2021 303 RLS - Slide Out ripped floor on Dinette side

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2021 303 RLS - Slide Out ripped floor on Dinette side

We purchased a 2021 303 RLS. We camped in it for 2 weeks after purchased and had to take it back to dealer for minor warranty work.

After 3 months at the dealer, we finally got it back.

Took it camping and when we move the slides out, our floor was ripped from the slide out on the dinette side.

There was nothing in the way that we could see on the floor.

It lines up with a rip on the black rubber edge of the slide out. You will notice it does not start at the edge it starts in the middle of the floor.

Looks like it dropped in the middle of the floor and ripped it.

I have read somewhere that this happened to other people on GD’s but different models.

We are taking to the dealer again it have this looked at in March.

Has anyone had this issue? If so, can you tell me what to expect on this repair.

Push back from manufacture, do they replace the whole flooring or just part of it, etc.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Redondoraptor

Sorry to learn about this, but you are certainly not the first to have this happen. From your pictures. the cause of this slice in the main floor linoleum is likely a screw sticking through the slide floor. With the slide fully out, you may be able to see this screw from underneath the slide. The location of the damage is also not unusual. As the slide is pulled in, it starts with most of the weight outside the RV wall but as it passes its balance point, the weight moves inside the wall and the slide tips down. As it reaches the fully in position the top of the slide box comes up against the wall and the slide tips back up to level.

A clean cut like this would usually be repaired. A good vinyl floor repair technician would make this damage nearly invisible. You really don't want the flooring replaced unless absolutely necessary. In the assembly plant, the flooring goes on first. Every wall, cabinet, slide support, etc is on top of this flooring. To replace the flooring, they would have to cut around everything and do their best to fit and fasten the replacement flooring.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Redondoraptor -- I'll leave the specifics of the slide situation to the other 303 owners (like Cate&Rob ).

After the repair (or even in the meantime to minimize further damage) you might consider getting a set of "slide slickers". I have two sets, one for each of the big slides in my 315RLTS.

Click image for larger version

Name:	slide protectors.JPG
Views:	620
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	43523
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Thank you Rob, in regards to fixing, that is exactly what I was thinking. UGH. Last thing I need is to have the entire floor ripped up and replaced. That option doesn't sound good. Looked under at it with the slide out and couldn't see anything since it is all covered. Didn't want to go and start tearing it apart. Thanks for the heads on on the fix, I am going to talk to some professional flooring people and see what they say.

Howson, thanks for the heads up, I found these after the fact. I am purchasing these ASAP.

I owned an other toy hauler with slide outs and never had this issue.

Maybe something good will come from this post and helps anyone buying a new rig with slide outs

Thanks again everyone.

Comment

Update on this tear in the floor issue.

After researching this more, I think I found the problem. The slides do not have rollers.

When we took it to the dealer for the items to be fixed, one of them was the dinette table being loose.

When I looked at the tear in the floor, I noticed it lined up exactly where the the dinette was screwed to the floor.

I placed a piece of tape on the tear and when bringing the slide in and out, the tape got scratched.

I backed the screw out of the dinette table and move the slide in and out again, and the new tape DID NOT get scratched.

So the result looks to be the person who fixed the table at the dealership drove the screw in table to the floor to deep and caused this issue.

We will see what happens when I take in to be reviewed by the dealer.

I hope this may help other owners with a loose table, be careful.

Thanks again for everyone's response.

Comment

Originally posted by Redondoraptor View Post
            So the result looks to be the person who fixed the table at the dealership drove the screw in table to the floor to deep and caused this issue.
            Good find and troubleshooting! Thanks for the update.
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by Redondoraptor View Post
              Update on this tear in the floor issue.

After researching this more, I think I found the problem. The slides do not have rollers.

When we took it to the dealer for the items to be fixed, one of them was the dinette table being loose.

When I looked at the tear in the floor, I noticed it lined up exactly where the the dinette was screwed to the floor.

I placed a piece of tape on the tear and when bringing the slide in and out, the tape got scratched.

I backed the screw out of the dinette table and move the slide in and out again, and the new tape DID NOT get scratched.

We will see what happens when I take in to be reviewed by the dealer.

I hope this may help other owners with a loose table, be careful.

Thanks again for everyone's response.
              You should be able to get another confirmation by looking at the underneath of the slide when extended and see the holes where the too long of screws were. If you have the too long of screws, you can reinsert and see just how far they were extending beneath the slide floor. Take some pictures to show the dealer in order that they can share with their staff to not make the same mistakes again.

Dan
              Dan & Carol
              2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
              2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

Redondoraptor

You are not the first to discover that a dealer trying to fasten down the table (or the recliners) used screws that protrude through the bottom of the slide. Reflection 303s have never had rollers under the dinette slide. This is done to keep the floor of the slide as close as possible to the level of the main floor and is possible because this slide is relatively lightweight, carrying only the table and chairs plus the recliners. Something to remember if storing heavy things in this slide to balance out the side-to-side weight difference, ever comes to mind.

Slide Slickers on this slide are difficult to position because it does not have rollers. It slides plastic-to-plastic with most of the weight carried by the ends of the slide. This is where we position our two slide slickers, but I use a sheet of plexiglass where there is a mid-travel touch point at about the center of the slide. I also use Slide Slickers under the mid rollers on the kitchen slide. These have to be shortened to fit between the island and the wall.

You should have a good bargaining position with your dealer for them covering the floor repair, since they will have record of screwing down the table. BTW . . . that table is wobbly at the best of times because of flex in the floor . . . more screws is not going to fix this. If you find an expert vinyl flooring repair guy, you might want to have this guy do the repair and go after your dealer for reimbursement, rather than going with flooring repair by the RV dealer.

Rob
                Cate & Rob
                (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                2015 Reflection 303RLS
                2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Thank you Rob for the information.

We have no weight on the slide out, just what is there from factory.

We are going to be looking for a good repair company.

We were only in this rig for 10 days since we bought it brand new. ugh

Wondering how much deprecation this may cause as well.

Comment

Thank you Dan as well.

Comment

Working...
                    X