Main slide - jumped teeth - 397 Momentum -

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Main slide - jumped teeth - 397 Momentum -

During our last trip, we were getting ready to head East on our next leg home and the main slide (rear section) failed to retract all the way - leaving it 8 or so inches out.
    I was able to deploy the slide all the way out and by pushing on that end (and pushing the retract button), get it to retract "almost" all the way. We had to do this at every morning until we got home. We did stop at a dealer after the first time but they said it would take a week or more for parts. The dealer did confirm that the rear section was 3-5 "teeth" out of alignment with the front end. Obviously not a fun feeling not knowing if it will go back in just prior to departure.
    In addition to being "****-eyed" when retracting and deployed, the slide makes some ugly banging/clanging sounds as it tries to maneuver in and out. We had the rig in the shop two previous times for the same (but not as intense) knocking sounds and each time they "fixed" it. The previous visits did not involve it being "****-eyed" and not meshing with respect to the teeth. I return the rig to the dealer tomorrow and have told them to find out what caused this - not just "fix it". I have called both GD and Lippert to get case numbers. I only post this because I have not seen any other "posts" on this type of issue on any of the GD forums or Facebook. I have seen similar issue on non-GD forum but it didn't go into much detail other than it took 3 guys to manually move the slide back to its proper position. That's not a good thing to know if it happens to us again in the future and not be under warranty. We were level when it happened. If anyone knows what could have happened - it would be appreciated. In the mean time I will have to rely on the dealer .... and Lippert?
    2020 Momentum 397TH - 2019 Ram 3500 - ICON Golf Cart 40L - 1200 watts solar - 600 amps battery

d2reid is our resident 397 guru , maybe he will have some helpful info to pass on to you. The only thing I can pass on is it is important to hold the button on the Schwintec slides for 5 or more seconds after extension or retraction is complete to keep motors in sync.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Welcome to the forum! We're sorry that your first post is for a problem but you have came to the right place for help.
      Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
      Nash County, NC
      2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

Our main slide is not a Schwintec. (Our bedroom is). Our main slide and the refrigerator slide are hydraulic "pass through" gear driven drives. One end has a motor and that ends has a drive shaft that supposedly control the rear (slave). The "teeth" are supposedly to keep both ends aligned with each other. Unless of course they decide not to... :(
        2020 Momentum 397TH - 2019 Ram 3500 - ICON Golf Cart 40L - 1200 watts solar - 600 amps battery

Comment

CaptDan

it is difficult to imagine how the alignment racks and gear teeth could “jump a tooth (or more)” . . . those pieces have serious engagement. I would wonder about the shaft connecting one gear to the other. Is there a bolt or shear pin that has failed such that these gears are not turning together?

Rob
          Cate & Rob
          (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
          2015 Reflection 303RLS
          2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I have not pulled the bottom sheathing to take a look see in that area. Everything else looks normal except for the rear "90 degree" elbow bracket, which is bent 15-20 degrees.
            Same thing happened to same bracket on our 2nd repair job .. I'm assuming it's related. As for it being teeth being "jumped", I have not actually "counted' them to see what is
            what since the teeth disappear into the frame. However, the repair tech at the dealer we made a stop at on the day it happened - that's what his guess was. We also delivered
            the rig to my home dealer upon our return and that was their guess but they were waiting on Lippert to send someone out to take a look before working on it. So, I guess, it could
            be that the teeth were not jumped ...but then how does one end consistently stay out of whack? Roughly 4 1/2 inches - depending on whether I give it some "assistance". If i push
            too hard to get the rear end in, the rear will actually completely seal but then it leaves the front 4 inches out - If i have to drive with one end out - I prefer it to be the rear - especially
            if it rains without warning. What is really weird is that upon deployment at a KOA, half way through the deployment a large "wood bolt" fell out from the area under the slide onto the cement
            slab of the campsite. If I wasn't looking at that exact area, I never would have noticed it and probably not if it was dirt site. I have attached a picture of it. I immediately crawled under the
            slide but could not find any "hole' where it could come from. in addition it looks to "big" to be used on a trailer slide? I forgot about this bolt and need to give it to the dealer tech tomorrow. Click image for larger version

Name:	Mysterious bolt.jpg
Views:	499
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	35053

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
              CaptDan

it is difficult to imagine how the alignment racks and gear teeth could “jump a tooth (or more)” . . . those pieces have serious engagement. I would wonder about the shaft connecting one gear to the other. Is there a bolt or shear pin that has failed such that these gears are not turning together?

Rob
              I had a through frame slide on my Keystone FW, and actually had a tooth sheer off which allowed it to jump a tooth every time it made a rotation. By the time if was fully extended, it was off by several inches.

I'd closely examine the teeth on both the dominant and idler gears for defects. If you find a broken tooth, you can remove the shaft and turn one side with a wrench while moving the other side with the motor. This will work until you can find replacement parts.

Jim
              Jim and Ginnie
              2024 Solitude 310GK
              GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
              GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by CaptDan View Post
                The dealer did confirm that the rear section was 3-5 "teeth" out of alignment with the front end.
                Is the "rear" the drive side or the idler side of the slide? As the diagram below shows, the drive side has the hydraulic actuator. The idler side just follows along, driven by the cross shaft.

Click image for larger version

Name:	diagram.JPG
Views:	508
Size:	116.3 KB
ID:	35057

If you'd like to do some reading, go to https://support.lci1.com/2-x-2-hydraulic-slide-system and click on the Manuals tab. The service manual has a lot of good info.

Click image for larger version

Name:	manual1.JPG
Views:	448
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	35058
                When you do find out exactly what is causing the misalignment please post the findings

Howard.
                Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

The rear is the "Idler" side. and thanks Jim for the emergency repair info... If they can't find out "why" it happened, I going to need emergency repair
                  instructions that doesn't involve "3 guys"...

Comment

Howard - Thanks for the manual extracts

Comment

I'm not 100% sure but I think i think the "cross shaft" on out unit is under the bottom sheathing (i.e. "inboard") not on the outer side of the slide.
                      Not sure it makes a difference but there surely isn't a gear pack that you can see on the idler side - so it must be 'inside'.

Comment

Originally posted by CaptDan View Post
                        The rear is the "Idler" side. and thanks Jim for the emergency repair info... If they can't find out "why" it happened, I going to need emergency repair
                        instructions that doesn't involve "3 guys"...
                        I read your other responses too about the hydraulic version having the gear pack inside. When my tooth broke, I was by myself and was able to get the slide back in by taking a couple turns on the shaft, then letting the motor side catch up. Then repeat over and over and over again. But I got there.

I'm taking a wild guess, but I'll bet your gear pack is under the belly liner. So access will be a little more difficult to inspect and repair if needed.

Jim
                        Jim and Ginnie
                        2024 Solitude 310GK
                        GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                        GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

yea, I'm 65 and getting adverse to crawling anywhere especially having to pull down perfectly good sheathing and hoping to get it back up the way it was.
                          I kept cheating by "helping it along"... I was expecting that to "end" at any time where i would have to go under and do something - or at least call a tech.
                          Tomorrow it goes back to the dealer without having to close it again other than this issue we like the unit other than us calling it a towed "condominium".

Comment

Been off grid for a few days. Howard as usual provided good information. It's likely that the bolt got caught in the system and caused the idler arm to shear in the gear pack or jump teeth. This is not a repair that I would attempt. Hopefully your dealer in cooperation with LCI can effect a good repair.

If it was me, when I went to pick it up I would isolate that slide using the knobs in the passenger side propane cabinet and run that slide out and in at least 5 times. If there was any drag, popping noise, or misalignment I would get it addressed immediately. Being fall they should have plenty of time available to make the repair correctly.
                            2017 Momentum 376, 2019 Ford F450
                            2022 Triumph Scrambler Motorcycle
                            E-bikes, Hobi Pedal Kayaks
                            Kota the dog and KC the Kitty Cat

Comment

Working...
                            X