Slide out leaking into wall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slide out leaking into wall

We have developed a leak in our 2020 376ths. The front living door side slide is allowing water to get past the outer wiper and then is trapped between the inner and outer wiper and is coming into the living room thru the carpet and is also leaking into the front pass through compartment.

GD has suggested we work with a mobile repair tech as we are 1000 miles from our dealer. So far he is baffled. A little less than 1/4” rain outside gave us 3.5 cups of water we sopped up from the floor. It’s clearly leaking at the floor level and not near the sofa. The slid will not leak when closed. We have been closing it every time they predict rain.

Im looking for drawing of how the rain seal and the track across the bottom is constructed or any advise on where this failure may happening.

TIA
    Last edited by howson; 06-28-2022, 05:11 PM. Reason: Fixed spelling in title

Moderator note: this post is from https://gdrvowners.com/forum/exterio...ard-to-replace Ideally it should be after post #3 but the software decided to put it here...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's the OEM setup (terrible diagram--hopefully you can "see" it). Note that the bulb seal slides right off the wiper seal "L" frame (there's a screw at the top and bottom attaching the bulb seal to the "L" frame):

Click image for larger version  Name:	Seals Diagram.JPG Views:	481 Size:	63.7 KB ID:	2795
    Attached Files
    Last edited by howson; 01-17-2021, 10:27 PM.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by OCBray View Post
      We have developed a leak in our 2020 376ths. The front living door side slide is allowing water to get past the outer wiper and then is trapped between the inner and outer wiper and is coming into the living room thru the carpet and is also leaking into the front pass through compartment.

GD has suggested we work with a mobile repair tech as we are 1000 miles from our dealer. So far he is baffled. A little less than 1/4” rain outside gave us 3.5 cups of water we sopped up from the floor. It’s clearly leaking at the floor level and not near the sofa. The slid will not leak when closed. We have been closing it every time they predict rain.

Im looking for drawing of how the rain seal and the track across the bottom is constructed or any advise on where this failure may happening.

TIA
      Noted this was your first post, so please check out the Welcome Letter to New Members https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members

The slideout has rubber seals that look like a D. These are not the wiper seals--they are called bulb seals. There are two sets--one when the slide is extended and one when the slide is retracted.

From your description is sounds like the slideout is not extending far enough to compress the interior seals or the seals are torn or otherwise damaged. Peak your head around the side of the trim on the interior of the slide and you'll see the seal.

I'll copy a post from https://gdrvowners.com/forum/exterio...ard-to-replace into this thread so you have a visual on what it looks like. The thread is long, but reading it may help you understand how it all works.

Howard

P.S. Because of how this software works, the copied post went to post #2 in this thread.
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. After seeing the video in the referenced link. I think I have a couple of problems going on here. The outer slide wiper does not contact the top of the side above the drive worm track and at the bottom it is in contact with the side. The top seal barley overlaps the side seal and is not glued to it.

I'm thinking I’m going to have to wait to get it back to the dealer because it sounds like the slide will have to be removed to replace both.

Are dealers capable removing slides for this kind of repair or should I contact GD to see about taking it to the factory?

Thanks again for the help.

Comment

Originally posted by OCBray View Post
          Thanks for the feedback. After seeing the video in the referenced link. I think I have a couple of problems going on here. The outer slide wiper does not contact the top of the side above the drive worm track and at the bottom it is in contact with the side. The top seal barley overlaps the side seal and is not glued to it.

I'm thinking I’m going to have to wait to get it back to the dealer because it sounds like the slide will have to be removed to replace both.

Are dealers capable removing slides for this kind of repair or should I contact GD to see about taking it to the factory?

Thanks again for the help.
          Yes, your dealer should have the capability of removing (or "hyper-extending") a slide.

Note in post 26 of the other thread there's a picture of the new-style seal GD is using. The advantage of this new style is it can be replaced without removing the slide. https://gdrvowners.com/forum/exterio...=8196#post8196

Consult with your dealer--perhaps this new style seal will be advantageous to install vs the old one.

Howard

Comment

I have an update. The mobile tech returned and found that the bottom drip channel is cut near the end that leaks. Temporary fix was some waterproof tape until we can get back home to the dealer. This still does not address the issue of the outer side wiper allowing water to get in there.

Thanks for everyone’s feedback. The slides are a little more complicated than I was hoping.

Thanks again.

Comment

I have this same problem on my 2 month old 376ths built 7-2022. I winterized it and closed the slides a week ago, today i go to hook up and set the jacks to hitch height, as the rv lowered into position water started gushing out in the pass through under the living room slide on the kitchen side! I was beside myself and i am

Comment

Originally posted by Jvjf View Post
                I have this same problem on my 2 month old 376ths built 7-2022. I winterized it and closed the slides a week ago, today i go to hook up and set the jacks to hitch height, as the rv lowered into position water started gushing out in the pass through under the living room slide on the kitchen side! I was beside myself and i am
                I'm sure this is obvious, but that needs to be addressed ASAP. Call your dealer AND Grand Design Customer Service on Monday. (GD's # is on the "business card", home page of this forum.)

Comment

Grand design has had the dealer readjust the slides and when i opened the slides this spring the seal on kitchen slide did not flip out correctly, no big deal we’ll just slide it back in and out again, on sliding it in it peels the plastic slide ski off the bottom corner of the slide, also had a piece of ceiling trim fall down not enough tacks and now i have decal issues, they a lifting where they meet a door under the sealant! Sealant shrinking and gd is telling me that its been 6 months and now its my issue! I have used the unit 2 times! Unreal issues in 6 months for a high end unit!

Comment

Comment

sO.....i "UPGRADED" FROM a 2018 351M to a 2022 376THS. I have the water leaking in thru the living room passenger side slide from underneath. From the inside you can look and see daylight when the slide is out and this is the same on either slide when out in the LR. I added some weather stripping to the rails on the inside and outside to see if that would help and it did not. Today lights overhead in the kitchen started flickering and went out. I turned them on again and they flickered and stayed on. I am afraid there is water coming in thru the ceiling somewhere and affecting the electrical.

I haven't checked the pass thru bay area for water intrusion there yet but will.

We are going to get a lot of rain the next few days and I am dreading it all.

I was hesitant to buy a "covid" timeframe made unit but went against my own advice.

Right now I have towels plugged into where I believe the water is coming in and that is helping but......

I live in this thing full time and it is very much an issue for me to get it in to the dealership for repairs.

Not happy at all and I feel this is going to fall on my shoulders to get it fixed properly.

I will be calling GD again tomorrow to discuss.

Agggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhh

Comment

Originally posted by GD376THS2022 View Post
                        sO.....i "UPGRADED" FROM a 2018 351M to a 2022 376THS. I have the water leaking in thru the living room passenger side slide from underneath. From the inside you can look and see daylight when the slide is out and this is the same on either slide when out in the LR. I added some weather stripping to the rails on the inside and outside to see if that would help and it did not. Today lights overhead in the kitchen started flickering and went out. I turned them on again and they flickered and stayed on. I am afraid there is water coming in thru the ceiling somewhere and affecting the electrical.

I haven't checked the pass thru bay area for water intrusion there yet but will.

We are going to get a lot of rain the next few days and I am dreading it all.

I was hesitant to buy a "covid" timeframe made unit but went against my own advice.

Right now I have towels plugged into where I believe the water is coming in and that is helping but......

I live in this thing full time and it is very much an issue for me to get it in to the dealership for repairs.

Not happy at all and I feel this is going to fall on my shoulders to get it fixed properly.

I will be calling GD again tomorrow to discuss.

Agggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhh
                        Welcome to the tech forum. Condolences on the problem you're having. Is there anything we (other owners) can do to help?

Jim
                        Jim and Ginnie
                        2024 Solitude 310GK
                        GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                        GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post

Welcome to the tech forum. Condolences on the problem you're having. Is there anything we (other owners) can do to help?

Jim
                          I will continue to check as much as I can. Kind of in a hostage situation right now. I can't just easily run this to the dealer and a mobile guy can only do so much. I know I shouldn't see daylight from the bottom of my slides from inside looking out. :(

Comment

If anybody knows a real life fix I would really appreciate the info. Tx

Comment

Good news…small steps I guess. No water in the front storage bay area at this time.

Comment

Working...
                              X