Cannot Access Slide Controller With Slides Closed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cannot Access Slide Controller With Slides Closed

On my Imagine 2950RL the slide controllers are behind a panel under the kitchen sink. My concern is that if there ever was an issue when the kitchen slide is in, I would not be able to get to the slide controllers to reset or disengage the motors. Also, with the slides in I wouldn’t be able to access the motors to either disengage or unplug them? The first step of troubleshooting a Schwintech slide is to access the controller so I don’t understand why they are in an inaccessible location.

Originally posted by Bluesro View Post
    On my Imagine 2950RL the slide controllers are behind a panel under the kitchen sink. My concern is that if there ever was an issue when the kitchen slide is in, I would not be able to get to the slide controllers to reset or disengage the motors. Also, with the slides in I wouldn’t be able to access the motors to either disengage or unplug them? The first step of troubleshooting a Schwintech slide is to access the controller so I don’t understand why they are in an inaccessible location.
    That is a head-scratcher. Looking at the floorplan, I'm not even sure where the controller can be moved unless there's room in the hutch? But that's not a simple task as there's wiring harness involved with the Schwintek.

As that was your first post, please check out the Welcome Letter to New Members at https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members

Also, consider posting an introductory post--are you a DIY type, count on a dealer or technician to service your trailer, or somewhere in between?

Howard

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

That is a head-scratcher. Looking at the floorplan, I'm not even sure where the controller can be moved unless there's room in the hutch? But that's not a simple task as there's wiring harness involved with the Schwintek.
      I would probably move the controllers to the closet in the bathroom or maybe under the sink in the bathroom. It would involve probably purchasing new harnesses. I didn't see any slack in the harness when looking under the unit.

I just don't want to move them, it's a nightmare to remove the underbelly. If there is any way to disable the motor while the slide is in from the outside, I'd rather wait and deal with it later IF it breaks.

Comment

What if you relocated the controller to the outside of the frame and put it in a waterproof enclosure? That would only require extending the power and control wires not the entire 2 harness system? You could even put the controller in the under belly with an access panel or setup to reach it i the case of a need.

Not certain of the controller size, but a box like this easy to access. https://www.amazon.com/LMioEtool-Dus...dDbGljaz10cnVl
        Joseph
        Tow
        Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
        Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
        South of Houston Texas

Comment

Bluesro ,
          If I was going to move the controller I'd put it behind the fireplace. There's a large empty space back there that's un-utilized if it's like my 315RLTS. But--getting the harness and power lines installed where the wires won't be an issue (since the slide moves) may be a challenge. I'd try to mimic what GD does with the coax and power wires for the television.

You may immediately think, "that doesn't help--I can't get to the fireplace, either, with the slides in". You can--if you add a small access door on the outside of the trailer where the controller can be accessed. The walls are luan and foam--cut a hole and add a small door. (Caution: you'd have to make sure you're not cutting into an aluminum frame.) Using a stud finder (or looking at the outside of the trailer on a cool morning when the frame is outlined by water condensation where the aluminum studs are) you can find the studs. This thread shows an example: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/exterio...a-cool-morning

Remember that any modification like this is not supported by Grand Design and any issues that may result as a result of a modification may impact warranty claims. That's a fancy way of saying if your trailer is under warranty, may be best to wait before doing anything drastic as moving the controller for something that may happen.

No matter how you look at this project, it is not a minor mod. Think long and hard before attempting.

Don't forget to check out that Welcome Letter! Lots of info to help you get the most from this forum in it.

Howard
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

Being as this is in the island I would mod the end of the island that is accessible when the slide is in to have access to the controllers. This also should not have to be done as the designers of this unit should have to come to your site and fix the slide when it is broken , sorry rant.

Brian
            Brian & Michelle
            2018 Reflection 29RS
            2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
              Being as this is in the island I would mod the end of the island that is accessible when the slide is in to have access to the controllers. This also should not have to be done as the designers of this unit should have to come to your site and fix the slide when it is broken , sorry rant.

Brian
              That's brilliant, Brian! Of course that's the answer--and a relatively simple one at that.

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post

Brian
                Won't work. First, the controllers are in the center of the the island, under the sink, with drawers flanking each side. There's no slack in the harness to even relocate the controllers in the island. If I need to purchase new harness I'm moving them to more sensible location. Anyways, unless you are a small child, there is no way into the kitchen of the RV with slides closed. This is typical to an RV with opposing slides.

Not worried about warranty, it's long expired.

Is there any way to open a Schwinteck slide without having access to the controller?

Comment

Won't work. First, the controllers are in the center of the the island, under the sink, with drawers flanking each side. There's no slack in the harness to even relocate the controllers in the island. If I need to purchase new harness I'm moving them to more sensible location. Anyways, unless you are a small child, there is no way into the kitchen of the RV with slides closed. This is typical to an RV with opposing slides.

Not worried about warranty, it's long expired.

Is there any way to open a Schwinteck slide without having access to the controller?
                  Not that I'm aware of--the harness to the motors comes off the controller.

Comment

Bluesro I would consider relocating the controller to the center of the slide and mounted on the outside of the frame. Unfortunately, by the time you get the slide in or out, you will be ready for a shower anyway.

Have you pulled the coroplast? I would not be surprised if there is extra wiring harness wrapped up and buried.

I read on here somewhere that someone had to pull the motor to get the slide to move due to damage in the drive. That may be an alternative, but its not an easy task from the way it reads.
                    Joseph
                    Tow
                    South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
                      Bluesro I would consider relocating the controller to the center of the slide and mounted on the outside of the frame. Unfortunately, by the time you get the slide in or out, you will be ready for a shower anyway.

Have you pulled the coroplast? I would not be surprised if there is extra wiring harness wrapped up and buried.

I read on here somewhere that someone had to pull the motor to get the slide to move due to damage in the drive. That may be an alternative, but its not an easy task from the way it reads.
                      Joseph, I just pulled one of my motors a few days ago and I took about 20 min to do. The problem is the slide has to be out about 5 inches to reach the set screw that is holding the motor. The stars aligned for me and the connection on the motor touched just enough to move it a few inches then stopped working altogether.
                      Brent, Krista, and our 6 year old nugget
                      Cruising with two Black Labs, Lestat and Pandora
                      2021 Ram 3500 Dually Long Bed 4X4 HO Cummins (Blue Sapphire)
                      2021 Imagine 3110BH (The Dog House)

Comment

You can reset codes by hitting the extend button two quick times. Kill all power to the rig and with half the folks (actually a couple) in the campground or the dealership pushing, you can move the slide. The only thing this method does not accomplish is to be able to perform the override which has come in handy for me or to read the codes. Not ideal.
                        Seems a nicely done access panel would be a simple solution but some may not want to look at an access panel.

Jim

Comment

Guest Jim, Back to the original issue, if slide is closed it's not possible to reach the controller as the slide blocks the access to the area under the sink where they chose to hide the controller.

The controller needs to be relocated. Ideal place is somewhere both out of the weather and accessible when the slide is open or closed.
                          Joseph
                          Tow
                          South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
                            Guest Jim, Back to the original issue, if slide is closed it's not possible to reach the controller as the slide blocks the access to the area under the sink where they chose to hide the controller.

The controller needs to be relocated. Ideal place is somewhere both out of the weather and accessible when the slide is open or closed.
                            Joseph,

I understand the issue. You can remove power from the rig and push out the slide with enough people and force. I have doubts that there is an electronic brake on these slides but rather the resistance from a 300:1 or 500:1 ratio that keeps them in position. But I would still pull power (disconnect from pedestal, solar and battery) before getting the neighborhood together to push the slide out, just in case there really is a brake function.

So I would not relocate the controllers since the issue in not getting to them would only be if the slide was stuck closed.

Jim
                            Last edited by Guest; 05-24-2021, 11:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post

Joseph,

I understand the issue. You can remove power from the rig and push out the slide with enough people and force. I have doubts that there is an electronic brake on these slides but rather the resistance from a 300:1 or 500:1 ratio that keeps them in position. But I would still pull power (disconnect from pedestal, solar and battery) before getting the neighborhood together to push the slide out, just in case there really is a brake function.

So I would not relocate the controllers since the issue in not getting to them would only be if the slide was stuck closed.

Jim
                              Jim - Bluesro's Imagine 2950 has basically the same general floor plan configuration as my Reflection 297RSTS. On my 297, If the door side slide is stuck in the "in" position, It is impossible to squeeze between the slide out and the hutch. So getting a team of people inside to push it open would be very difficult. The only option I can imagine is to remove the back window (or break in) in order to get inside the coach. And once inside, you still can't access the controller due to it's location in the island. So the pushing team would all need to crawl in too. Then some of them would have to crawl over the island to get to the other end of the slide wall. I don't think it would be feasible to try and pull the slide out.

If it were me, I'd move the controller also if I was planning on keeping the RV.

Jim
                              Jim and Ginnie
                              2024 Solitude 310GK
                              GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                              GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Working...
                              X