was pushing the water far enough to get on the board under the slide. Just a thought.
                      Steve
                      2018 Reflection 303
                      Diesel, Star White.

Comment

It was not blowing horribly but sustained rain for an entire week. I did spray the rails and water flows down into and out to bottom. I will remove silicone at fascia ends, clean weep holes and try another experiment next week. After seeing all these pictures, I suspect water is getting into the rail and just has no where to go but to seep into floor underside. And what is that material, Masonite? Been looking at other rigs here at the campground and they have finished bottom panels with some kind of protective (looks like vinyl or plastic) laminate.
                        Vivian
                        2018 Reflection 303rls
                        Demco Recon

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
                          Vivian

Not to say that the rails are not the issue but there are lots of parts bolted on to the slide that if the sealant is bad could allow water to enter and seep down to the bottom. Windows and corner trim and all others should be checked. I found a small bit of sealant on the lower side of a window in our slide that has a small crack that can barely be seen.

Brian
                          Brian, there are no windows on my 303 slide sidewalls. Thanks I checked corner trim, all seems ok.
                          Vivian
                          2018 Reflection 303rls
                          Demco Recon

Comment

Vivian,
                            I would also look at the rails and make sure they are sealed well.

I also wonder, as I do not know what the board is under the slide either, if some “Thompson Water Seal” would help out the board just to be safe in case it does get wet for some reason.

Cate&Rob, Rob any idea what type of board is under our 5er bedroom slide ?
                            Steve
                            2018 Reflection 303
                            Diesel, Star White.

Comment

Originally posted by Superduty View Post
                              Vivian,
                              I would also look at the rails and make sure they are sealed well.

I also wonder, as I do not know what the board is under the slide either, if some “Thompson Water Seal” would help out the board just to be safe in case it does get wet for some reason.

Cate&Rob, Rob any idea what type of board is under our 5er bedroom slide ?
                              Hi Steve,

The underside of the slide(s) is covered with a membrane. I have some wear on my larger slides revealing OSB. No wear through on the bedroom closet slide, but I would expect it to be OSB too.

Rob
                              Cate & Rob
                              (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                              2015 Reflection 303RLS
                              2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                              Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Working...
                              X