Schwintek slide stuck out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Schwintek slide stuck out

2021 Reflection 260RL. Schwintek slide would not come in this morning. One side moving, the other wont. I Heard a Couple pops yesterday but the slide came in OK. Arrived at our campground and ig went out with no problem. Went to bring it in this morning, heard a Couple of pops and it moves 6-8 inches on one side but only an inch or so on the other. Talked to GD tech and went through all of the syncing and troubleshooting to no avail. Disconnected the motors at the controller and had a couple guys help push but it wont budge. Sitting in a RV park in Fort Stockton Texas trying to get a mobile tech to come out but its now late Friday afternoon. Any thoughts, ideas, help, is greatly appreciated.

Pjoe I have never had to do this, but have read a few stories over the years. All I can offer you is that everyone says it takes a ton of pushing to get them to move manually. d2reid Has replaced a few motors on his, hopefully he will see this and weigh in on how the manual process works.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
    2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
    2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

You need to remove the motor in order to push the slide in...then you must secure the slide during travel....see link below.

Schwintek-In-Wall-Troubleshooting-Guide.pdf (granddesignrv.com)
      2014 HDT Volvo 780 "Baby Bird"
      2016 Smart Car "Baby Bird Turd" - on the back
      2020 Momentum 376THS
      We're both proud USAF Retirees...
      Retired RV Tech

Comment

You probably already have this resolved. Out is better than in. On the side that has the offending motor, remove the top 6-10 inches of the bulb seal on the outside. You will see a phillips head screw, this is the "set" screw that keeps the motor form sliding up. Remove the screw, now work at it until you can get several inches of clearance to the motor from the inside. Remove the seal from the inside. When you find the motor you can just lift it out to remove it. At some point you need to put the control panel into manual mode. Then you can use the controller to control the slide. Obviously the side without a motor will not move by itself. But, you no longer have to override the force of the motor. So it slides easier, not easy, easier.

Sounds simple huh! It's not, it's very frustrating. Even though I have been through it a couple of times and understand the process it's not one that I would do myself unless that is the only choice, been there, done that, got the T-shirt. Even a mobile tech will be thankful for some extra help pushing the slide. It's a bear. There are several parameters that come into play, is the motor completely dead, is the slide dragging on something, do you have the 50 - 80 amp breaker problem, etc.

What makes the side so difficult to move without the motor is the 50-1 (in mine) gear ratio of the motor. If you ever get one in your hands it's fun to put some big plier on the gear and try to rotate it. The little motor goes round and round a lot for just a little gear movement. Now place this resistance in the channel grooves and add the weight of the slide and it is very difficult to move, plus, you cannot move it any faster than the motor will turn, which is pretty slow manually. Best if you can get the motor out.

Lots of you tube stuff out there for DIY. Just be sure to have some bulb seal sealant on hand before you start. I used black silicone. Not ideal, but worked in a pinch.

Ok, just because life is a lot fun here is a funny story of one of my first slide motor failures. Slide would not go in. One side would move the other wouldn't. Found the instructions for putting the controller into manual mode, made no difference. Went inside and grabbed the offending edge while DW operated the slide controller. One side moved, the other didn't. Do be careful not to grab a handful of trim, it never quite looks the same after you try to staple it back on after pulling it off. Grrrr! So I go outside and pull the truck up next the slide, crawl in the bed and tell DW to slide while I pushed. I couldn't get enough force behind it. Grrrr! So back the truck up some till the cab of the truck was next to the slide, now I am even with the slide when I crawl up on the cab. Careful not to put my foot through a window I stand on the edge of the cab and get my shoulder and head stuck up against the slide to push. I had flashbacks to my days of football practice in high school when the coach would get up on the blocking sled and tell us to push the sled.

With straining and groaning and DW operating the good motor we managed to get the slide in. I had to reposition the truck every few inches to get enough leg/back power behind the push to move the slide. I am not a tiny fellow. More troll than fairy. We leave it in while we are traveling. When I finally find someone to do the repair the first thing he says is we need to push that slide out about 6". I nearly fainted remembering the effort it took to get it pushed in. Fortunately out is better because you don't have to stand on your truck, and there were two of us.

2017 Momentum 376, 2019 Ford F450
        2022 Triumph Scrambler Motorcycle
        E-bikes, Hobi Pedal Kayaks
        Kota the dog and KC the Kitty Cat

Comment

d2reid -- you wrote, What makes the side so difficult to move without the motor is the 50-1 (in mine) gear ratio of the motor.

it's actually 500:1! Most GDRVs have the 300:1 motor.

Click image for larger version

Name:	motors.JPG
Views:	3221
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	48056

Got a good chuckle from your post this morning....More troll than fairy.

Howard
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Once the OPs slide is fixed, he may want to invest in a couple slide locks. I use these fully adjustable models for the sliding doors while traveling and to lock the schwintek slides should I need to disconnect a failed motor.

https://www.amazon.com/RV-SLIDE-OUT-...omotive&sr=1-3

Jim

Comment

Guest ,
              Yet another topic I dont' know much about (I've never had to use them or seen them used).

Stumbled across the video below on YouTube. What do you think?

RV Slide lock upgrade. Easiest lock to use. DIY

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
                Guest ,
                Yet another topic I dont' know much about (I've never had to use them or seen them used).

Stumbled across the video below on YouTube. What do you think?

RV Slide lock upgrade. Easiest lock to use. DIY
                Howard,

This fellow was creative and his method would work but I have had no issue with the standard models at the floor of the bathroom and bedroom doors to lock for travel. I would not have an issue to use on the slides but would only do this if the motor was removed during a failure of the schwintek slide. I locate the slide lock in the door jamb and overlap it to catch the door should the plastic strap break or if I would forget to latch it. I did this once and had to reattach the door to its brackets. The slide locks are far more obvious if they are missing from the floor.

To buy the standard lock, measure the door openings and also the top of the slide while its retracted to be sure these measurements fall into the slide lock range of use.

Jim

Comment

Guest ,
                  Yikes...I guess installing a RBF streamer to the lock or near the Convenience Center power switch is required as I'd forget, too.

Click image for larger version

Name:	remove.JPG
Views:	3224
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	48075

Comment

Great idea and would also would work well for the older antennas. As I age, I may need these all over the rig.

I believe I left the door strap off the one time, but we were also traveling on some rough back country PA roads. Brian's territory.

Jim

Comment

My In-Laws RV (different manufacturer) have those slide locks from the factory that need to be put in place for travel, and included with them is a RBF type reminder tag on the lock. Just a heads-up though for anyone that is not aware, but also in their RV for the lock is a large red sticker on the exterior wall saying to 'place lock here'. IE, they indicate where there is additional frame support in the wall to accept the pressure from the slide lock, such that the lock won't punch through the wall panel. Careful placement is key I guess
                      2019 Imagine 2400BH
                      2019 F150 XLT Super Crew, EcoBoost, 6.5' box, Max tow package with 3.55 ratio

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

it's actually 500:1! Most GDRVs have the 300:1 motor.

Howard

Thanks Howard. I wrote from memory, look where that ended up. What gives those little motors the power to move the slides also makes it difficult to move the slides without the power. Think about it, that little motor has to around and around 500 times for one rotation of the gear. If we do Pi R round and the gear is 1 inch across to get one inch of slide travel you have to force the motor 750 revolutions. Ok, I made all that math up. Being functionally illiterate has some advantages, rather than being exact about the foot pounds of pressure required to move the slide I get to say things like; "That slide is darn hard to push".

And just so you know, hitting it with a hammer doesn't work...
                        2017 Momentum 376, 2019 Ford F450
                        2022 Triumph Scrambler Motorcycle
                        E-bikes, Hobi Pedal Kayaks
                        Kota the dog and KC the Kitty Cat

Comment

UPDATE:
                          Mbile tech came to the middle of nowhere Texas and after two hours, we had the slide pushed in so we could move the RV. He basically had to dismantle the mechanism on one side before the slide would move. Both top and bottom gear boxes were broken. Since we cant access the bedroom or bath with the slide in, we high tailed it toward our lot in Michigan and dropped the trailer at Allegiant RV in Middlebury Indiana for repairs as the service center was too busy. Long driving days but the trailer is in a good place and so are we. Thanks for all the input.

Comment

Just got my 2970 Imagine back from the repair shop. Had to pull it 165 km with the slide stuck halfway out. Bill: $1820.25

Comment

Forgot to mention, it’s a 2018 and I’ve had the slide out maybe a dozen times.

Comment

Working...
                              X