Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Superduty

Hi Steve,

I did use "plexiglass" in the generic sense of the word. Something less likely to shatter (like polycarbonate/Lexan) would be a better choice.

The picture attached to post 5 of this similar discussion https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...aring-flooring shows where I place the two Slide Slicker strips aligned with two of the travelling rollers. There are 5 travelling rollers in total and these have been there since the trailer was built. The other rollers never touch the vinyl flooring throughout their entire travel. When new, I don't think the ones where I now use the strips, touched the floor either.

The slide has bowed over the years (as reported by others) but not enough to tear it apart to try and replace the floor of the box . . . particularly when I learn of other problems created by this repair. To do it right, the slide box should have aluminum structure in the walls between the pantry and the stove and between the stove and the fridge, tying back the the outside wall, to support the significant weight carried by this slide.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I don't know how the kitchen or sofa slides survive with the floor. If I were to design it, the floor would be all AL tubing construction like the walls so it has some strength.

Our last unit, GF has bad habit of twitching / rocking her foot, and the whole slide floor would get in rhythm making me worry that the floor was going to pull off the wall. I don't know how the floor to wall is connected, but I think the floor was only 3/8" thick plywood because it was quite springy with lots of deflection when loaded.
      Joseph
      Tow
      Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
      Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
      South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
        Superduty

Hi Steve,

I did use "plexiglass" in the generic sense of the word. Something less likely to shatter (like polycarbonate/Lexan) would be a better choice.

The picture attached to post 5 of this similar discussion https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...aring-flooring shows where I place the two Slide Slicker strips aligned with two of the travelling rollers. There are 5 travelling rollers in total and these have been there since the trailer was built. The other rollers never touch the vinyl flooring throughout their entire travel. When new, I don't think the ones where I now use the strips, touched the floor either.

The slide has bowed over the years.

Rob
        Rob,
        Thanks for the information.
        It is interesting that on my 18, 303 I only had 4 rollers on the frame on the street slide to start, and zero on the floor of the slide.
        They went of course to the “wood sliders” that did the damage to the floor. Where you place your Slide Slickers is the area that had damage my floor. I was trying to understand what the difference is between our 2 units.

I now have 6 frame rollers, and 4 rollers recessed into the front of the new floor board, which is at 1” thick.

Steve
        Steve
        2018 Reflection 303
        2023 F350 Lariat, 4 x 4 CCSB.
        Diesel, Star White.

Comment

Originally posted by Superduty View Post

I agree with you Vivian. I would of thought that the placement of the rollers would be the same mounting based on our trailers being the same and even more, repaired with in a week of each other.

To get the rollers off the ski’s, I can only see one way. Pull the slide as you have no access to do the repair otherwise.
          If you just replace the ski, I feel in a short time, you will get the same results you have today.
          maybe someone else with a 303 that had the floor repair done will chime in so we can get another repair measurement.

im really waiting to hear what GD says, or the way the repair this. They have came up with clever ideas before. A scuff in our wall done at the factory. They was going to replace the board, but added a trim piece, and it really made the wall look better. I will snap a picture for you in a couple days. Worse part, coming back to the service center again.
          Keep us informed of your progress. Feel free to send my picture to GD if it can help out.
          Steve, got an appointment for September at service center. Until then, they won’t tell me what the fix is or what the difference is on our roller spacing. The mystery continues....
          Vivian
          2018 Reflection 303rls
          Ford F-350 diesel long bed 4 x 4 SRW
          Demco Recon

Comment

Originally posted by Beachcamper View Post

Steve, got an appointment for September at service center. Until then, they won’t tell me what the fix is or what the difference is on our roller spacing. The mystery continues....
            Hi Vivian,
            Did they give you the appx amount of time they need you trailer for?

I'm sure you seen the post from Rob, where his rollers are like mine, off the ski's. Somehow I think your outer roller's just got placed to far outward during your major repair last year. Hopefully, some magic will happen and they can get this corrected without any major work (pulling the slide out).

Steve
            2018 Reflection 303
            Diesel, Star White.

Comment

They did not tell me anything about time frame. All she said was they had to take a look at it to assess the problem before anymore info could be provided. I suspect that they did not place the roller where it needed to be and it will have to be moved. How long that will that take? I suspect a day at the most but they would have to remove the slide to get to that roller.
              Vivian
              2018 Reflection 303rls
              Demco Recon

Comment

They did not tell me anything about time frame. All she said was they had to take a look at it to assess the problem before anymore info could be provided. I suspect that they did not place the roller where it needed to be and it will have to be moved. How long that will that take? I suspect a day at the most but they would have to remove the slide to get to that roller.
                Vivian,

Cate&Rob
                I have no idea to how long it takes to remove, and reset a slide back in. Maybe Rob has an idea. I tagged him.
                I would guess a 2 day stay possibly.

Steve
                2018 Reflection 303
                Diesel, Star White.

Comment

Vivian,

Cate&Rob
                  I have no idea to how long it takes to remove, and reset a slide back in. Maybe Rob has an idea. I tagged him.
                  I would guess a 2 day stay possibly.
                  Beachcamper

A lot depends on their "repair plan". Can they move the rollers on the underside of the current slide floor . . . or, do they have to start over on the slide floor replacement? It would be reasonable to ask the Service Center for a time estimate.

Rob
                  Cate & Rob
                  2015 Reflection 303RLS
                  Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Rob,
                    Thanks for the information.
                    It is interesting that on my 18, 303 I only had 4 rollers on the frame on the street slide to start, and zero on the floor of the slide.
                    They went of course to the “wood sliders” that did the damage to the floor. Where you place your Slide Slickers is the area that had damage my floor. I was trying to understand what the difference is between our 2 units.

I now have 6 frame rollers, and 4 rollers recessed into the front of the new floor board, which is at 1” thick.

Steve
                    Rob, I sent another request for repair time frame. You are correct, they should at least know course of action based on images I sent. The new repair on both Steve and my 303 kitchen slides have more rollers and the ski never makes contact with the floor, the box rides on white rollers which IMHO negates the need for plexiglass or slickers. Here is a video I took on how slide rests when open and clearance when closed.

https://vimeo.com/534861762

Last edited by Beachcamper; 04-09-2021, 08:03 AM.
                    Vivian
                    2018 Reflection 303rls
                    Demco Recon

Comment

the box rides on white rollers which IMHO negates the need for plexiglass or slickers.
                      Hi Vivian,

It is the two centre "travelling" rollers attached to the slide box that make contact with the vinyl floor at about mid travel and were causing the indentations that I use the slide slickers to prevent. These rollers are the white ones with a softer grey cover (left in the picture) I do not think that there rollers made contact, or if they did it was light contact, when the slide was new. Over time, the slide box has bowed down in the centre and these rollers make heavier contact. When the slide is fully out or fully in, these travelling rollers are not in contact with anything.

The corner skis do not make contact with the floor on the kitchen slide, but they do on the dining/recliners slide which does not have any rollers.

Rob

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3830.jpg Views:	0 Size:	76.3 KB ID:	49855
                      Cate & Rob
                      2015 Reflection 303RLS
                      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Rob, the center of my kitchen slide box is off the floor at the middle by an inch, it never touches the floor along the entire span. It is because of the heavier floor they replaced stock with and 2 extra rollers they added. However, before this fix the box bowed in the center just like you describe until it got so bad the floor was crowned from the rubbing in that center area. No slickers or plexiglass helped in my situation.
                        Vivian
                        2018 Reflection 303rls
                        Demco Recon

Comment

It’s September and I am here at the Mothership to get the roller/ski issue resolved. Service rep is going to remove slide and reposition the rollers and will replace ski at both ends. Glad GD is such a wonderful company to deal with, they will make this right. Although I have been inconvenienced by having to come here twice, at least they are not making it difficult by denying service or fault.
                          Vivian
                          2018 Reflection 303rls
                          Demco Recon

Comment

Beachcamper (Vivian) -- finally(!) got around to replacing the broken slide ski on my dinette slide. The repair video made the process (relatively) easy--thank you!

The part that took the longest (as usual) was removing the old sealant. I had a heck of time reinstalling the sealant tape on the seam between the wall and floor. It's not pretty...but it's done. Obviously GD installs the tape with the slide out of the RV so it's easy for them.

The Slide Ski wasn't terribly hard to install, though it did require quite a bit of trimming to get it to fit "just right".

Howard

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
                              Beachcamper (Vivian) -- finally(!) got around to replacing the broken slide ski on my dinette slide. The repair video made the process (relatively) easy--thank you!

The part that took the longest (as usual) was removing the old sealant. I had a heck of time reinstalling the sealant tape on the seam between the wall and floor. It's not pretty...but it's done. Obviously GD installs the tape with the slide out of the RV so it's easy for them.

The Slide Ski wasn't terribly hard to install, though it did require quite a bit of trimming to get it to fit "just right".

Howard
                              I am so glad I was able to help with that video posting. Looks easy but it’s not as you found out. However, you have the patience to get it done right. What caused your ski to break?

Vivian
                              2018 Reflection 303rls
                              Demco Recon

Comment

What caused your ski to break?
                                That's a great question--I don't know. Begs the question did I fix the symptom or the problem? :(

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Working...
                                X