No announcement yet.

Slide out leaking into wall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm sure you checked this, but just in case... The slide seal sometimes doesn't "flip" when running the slide in and out. If yours didn't, it could be causing the problem. It's easy to manually flip the seal by hand if needed. If the slide room is out, the slide seal should be out also. And likewise, when the slide is in, the seal should flip in too.

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by GD376THS2022 View Post
      If anybody knows a real life fix I would really appreciate the info. Tx
      Pls post pics of the issue(s).
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

This is looking from the inside, slide out where you can see daylight. Both slides in the LR area. I think someone forgot to put seals in the proper place or forgot them altogether.

covid build ;(
        Last edited by GD376THS2022; 01-01-2023, 07:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
          I'm sure you checked this, but just in case... The slide seal sometimes doesn't "flip" when running the slide in and out. If yours didn't, it could be causing the problem. It's easy to manually flip the seal by hand if needed. If the slide room is out, the slide seal should be out also. And likewise, when the slide is in, the seal should flip in too.

Jim
          I assume that is on the outside on the rail? I have looked at them and I believe those are proper. I think there is supposed to be an interior seal which seems to be non existent.

Comment

The slide seems to be all the way out. Water is only coming in from the passenger slide so far. I did reset the level to make sure it wasnt leaning in and the water was finding its path.

regardless I have holes under the couches which cant be proper.

nice upgrade for me. Lol

Comment

Your slide seals, GD376THS2022, may be different from mine, but I'll go with what I've got. Along the bottom of my slide opening are three flat seals, shingled like roofing tiles. These are best viewed from the outside with the slide out. As far as I can see with the slide out, there is not a bulb seal along the bottom of the slide opening, but I could be wrong. If there is a bulb seal it would be mounted on the bottom of the opening and probable can best be seen with the slide partially in, just at the tilting point.

Over the top and down the sides of the slide opening, on the cabin side face are bulb seals that gets compressed when the slide is out. While the seal that TucsonJim mentions helps prevent water intrusion it is these inner bulb seals that stops the water from getting into the cabin, and then the three flat seals along the bottom of the slide opening direct the water to the outside. I have had the inner bulb seal across the top pull loose and it may be worthwhile to check all three of the bulb seals. The reason I bring these seals up is that it is unlikely that it is raining upwards under the slide. It is more likely that the water running down the side(s) of the slide is getting past bulb seals.

While you don't specify whether it is the kitchen lights in the roadside slide or in the main cabin roof that are flickering, I'm thinking they are in the slide. Either way, my first thought went to the infamous molex connectors in the underbelly. Many threads on the forum on these bad boys so I won't go into detail on them, other than to note that this flickering may be a sign of moisture in the underbelly, and yes, it could be related to the seals around the slide.
              John
              2018 Momentum 395M
              2018 Ram 3500 Dually
              Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

GD376THS2022

It is not unusual to see light at the bottom corners of a slide . . . mine have been this way since new . . . many years ago. There is a plastic cup that catches water that runs down the side seals. This cup is supposed to be tipped outward and has a drain hole that could be blocked.

Rob
                Cate & Rob
                (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                2015 Reflection 303RLS
                2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by JBill9694 View Post
                  Your slide seals, GD376THS2022, may be different from mine, but I'll go with what I've got. Along the bottom of my slide opening are three flat seals, shingled like roofing tiles. These are best viewed from the outside with the slide out. As far as I can see with the slide out, there is not a bulb seal along the bottom of the slide opening, but I could be wrong. If there is a bulb seal it would be mounted on the bottom of the opening and probable can best be seen with the slide partially in, just at the tilting point.

Over the top and down the sides of the slide opening, on the cabin side face are bulb seals that gets compressed when the slide is out. While the seal that TucsonJim mentions helps prevent water intrusion it is these inner bulb seals that stops the water from getting into the cabin, and then the three flat seals along the bottom of the slide opening direct the water to the outside. I have had the inner bulb seal across the top pull loose and it may be worthwhile to check all three of the bulb seals. The reason I bring these seals up is that it is unlikely that it is raining upwards under the slide. It is more likely that the water running down the side(s) of the slide is getting past bulb seals.

While you don't specify whether it is the kitchen lights in the roadside slide or in the main cabin roof that are flickering, I'm thinking they are in the slide. Either way, my first thought went to the infamous molex connectors in the underbelly. Many threads on the forum on these bad boys so I won't go into detail on them, other than to note that this flickering may be a sign of moisture in the underbelly, and yes, it could be related to the seals around the slide.
                  I will have a call in to GD tomorrow first thing and will discuss in further detail. Might be as simple as they forgot to install the bulb seal as I do not see anything like that.

It is def coming in on a path of the rails. That is why I added some weather stripping for now but that has not stopped it from coming in. On my second full size towel for catching the water before it gets to the floor.

The lights only went off once and flickered maybe twice and it was the overhead kitchen lights and not in the slides. First I have heard about moisture building in the underbelly. Hope the underbelly isn't full of water :(. I will search the threads out.

Thank you for the information
                  Last edited by GD376THS2022; 01-02-2023, 05:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                    GD376THS2022

It is not unusual to see light at the bottom corners of a slide . . . mine have been this way since new . . . many years ago. There is a plastic cup that catches water that runs down the side seals. This cup is supposed to be tipped outward and has a drain hole that could be blocked.

Rob
                    I don't accept there being open areas to the outside of the coach when the slides are out are normal. It should not be the case and would be a bad design IMO. Bees, bugs, cold, hot air would just be a few other possible issues as well. It is a defect and needs fixed.

I believe the rain is running down the rails into the trailer under the slide. Something is wrong here and I intend to get it fixed and closed up.

Thanks for the input

Comment

So…my mobile guy tried some weather stripping. That did not work.

i got lucky and the GD SRT was nearby and they came by. Siliconed the inside of the rail at the base. Also did some work on the “rain spouts” to extend them away more from the trailer. We have rain coming this weekend so I will find out if it fixed the issue or not.

fingers crossed.

Comment

We owned a 2019 Solitude which was fantastic, tgen we ordered a 376RD this spring. The number of problems from small to big are astonishing. This thing leaks like a sive. Dealer really can't fix it and GD is giving me the runaround.

The headboard, dining (damaging table), and entry door windows all leak. There was a leak into the basement from the water heater/furnace area. Both rear slides have major leak into basement and interior floor. The bedroom slide also leaks but not as bad. The dealer has another Solitude with same issue that they can't seem to fix. I spoke to a RV tech at a campground who has a 2023 390RK that had the same problem. He said GD has a known problem. He brough his back to GD only after really fighting to do so (so much for quality customer service). He said the slides need to be removed to make the proper repair. I can tolerate all the smaller repairs, but this is completely unacceptable! I would be very cautious before purchasing. I'm not sure where to turn to actually get this resolved. I will say the floorplan is amazing!

Comment

Originally posted by Cory J View Post
                          We owned a 2019 Solitude which was fantastic, tgen we ordered a 376RD this spring. The number of problems from small to big are astonishing. This thing leaks like a sive. Dealer really can't fix it and GD is giving me the runaround.

The headboard, dining (damaging table), and entry door windows all leak. There was a leak into the basement from the water heater/furnace area. Both rear slides have major leak into basement and interior floor. The bedroom slide also leaks but not as bad. The dealer has another Solitude with same issue that they can't seem to fix. I spoke to a RV tech at a campground who has a 2023 390RK that had the same problem. He said GD has a known problem. He brough his back to GD only after really fighting to do so (so much for quality customer service). He said the slides need to be removed to make the proper repair. I can tolerate all the smaller repairs, but this is completely unacceptable! I would be very cautious before purchasing. I'm not sure where to turn to actually get this resolved. I will say the floorplan is amazing!
                          Please keep the forum updated, Cory J, with what transpires with your RV.
                          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

Will do. It's been at the dealership now for three weeks and no word.

Comment

Well after six weeks at the dealer this is what was done:

Pumped a bunch of lap sealant in all the Schwintek slides (don't believe this is going to work long term), replaced entry door, replaced dining window and table, replaced on of the solar panels, adjusted storage door to stop leak, new hinge on fridge, finished fixing outside leak from water heater/furnace area, new brake pads (they forgot to replace rotors so I'm having them sent to me and I'll replace), put putty in style where every cabinet door above tv is digging in. They said they could not fix bent shocks (delivered bent) so I called Morryde and they sent to me and I replaced. Just went on a weekend trip and I had to rebuild kitchen drain plumbing. A nut cracked and of course because they use inferior parts, I could not just replace the one nut.

Soooo discusted! I'm going to call GD again and see what they say before emailing Mr. Clark.​

Comment

Cory J -- disappointing. Completely understand why you'd be unhappy. I don't understand the "pumped a bunch of lap sealant in all the Schwintek slides" statement. Where did they pump in sealant? Post a few pictures (please).

Howard

Comment

Working...
                                X