Slide out trim exposed floor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slide out trim exposed floor

This week I resealed all trim and openings as part of my pre trip checklist. I discovered the kitchen slide front had the bottom trim piece looking strange. You can see the vinyl L channel does not tuck in behind the trim. The floor seems like it has dropped some in this area. Floor is solid from my inspection in this area.

My thought is to remove the strip and further inspect, put a strip of eternabond or duct tape to wrap the edge. Then reattach the trim and vinyl L piece. Obviously silicone seal (I use the Trempro 645 GD uses) all screws and edges.

I also thought about putting a bit of pressure under the floor that is sagging with my bottle jack to see if I can get it to go back up. Just trying to mitigate damage until at end of trip in September when I can take to dealer

Attached Files
    Vivian
    2018 Reflection 303rls
    Ford F-350 diesel long bed 4 x 4 SRW
    Demco Recon

After watching a few videos on what a slide out ski is and how it is installed, it is obvious GD did not use one with a lip that fits behind trim. I really don’t think it has anything to do with floor just a botched install. What do you guys think?

https://youtu.be/2SrQ2xIMxds
    Vivian
    2018 Reflection 303rls
    Demco Recon

Comment

Beachcamper ,
      Good morning, Vivian.

Thanks for the link to that video. New info for me and now I know what broke (slide ski) on the rear side of my dinette slide. Now I have yet another "To Do" on my repair list.

For your situation, I'm not sure I'd take it apart while on the road. A temp seal--even the "duct tape diverter" shown in video--will work temporarily. Once home or in a spot where there's help nearby (and with supplies on hand) it doesn't look like a terribly hard repair.

Two things about the video. 1) Using a power tool to reinstall screws on an RV...not a fan. Maybe with the torque on a drill set to it's lightest setting and then hand-tightening by feel is best IMO; 2) as I learned from Cate&Rob , dip the screws in the RV Pro Flex (or silicone of your choice) to seal the threads prior to re-installation.

Please follow up with how it goes--I'll be tackling this myself at some point in the future.

Howard

P.S. I just checked my 315RLTS. The bedroom Schwintek slide has an "L" aluminum(?) channel along the bottom edge that's completely different from the "slide ski". Both the kitchen and dinette slide-outs have the skis installed.
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Beachcamper
        Hi Vivian,

Good observation and good video link! (better "repair" video than most . . . definitely worth watching)

The deformed plastic trim in your picture (post 1) looks to be a beat up slide ski as is being installed in the video. It does wrap around the corner and up the wall . . . just not very far up the wall. I have seen this same problem with the "ski" pulling loose from under the trim strip on the aft end of the curb side slide on my 303RLS. Since our slides have skis, the original one is going to have to be removed before installing a new one. Note that on Grand Design products, this ski travels (or slides) over vinyl flooring, not carpet as in the linked video. This is where I currently use "Slide Slickers" to prevent vinyl floor damage.

This is definitely a repair/upgrade now on my list of things to do, because I know that the slide skis on mine are well worn.

Thanks for the post and I will be interested to learn how your ski replacement goes.

Rob
        Cate & Rob
        (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
        2015 Reflection 303RLS
        2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Just a note regarding the slide ski used by grand design. Remember my entire slide box was re-done last summer at the service center so I would like them to redo it. I’m going on a six month trip so I’m to not going to be happy about having to use duct tape along the way.

I saw another video and that one showed a lip on the slide ski to be about the same thickness as the one grand design used. I do prefer that the lip go under the trim as in the video link that is more expensive ski and I think well worth the money if you are replacing yours.
          Vivian
          2018 Reflection 303rls
          Demco Recon

Comment

Vivian

I do recall that you had your slide box rebuilt at GD Customer Service. I hope that you have forwarded pics of this to them so they have this documented.

Brian
            Brian & Michelle
            2018 Reflection 29RS
            2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
              Vivian

I do recall that you had your slide box rebuilt at GD Customer Service. I hope that you have forwarded pics of this to them so they have this documented.

Brian
              Oh yes I have!! It really is disappointing that I have yet another summer that I have to deal with this slide out.

Here is an interesting observation and I now know it has to do with the roller on the edge of the box. Notice how there is an indentation on the ski and that is the force that has pulled the lip out of the trim.

Click image for larger version

Name:	401D2148-CA29-44DE-9D87-F6C0F1632669.jpeg
Views:	1802
Size:	168.5 KB
ID:	48287

Click image for larger version

Name:	269A5847-FE7D-4971-A6D7-F622FB6673BB.jpeg
Views:	1580
Size:	150.7 KB
ID:	48288

Vivian
              2018 Reflection 303rls
              Demco Recon

Comment

Beachcamper Looks like that roller is extruding the plastic in the slide ski.

As for the drop, I would be concerned that the screws into the edge of the plywood is causing the plywood to "de laminate". If this is the case, it may feel solid from both sides, but there is a void between the layers. To check this theory the bottom is most likely still flat (nature of the loading) while the top will have a ramp at the edge where de lamination is occurring.
                Joseph
                Tow
                Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                South of Houston Texas

Comment

[QUOTE=Beachcamper;n48286]

Oh yes I have!! It really is disappointing that I have yet another summer that I have to deal with this slide out.

Here is an interesting observation and I now know it has to do with the roller on the edge of the box. Notice how there is an indentation on the ski and that is the force that has pulled the lip out of the trim.

Hi Vivian,
                  Just catching up to this, then did a quick trip out to my 303, since both of our units had the slide repair very close together.
                  Both ends of my slide, the rollers installed by GD, do not ride on this "ski". They both are just off the ski by maybe 1/4".

This weekend, I plan on pulling the trailer out to air it out, etc as it is going towards 70 temp, finally. I will try and get a picture of each end for you of the ski's and roller's.

Steve
                  2018 Reflection 303
                  2023 F350 Lariat, 4 x 4 CCSB.
                  Diesel, Star White.

Comment

[QUOTE=Superduty;n48303]
                    Originally posted by Beachcamper View Post

Hi Vivian,
                    Just catching up to this, then did a quick trip out to my 303, since both of our units had the slide repair very close together.
                    Both ends of my slide, the rollers installed by GD, do not ride on this "ski". They both are just off the ski by maybe 1/4".

This weekend, I plan on pulling the trailer out to air it out, etc as it is going towards 70 temp, finally. I will try and get a picture of each end for you of the ski's and roller's.

Keep an eye on this Steve as you can see, they used same ski style on yours too as we had both our rigs there within a week of each other’s. I sent pics of all this and have a case number to GD. When I hear back, will let you all know what they reply with.

@Jlawless2 your observation is noted and will see if GD agrees.
                    Vivian
                    2018 Reflection 303rls
                    Demco Recon

Comment

[QUOTE=Beachcamper;n48305][QUOTE=Superduty;n48303]

Keep an eye on this Steve as you can see, they used same ski style on yours too as we had both our rigs there within a week of each other’s. I sent pics of all this and have a case number to GD. When I hear back, will let you all know what they reply with.

Ok Vivian,
                      I will investigate mine more this weekend also.
                      Steve
                      2018 Reflection 303
                      Diesel, Star White.

Comment

Originally posted by Superduty View Post
                        Rollers under the curb side (dining table & recliners) were definitely not there originally. This slide moves plastic-to-plastic to keep the slide as close to the interior floor level as possible. See attached picture of the floor rail before the slide box is installed. The rollers that you guys now have, must have been part of your slide rebuild service work. My slide scrapes this fixed plastic rail at various points across its length as it moves in or out. There are witness marks to this on the underside of the slide. Do you have other rollers across the width of this slide, like the kitchen slide . . . or just rollers at each end?

Rob

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0798.jpg Views:	0 Size:	81.0 KB ID:	48376
                        Last edited by Cate&Rob; 03-31-2021, 06:52 AM.
                        Cate & Rob
                        2015 Reflection 303RLS
                        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

[QUOTE=Cate&Rob;n48375]

Rollers under the curb side (dining table & recliners) were definitely not there originally. This slide moves plastic-to-plastic to keep the slide as close to the interior floor level as possible. See attached picture of the floor rail before the slide box is installed. The rollers that you guys now have, must have been part of your slide rebuild service work. My slide scrapes this fixed plastic rail at various points across its length as it moves in or out. There are witness marks to this on the underside of the slide. Do you have other rollers across the width of this slide, like the kitchen slide . . . or just rollers at each end?

Rob

Hi Rob,
                          On my reply above, I was only looking at the street side slide, as that is the only repair I had done at GD. If I remember correctly, they pulled both of Vivian's slide's out due to a floor issue.
                          My curb side slide (dinette) does not have rollers. I just looked to be sure. It ride on the plastic, just like your picture .

The rollers on my street side slide appear to be mounted inward more from what Vivian has by her picture and what I seen. on mine. My rollers (both ends of the street slide) do not ride on the "Sk"i" at all. I wonder why there is a difference on how they install the rollers? I would think, this would be a procedure on where to mount the outer rollers. When I get a chance, I will measure how far in the rollers are mounted and try to get a good picture. I do know, they do not ride on or touch the plastic ski's on both ends of the slide.

Steve.

Steve
                          2018 Reflection 303
                          Diesel, Star White.

Comment

Beachcamper Superduty

My misunderstanding on this! I was thinking curbside slide because this is where I have seen the ski pulled back from the corner on my 303, just like what is shown in the linked video of SOB. I will have to take a look to see how the rollers and corner moldings (skis) interact on the kitchen slide . . .

Rob
                            Cate & Rob
                            2015 Reflection 303RLS
                            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Beachcamper Vivian, don't know if GD will say anything about de lamination of the floor (these are probably curse words in the industry). This is my biggest fear when it comes to how things are built from plywood, MDF, and particle boards (OSB).
                              Joseph
                              Tow
                              Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                              Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                              South of Houston Texas

Comment

Working...
                              X