Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hydraulic fluid puddle appeared after coach sat for 2 weeks. ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hydraulic fluid puddle appeared after coach sat for 2 weeks. ??

Good morning all. I have a 2020 Momentum toyhauler. Yesterday I saw a puddle of hydraulic fluid under the coach (center between 2 slides) mid coach. It wasn't there the day before. I don't think it was even there yesterday in the morning. We set up here 2 weeks ago and haven't moved any hydraulics since. The belly is covered. I observed the area over a period of 2 hours until it was dark and no more drips. I wiped it up and was going to check it out closely this morning but we had a nasty storm last night with more coming later, so that will have to wait. So I thought I would do pre-emptive strike on this issue and ask the question. Any thoughts on where to look or why a leak would take 2 weeks to show up?

Thanks, any input is appreciated

Good morning Barg - How does the level in the reservoir look? Have you lost much fluid? Remember to only add fluid when the slides and landing gear are retracted. If you have a leak in the underbelly, you may be able to remove a few screws holding the belly liner in place and then take a look with a flashlight for the leak. Repairs will be dependent on the location of the leak and the component or hose that's leaking.

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Some suppositions here, Barg :

The leak requires a certain amount of pressure for it to leak. This would indicate a fitting or coupling. Once the pressure bleed off enough the leak stopped. Doesn't mean that the leak went away, just that there is not enough residual pressure in the line to force the oil past the leak, but there is enough that everything is still level and extended. We had a similar problem with one of our stabilizer jacks after purchase and trailer stayed level for over two weeks before we got back to the dealer for replacement.

The time lag between set up and the oil spot showing up is how long it took the oil to find some place in the belly liner that it could get past to show up.

Jim is right that you only want to add oil with all slides and jacks retracted. Mine rarely are except when we're getting ready to travel and who wants to be taken time to check oil level then? I use a piece of tape to mark the reservoir oil level after set up and then check to see if the oil level has dropped below the top of the tape.
      John
      2018 Momentum 395M
      2018 Ram 3500 Dually
      Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

Jim, John thanks for your input. I figured there was a leak somewhere that had to get through the belly. I can"t tell the exact fluid level with everything extended. I'm a little skidish to pull it all in because I fear extend won't extend again. Today's weather is 40 and a sustained 25-30 mph so today's investigation will probably wait until tomorrow. But as soon as I find out something I'll post it for comments/advise.
        Thanks again

Comment

Finally here's what I've found out. Coach-net sent out a tech to diagnose. It is the hydraulic ram seal. I engaged the slide to pull it in and hydraulic fluid started sptaying out before the slide even moved. This is the first time for me to work with the extended warranty company. So far I haven't got an opinion either way yet because the mobile tech that coach net sent out accepted the job, but as it turns out is not prepared to work with my warranty co. Doesn't appear to have his administrative ducks in a row, and may take a few more weeks to do so. Glad I don't have to be somewhere! So I'm going with someone else who has been recommended. I'm feeling pretty good about this guy because he called me back (which seems to be rare, imho), is a hyraulic guy and has an assistant that gets the warranty issue moving. So if he shows today I really be happy.
          This post originally started as a hydraulic issue now has turned into a mobile repair/extended warranty experience post. I'll post again later to update.

Comment

Working...
          X