Slideout Rubber Seals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slideout Rubber Seals

Just looking for opinions here. I seem to have been inundated with commercials lately on the 3 n 1 products for slide lube and protectant. I have always used baby powder in an old sock and wiped down my seals, and have had no problems. But, I am intrigued by the 3 n 1 product claims of UV protection and lubricating properties. Does anyone else use these products? Pros, Cons?
    As far as lubrication goes, does anyone lube their Schwintek tracks? I seem to recall Lippert saying don't do this.
    Brady & Steph
    2019 Momentum 351m FBP
    2019 F350 DRW Long Bed B&W Companion
    *SOLD* 2015 Reflection 308BHTS TT
    *SOLD* 2011 F350 SRW Long Bed

At the rally in Tennessee this year JD said to use the baby powder and sock for seals. For slide mechanisms and everything else he said CRC Power Lube.
    Kay & Dave - Virginia Beach, VA
    Golden Retriever Molly - Been swimming in 28 states
    2019 Solitude 310GK
    2019 GMC Denali CC/LB SRW
    Previous rig: 2014 Reflection 303RLS #314 and 2008 Silverado 2500 D/A

Comment

Attached link to LCI support center with video on what and how to lubricate on the schwintek unit. The tracks are not to be lubricated just the two areas referenced:
      https://support.lci1.com/in-wall-slide-out

X2 on using baby powder on the rubber swipe seals. I also put a little dusting on the bulb seals to prevent sticking. I use a swifter duster rather than a sock as noted in the attached pictures:
      Click image for larger version

Name:	20160803_112029.jpg
Views:	1535
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	480
      Dan & Carol
      2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
      2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

I wipe down all rubber seals and wipers with 303 Protectant. Four and a half years and they seem to be holding up very well. (soft and supple)
        Jim (& Sharon)
        2015 GD Momentum 385TH w/ Joy Rider shocks, Sailun 637s & 3" Garage extension, LifeBlue Lithium.
        2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
        The toys:
        2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE
        2018 Fiat Abarth Cabrio

Comment

At a Lippert Tech Seminar at an Elkhart Rally a few years ago, we were told not to use anything on the rubber seals. The reason was that the material used for these seals contains a waxy substance to keep the seals from sticking to surfaces. Talc will stick to this wax and gum things up. Spray lubricants or UV protectants will dissolve this wax. I have not used anything on my seals and they still seem to be sliding properly.

Rob
          Cate & Rob
          (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
          2015 Reflection 303RLS
          2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I like the swiffer idea for applying the baby powder (Thanks Dan)

Like I said, no problems in all my years just using the baby powder, but with all of the commercials touting 3 n 1, I thought I would ask.

Brady & Steph
            2019 Momentum 351m FBP
            2019 F350 DRW Long Bed B&W Companion
            *SOLD* 2015 Reflection 308BHTS TT
            *SOLD* 2011 F350 SRW Long Bed

Comment

Name:	B85A9AEA-EE2D-40D9-AD85-75416A15927D.jpeg
Views:	1594
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	487I use this once or twice a year, and all is good. Rubber very pliable.
              Steve, Sue, and pups Sky & Sierra
              2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
              2017 F350 CC, LB, 4x4, 6.7 Blue Ox WD

Comment

CRC Power Lube with PTFE is the only lubricant that LCI recommends for the schwintek slide out mechanisms.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...5D6E&FORM=VIRE

Comment

Originally posted by Steve7 View Post

Name:	B85A9AEA-EE2D-40D9-AD85-75416A15927D.jpeg
Views:	1594
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	487I use this once or twice a year, and all is good. Rubber very pliable.
                  I used that product once too, about six months ago. No obvious negative effects but warnings above suggest that I shouldn't use the rest of the can? Can the wax layer on the seals be restored somehow?
                  Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - Ford F-350 SRW diesel short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Comment

Originally posted by boyscout View Post

I used that product once too, about six months ago. No obvious negative effects but warnings above suggest that I shouldn't use the rest of the can? Can the wax layer on the seals be restored somehow?
                    I had never heard that warning before. I’ve used it several times and the rubber feels great.
                    Steve, Sue, and pups Sky & Sierra
                    2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
                    2017 F350 CC, LB, 4x4, 6.7 Blue Ox WD

Comment

• slauretani
                      slauretani commented
                      Editing a comment
                      We just got back from the Elkhart rally and we were told in two different seminars, Not to use anything on the slides.

A little different question on this thread. My wife and I are still fairly new at being a RV owners and I wanted to ask if it's possible for us to replace the inner slide-out seal ourselves or if this is an item that a RV Dealer Tech needs to complete. We have a 2018 Imagine 2950RL and one of the side seals on the dinette table side has torn at the top. So far I have used some black tape to keep it from tearing further. Suggestions or opinions? And thanks ahead of time.

Comment

Originally posted by DanielOK24 View Post
                      A little different question on this thread. My wife and I are still fairly new at being a RV owners and I wanted to ask if it's possible for us to replace the inner slide-out seal ourselves or if this is an item that a RV Dealer Tech needs to complete. We have a 2018 Imagine 2950RL and one of the side seals on the dinette table side has torn at the top. So far I have used some black tape to keep it from tearing further. Suggestions or opinions? And thanks ahead of time.
                      I don't know for sure that your 2950RL has the same seals as my 315RLTS, but this thread may help answer your question: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/exterio...ard-to-replace
                      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Thanks! I’ll take a look at that link.

Comment

Working...
                        X