Replacing the two-room manifold/valve on a Solitude

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing the two-room manifold/valve on a Solitude

Does anyone on the forum have any experience replacing the hydraulic two-room manifold/valve on a Solitude (or probably Momentum) with the hydraulic slides? This two-valve manifold is the one which can be used to select which of the hydraulic slides goes in or out first, etc. On our 310GK, it's located on the partition between the passenger side LP compartment and the front battery compartment. We have a very small fluid leak from ours and I'm working with GD to get a replacement. The issue is that there are no mobile techs within 2-1/2 hours of Aberdeen Proving Ground in Maryland!

I have spoken with LCI technical support and the process seems straightforward. The tech said that there shouldn't be any real pressure in the lines once with slides are brought in and the valves are closed, but there may be a little "dripping" and to keep the open ends of the lines elevated after removal. Bleeding the system just involves running the slides in and out and letting any bubbles in the reservoir float to the surface and pop each time. My question is this: if you have performed this replacement yourself, how did it go? Was it messy or did you loose significant amounts of fluid?

Rob
    Rob & Laura
    U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
    2012 F350 DRW CC Lariat PS 6.7, PullRite OE 18K
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS and disc brakes, solar, BB LiFePO4, DP windows
    (Previously in a 2016 Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Originally posted by Second Chance View Post
    Does anyone on the forum have any experience replacing the hydraulic two-room manifold/valve on a Solitude (or probably Momentum) with the hydraulic slides? This two-valve manifold is the one which can be used to select which of the hydraulic slides goes in or out first, etc. On our 310GK, it's located on the partition between the passenger side LP compartment and the front battery compartment. We have a very small fluid leak from ours and I'm working with GD to get a replacement. The issue is that there are no mobile techs within 2-1/2 hours of Aberdeen Proving Ground in Maryland!

I have spoken with LCI technical support and the process seems straightforward. The tech said that there shouldn't be any real pressure in the lines once with slides are brought in and the valves are closed, but there may be a little "dripping" and to keep the open ends of the lines elevated after removal. Bleeding the system just involves running the slides in and out and letting any bubbles in the reservoir float to the surface and pop each time. My question is this: if you have performed this replacement yourself, how did it go? Was it messy or did you loose significant amounts of fluid?

Rob
    Rob
    Hydraulics is Hydraulics. It just depends on the fittings used.
    Do you have any AGG dealers or construction equipment dealers near you? Also look up hydraulic hose repair in the phone book. I am not sure what GD uses, but some fittings can be tightened and other take O-rings. Take a few good pictures and touch base with any good Agg dealer or heavy construction place - anyone that works with hydraulic lines. I am sure they can fix you right up.

I am not a fitting expert. but if you can post a picture of the problem fitting I might get you close. I know enough to be dangerous based on my farm equipment.

Hope this helps
    Keith
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post

Rob
      Hydraulics is Hydraulics. It just depends on the fittings used.
      Do you have any AGG dealers or construction equipment dealers near you? Also look up hydraulic hose repair in the phone book. I am not sure what GD uses, but some fittings can be tightened and other take O-rings. Take a few good pictures and touch base with any good Agg dealer or heavy construction place - anyone that works with hydraulic lines. I am sure they can fix you right up.

I am not a fitting expert. but if you can post a picture of the problem fitting I might get you close. I know enough to be dangerous based on my farm equipment.

Hope this helps
      Keith
      It's not the fittings or hoses leaking, but rather the O-rings on the shafts to the valve knobs on the manifold/valve assembly and that's all that needs replacing. Everything else is tight and dry. The hydraulic lines are all like-new and Lippert says they can be disconnected and reconnected without any problems (of course I'll be labeling and taking some photos so I get them back on the right nipples!). Thanks, though.

Rob
      Rob & Laura
      U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
      2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS and disc brakes, solar, BB LiFePO4, DP windows
      Full time since 08/2015

Comment

Originally posted by Second Chance View Post

It's not the fittings or hoses leaking, but rather the O-rings on the shafts to the valve knobs on the manifold/valve assembly and that's all that needs replacing. Everything else is tight and dry. The hydraulic lines are all like-new and Lippert says they can be disconnected and reconnected without any problems (of course I'll be labeling and taking some photos so I get them back on the right nipples!). Thanks, though.

Rob
        The valve can be rebuilt by any typical hydraulic shop.. Also there should be identifying marks on the valve. Take those and do a search. My guess it is available online.
        2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

UPDATE: Grand Design worked with LCI to warranty out the two-room slide valve/manifold. It arrived at the kids' house this week and I got it when we met them for a nature walk, bike ride and picnic yesterday (nothing like an excuse to spend time with the grandkids!). After my second cup of coffee this morning (late morning), I put things away so I could bring in the slides and made a comfortable place to sit in the front compartment.

As advised by LCI Customer Support, there was minimal fluid loss when disconnecting the hydraulic lines - they're not under pressure when the slides are in. The rags I stuffed under the manifold caught the few tablespoons that dripped when I loosened the first of three lines. The touchiest part of the whole deal was removing the cheesy little press-fit plastic thumb knobs from the manual valve stems to mount the unit through the aluminum plate. I didn't keep track of time, but I was finished in time to put the slides back out to have a late lunch.

Rob
          Rob & Laura
          U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
          Full time since 08/2015

Comment

Working...
          X