Slide Out Won't Slide Out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slide Out Won't Slide Out

I have a 2021 22MLE. The slide started to act up where it would only slide out a little and retracting seemed really slow. My manual says there is a manual operation via a 1" round slideout override access hole in the skirt metal on the opposite side (of the RV) from the room that I am moving. I don't have that hole. Any other way to manual override the slide mechanism?
    John and Lori
    2018 F150 XLT SCAB 2.7l
    2021 Imagine 22MLE

Originally posted by JHC View Post
    I have a 2021 22MLE. The slide started to act up where it would only slide out a little and retracting seemed really slow. My manual says there is a manual operation via a 1" round slideout override access hole in the skirt metal on the opposite side (of the RV) from the room that I am moving. I don't have that hole. Any other way to manual override the slide mechanism?
    Look along the frame rail opposite the slide for a hex stub sticking out , this will be the manual attachment for the slide, 3/4" socket and also the stabilizer jack wrench will fit this. It is possible that they did not punch the hole in the skirting for this. This is also if you have the thru frame slide and not the schwintek slide , if you have 2 aluminum rails on each end of the slide box you will have the schwintek version and there will not be a manual attachment at the frame rail mentioned above.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

I just watched a video walk around and you do not have the thru frame slide. In order for the Schwintek slide to work properly you will need to have a fully charged battery or partially charged and hooked to shore power. Battery power is key for proper slide operation. If that is not the case then you may have another issue.

Brian
      Brian & Michelle
      2018 Reflection 29RS
      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

I must have the Schwintek slide as I have 2 aluminum rails on each end of the slide box. On shore power so it's an issue with the slide itself. Really bummed. 5 - 6 weeks before the dealer can even look at it. Bumping up against 1 year so it's under warranty.
        John and Lori
        2018 F150 XLT SCAB 2.7l
        2021 Imagine 22MLE

Comment

For the Schwintek there is an override procedure in your manual that describes how many times to push the button on the controller then to operate the slide from the main panel. Care must be taken that the slide is not operating crooked where damage can occur if the slide is not running in unison. By performing the bypass procedure, you are essentially bypassing the encoder in each motor that controls each side independently to track straight and stay in sync. The bypass feeds full 12V power to both motors.

X2 on Brian's comments on the battery being charged and with the battery switch on and the AC cord plugged in to achieve maximum voltage at the slide motors.

From the manual

SCHWINTEK INWALL SLIDEOUT SYSTEMIf the Schwintek InWall slideout does not extend or retract, follow these steps to override the system.Electronic manual override (for board revision C1 and newer):1. Locate the circuit board.2. Press the “mode button” six (6) times quickly, press a seventh (7th) time and hold for approximately five (5) seconds.3. The RED and GREEN LED lights will begin to flash, confirming the override mode.4. Release the “mode” button.5. Back inside the RV, press and hold the Slide Room 2 switch “IN” button until the room comes completely in.

Jim
          Last edited by Guest; 04-11-2021, 08:40 AM.

Comment

Well, I got the RV back. The motors were not synced. When I picked it up, the slide didn't work so I went back and told the Service Manager. He sent out one of their Techs and showed me how to resync the motors. If the slide is in, double tap the extend rocker and then hold the retract rocker. Then reverse the same procedure, then extend and sure enough, it worked. So I am retaining this procedure for future reference.
            John and Lori
            2018 F150 XLT SCAB 2.7l
            2021 Imagine 22MLE

Comment

Well, I got the RV back. The motors were not synced. When I picked it up, the slide didn't work so I went back and told the Service Manager. He sent out one of their Techs and showed me how to resync the motors. If the slide is in, double tap the extend rocker and then hold the retract rocker. Then reverse the same procedure, then extend and sure enough, it worked. So I am retaining this procedure for future reference.
              John to keep them sinked whenever you extend or retract, hold the button on for an additional 3 seconds at the end of travel when everything stops. This should be in the slide manual. Also try not to just partially extend the slide. I learned this lesson the hard way on my first outing as I only extended far enough to get to the bathroom, and doing so got it out of sink.
              Hope this helps
              Keith
              2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

The double tap clears observed codes. Once codes are cleared, run the slide out or in about six inches depending on its original position and then re-seat the slide. Hold the switch for 5 to 10 seconds after the slide stops. This is the action that will re-sync the motors.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post
                  The double tap clears observed codes
                  Jim
                  Is there a way to 'observe' these codes? To give a person an idea as to why their slide is acting up?

2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
                  Not to brag or anything about my finances, but my bank calls me about every day to tell me my balance is OUTSTANDING!

Comment

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
                    Is there a way to 'observe' these codes? To give a person an idea as to why their slide is acting up?
                    The slide controller will blink a light , counting the number of blinks gives the code. This is all located on a label on the slide controller ( if you can find it some are well hidden , like looking for easter eggs).

Brian
                    Brian & Michelle
                    2018 Reflection 29RS
                    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Thanks for answering Scott, Brian. As you know, I'm still in the stage of moving (will be for a while) and will stop in here occasionally until my life stabilizes. I do have a couple options on storage for the Imagine.

Jim

Comment

We are heading out on Sunday for a week long trip. I have read lot on the Schwintek slide out. We ran it the other day and it did it again, stopped when only a few inches out and crooked. I finally was able to get it in and sync the motors and she ran out and back in no problem. I did hold the rocker switch in about 5 seconds. I have ready that is the key. Since we are leaving, and I am wondering before I run out the slide, would it be prudent to hold the rocker switch in for at least 5 seconds BEFORE I run the slide out? I am thinking it would sync the motors even before I run it out, ensuring it will work. Thoughts?
                        John and Lori
                        2018 F150 XLT SCAB 2.7l
                        2021 Imagine 22MLE

Comment

I am wondering before I run out the slide, would it be prudent to hold the rocker switch in for at least 5 seconds BEFORE I run the slide out? ...Thoughts?
                          Shouldn't be necessary. Holding the button (when the slide is done extending or retracting) essentially resets the zero point. If your controller is somehow losing that setting on it's own that would be a first (for me).

What I'd try is swapping the lines that plug into the controller from side-to-side. (They have the same style connector and are not keyed.) Make sure and mark them so you know how they were originally installed. Then, if the problem happens again, did the slide skew on the same side or the opposite side? If opposite, it could be the controller. If the same side, it should be the motor or a drag/mechanical issue but not likely the controller.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Swap wires.JPG Views:	0 Size:	77.0 KB ID:	56423

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Have to say not too happy with my slide out. On my last trip, it slide back in fine and I held the button down for 5+ seconds after it stopped. Took the Imagine out last weekend. Arrived at the camp site, leveled the trailer, and then went to engage the slide. It started fine but stopped a few seconds/inches. It appears the one motor seems to stop. I have to reach on top of the motor to "wiggle" the connector. Bring it back in and then out she goes. Came in fine. Brought it home and went to extend the slide out, same thing happened. Wiggled to connector and then she worked.

Do I need to get a new motor? Not sure how to access the motor without pulling off the thick molding. Any advice?
                            John and Lori
                            2018 F150 XLT SCAB 2.7l
                            2021 Imagine 22MLE

Comment

JHC IMO you should always have a spare motor. Copy the serial and model number from the rack and order a motor. Then when the motor arrives, pull the rack in enough to access the motor and remove it to inspect the harness as well as the wiring pigtail (short harness at the motor) that almost always is the culprit. If you can repair the harness or small pigtail harness at the motor, then do so. If the motor is bad, install your spare. I see access can be a challenge at the kitchen side so while your able to operate the slide, a repair should be done as soon as possible.

To access the motor, operate the slide most of the way out so the access screw can be removed from the outside and motor access can be had from the inside while working around the thick molding. Hopefully there is enough room for you to do this while working around the molding. Otherwise it may need to be removed to access the motor.

Come on Lippert and GDRV. Implement some design improvements to this system!! Both in wiring durability as well as motor access.
                              Jim
                              Last edited by Guest; 09-20-2021, 07:16 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X