2021 321BH SLide Out Topper Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2021 321BH SLide Out Topper Question

Hello, I am looking at installing a slide topper on my 2021 321BH. I am looking at the Solera Slide Topper for the unit. I have watched several installation videos and my question is, does the gutter rail on that side support the awning (slide the awning through the rail where the slide out is) or do I need to install the awning bracket that comes with the slide out awning kit above the slide out? Thanks

Originally posted by grandcamper2021 View Post
    Hello, I am looking at installing a slide topper on my 2021 321BH. I am looking at the Solera Slide Topper for the unit. I have watched several installation videos and my question is, does the gutter rail on that side support the awning (slide the awning through the rail where the slide out is) or do I need to install the awning bracket that comes with the slide out awning kit above the slide out? Thanks
    The gutter rail that is attached from the factory is generally what dealers and owners use to install slide toppers. There is a backing installed inside the wall structure at that position. Adding another rail above or below you might not get to the backing material and could have problems with the rail departing the side wall of the RV.

Welcome to the Forum , here is a letter if you have not read it already Welcome Letter to New Members - Grand Design Owners Forums (gdrvowners.com).

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post

The gutter rail that is attached from the factory is generally what dealers and owners use to install slide toppers. There is a backing installed inside the wall structure at that position. Adding another rail above or below you might not get to the backing material and could have problems with the rail departing the side wall of the RV.

Welcome to the Forum , here is a letter if you have not read it already Welcome Letter to New Members - Grand Design Owners Forums (gdrvowners.com).

Brian
      Brian - can this backing plate be located to determine the dimensions of it using magnets or stud finder or ?

Dan
      Dan & Carol
      2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
      2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

Originally posted by Canyonlight View Post

Brian - can this backing plate be located to determine the dimensions of it using magnets or stud finder or ?

Dan
        I am not sure if a magnet will find the backer , called an EGS , which is a galvanized steel sheet metal thin plate that is sandwiched between the out fiberglass layer and the wall frame work. It is also possible that there is part of the frame work that is located in the same area which would be aluminum , which a magnet does not stick to. A stud finder may work also on a cool damp morning the dew does not collect on the side walls where there is aluminum structure , if you live in these types of conditions.

Brian
        Brian & Michelle
        2018 Reflection 29RS
        2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Brian
          Thanks Brian. Appreciate the reply. That makes sense as the slide is pretty close to the bottom of the gutter rail. So I guess I can just slide the awning in through the existing rail, install the brackets on the corners of the slide out and should be go to go. This would mean that I do not have to install the rail that comes with the topper kit correct?

Comment

Thanks Brian. Appreciate the reply. That makes sense as the slide is pretty close to the bottom of the gutter rail. So I guess I can just slide the awning in through the existing rail, install the brackets on the corners of the slide out and should be go to go. This would mean that I do not have to install the rail that comes with the topper kit correct?
            Trying to watch some videos to get the right view of the slide and the rail you are questioning. It looks like the only rail is the one that attaches to the edge of the roof and has the gutter built in. I thought that the unit had a separate rail mounted on the side. I am not sure if it is ok to mount the slide topper to the gutter rail. I believe that the awning is attached to the same rail on the opposite side. You may want to give your dealer or GD Customer Service a call and see if it is ok to mount the slide topper to that rail. I would hate to give you the wrong info. Please let us know what you find out.

Brian
            Brian & Michelle
            2018 Reflection 29RS
            2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Trying to watch some videos to get the right view of the slide and the rail you are questioning. It looks like the only rail is the one that attaches to the edge of the roof and has the gutter built in. I thought that the unit had a separate rail mounted on the side. I am not sure if it is ok to mount the slide topper to the gutter rail. I believe that the awning is attached to the same rail on the opposite side. You may want to give your dealer or GD Customer Service a call and see if it is ok to mount the slide topper to that rail. I would hate to give you the wrong info. Please let us know what you find out.

Brian
              Thanks. I will. I need to measure from the bottom of the rail to the top of the slide. If I have at least 3 inches I can use the awning rail that comes with the kit. I will keep you posted. Thanks again.

Comment

Thanks. I will. I need to measure from the bottom of the rail to the top of the slide. If I have at least 3 inches I can use the awning rail that comes with the kit. I will keep you posted. Thanks again.
                Not sure if this will help, but I documented the install on my 315RLTS here: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/exterio...all-19-315rlts
                Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Not sure if this will help, but I documented the install on my 315RLTS here: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/exterio...all-19-315rlts
                  Thanks. I'll take a look.

Comment

The curb side slide has limited space on the hitch end.. Awning arm is there. Slide awning dealers recommend you add 3" to each end for installion size. The gutter/awning rail does not allow for this additional 3". it extends only 1" past slide. The front trim of the slide extends extends 2 more inches. Do I add 6", or only 4" to the size Ill order. The other two slides (road side) have sufficient gutter/rail length.

Comment

Working...
                    X