Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2021 303rls fridge side slider too close to island when retracted.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2021 303rls fridge side slider too close to island when retracted.

Hi there,

When I close the fridge and stove side slider, the bottom left panel of the fridge comes into contact with one of the cabinet doors of the island. They're rubbing against each other and both are now damaged. My wife and I just discovered this yesterday while doing some rearranging in the trailer before a trip. The 303 is brand new and has only been on one camping trip nearby.

Does anyone know if the fridge in the 303rls can be moved at all? No matter what I'm going to have to take the rig in to the dealer, but I'd like to get the fridge out of contact with the island before towing it again.

thanks
    Jesse & Anita
    2021 Reflection 303rls
    2020 Chevy Silverado 3500, Duramax long bed SRW

They will probably move the island a little unless the fridge is not installed properly. You could drape a towel over the island door before bringing the slide in to stop the rubbing.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Jesse4

The “closed slide” fit between the island and the slides on both sides has always required careful island positioning. The fix will be to move the island slightly, but keep an eye on dining table to island clearance on the other side. Move the island too far away from the fridge and the table will hit it. Our compromise is to have light contact with the table (using a protective blanket draped over the table) to keep clear of the fridge.

Definitely something that should be covered by your warranty.

Rob
      Last edited by Cate&Rob; 12-11-2020, 08:48 AM.
      Cate & Rob
      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
      2015 Reflection 303RLS
      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Jesse4
        A further thought on this (I know . . . already into modifying production build ) would be to replace the OE handles on the island doors. They could be replaced with something similar but lower profile or eliminated completely by drilling "finger holes". There are trim rings available for finger holes. If the OE doors are damaged, it would be reasonable to ask Grand Design for new doors supplied without handles.

Rob
        Cate & Rob
        2015 Reflection 303RLS
        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Moving the island sounds like a big job. Wouldn't that also require moving the drain pipe and possibly replacing flooring around the island? Or is this something that's easier to do than I realize?
          Jesse & Anita
          2021 Reflection 303rls

Comment

Originally posted by Jesse4 View Post
            Moving the island sounds like a big job. Wouldn't that also require moving the drain pipe and possibly replacing flooring around the island? Or is this something that's easier to do than I realize?
            The flooring runs under the island, so that's not an issue. And the drain pipe can be adjusted a little. It really is not too tough a job to get you a little more clearance.

Jim
            Jim and Ginnie
            2024 Solitude 310GK
            GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
            GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

From Jesse4 original post it sounds like damage occurred post delivery. In other words the the 303RLS made it from the factory to the dealer without damage. Doesn't this indicate that something, most likely the refrigerator, has shifted? Not trying to say that Jesse4 is to blame for the frig not staying in place, just that moving the fridge back and making sure it is secured in place would likely be my first choice.
              John
              2018 Momentum 395M
              2018 Ram 3500 Dually
              Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

Here are pictures of the spot. You can also see how close the slider and the island are to each other.

Jesse & Anita
                2021 Reflection 303rls

Comment

Jesse4 i am having the same issue. 2020 303RLS we have been on two trips, we noticed the problem after we picked up from purchasing the RV. We tried keeping a piece of thin foam between the doors but last trip the foam came out and caused the exact damage you have shown in your pictures. I am trying to figure out the best way to approach this problem as well.I guess i will contact dealer and see what the best options are.

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfepack View Post
                    Jesse4 i am having the same issue. 2020 303RLS we have been on two trips, we noticed the problem after we picked up from purchasing the RV. We tried keeping a piece of thin foam between the doors but last trip the foam came out and caused the exact damage you have shown in your pictures. I am trying to figure out the best way to approach this problem as well.I guess i will contact dealer and see what the best options are.
                    Wolfepack--noted that was your first post so please check out the Welcome Letter to New Members https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members

Cate&Rob is a long-time owner of a 303RLS. His replies to Jesse4 in posts 3 and 4. Please post back upon resolution! One of the strengths of an owners' forum is the corporate knowledge gained by everyone sharing their experiences.

Again--welcome!

Howard
                    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Re: Requesting new cabinet doors: We had one cabinet door with a large spot that didn’t take the stain properly. Dealer & GD agreed to replace it but it would take a while to get, so they shipped it to our home several weeks later. Unfortunately, when we got to our unit in FL, found the new door did not have the hinge pockets drilled. I was fortunate to have a retired cabinet maker friend who measured & marked the door and arranged to get the hinge pockets drilled. Fit perfectly. So, if you are to get new replacement doors, be sure to specify that hinge pockets be drilled (if applicable).
                      Doug & Barb
                      2020 Solitude 377MBS-R
                      2013 F-150 Lariat SuperCrew SB, 2WD, 3.5 EB, Stock Suspension & Michelin Tires
                      No, we don’t pull the Solitude, it’s permanently parked on our campsite in SW Fla.
                      Previous: Keystone Premier 31BHPR w/Equalizer 1200 WD Hitch

Comment

Just took delivery of our 303 and have the same problem fridge just hitting cabinet at bottom. There working on it today, I was told they do have slide adjusters and bump stops. I only need 1/4"
                        2021 Reflection 303RLS
                        2019 Ram 2500 short box 6.4 Hemi
                        Anderson ultimate hitch

Comment

Can one replace the wood paneling on the fridge with something that is lower profile like stainless panels? That would give you another 3/4" or more.
                          2021 Solitude S-2930 RL
                          1200 watts solar, 3KW inverter, 400 A/Hr LiFePO4 batteries
                          2020 Ford F-350 CC LB Crew Cab SRW 6.7L 4x4 3.55

Comment

The fix from dealer recommended by GD is to move the island over 1/2" Ill see how that looks this weekend.
                            2021 Reflection 303RLS
                            2019 Ram 2500 short box 6.4 Hemi
                            Anderson ultimate hitch

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis66 View Post
                              The fix from dealer recommended by GD is to move the island over 1/2" Ill see how that looks this weekend.
                              Before you have them move the island, pull in the dining table slide and measure the clearance between island and table. This is also a tight clearance and might be less than the 1/2” they want to move the island. Their next move might be to shift the table closer to the window . . . which may cause interference between the window shade and the table. Ask me how I know all this . . . .

Rob

Cate & Rob
                              2015 Reflection 303RLS
                              Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Working...
                              X