How far off level and operate a slide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How far off level and operate a slide

I have the new Reflection 310rls. There is no bathroom access with the main slide retracted. There will be a time during travel when access is necessary. How far off level can the trailer be in order to extend the slide and not cause damage to the slide or slide mechanism?
    "As near level as possible" is not a good answer. Parking lots vary, rest areas vary, side of the road varies. Nose high hitching is probable. What would be the off level, side to side, front to back, beyond which the slide should not be operated.
    Ted
    2021 Reflection 310RLS
    2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

According to Lippert's owners manual for a few slides that I looked up , one said as level as possible , the other said level prior to extending slides.

I think you will get a large array of answers from "it doesn't matter" to " perfectly level". I have extended ours when out of level by a few inches either way , front to back or side to side, like 4 or 5 inches. I have never been in an area where we were pitched at a sharp angle that I needed to open the slide or slides.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

@TedS
      Too many variables for a definitive response. I've opened the electric thru-frames on mine at times 5 degrees off curbside and nose low. Definitely not per the owners manual!

My .02: If in doubt, "bump" them only as far as necessary to access the bathroom.
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

I've decided to not be concerned about side to side. All that affects is how much weight the actuator may have to push or pull. Not so much skewing involved. One degree over 8 feet is a tilt of 1 1/2 inches. One mark on my hitch mounted master level represents 1 1/2 inches of tilt.

Front to back 1 degree off level over 35 feet is about 8 inches. About 2% grade. Maybe I won't be too concerned about front to back, either. Extending the slide just enough may be the answer for least stress and rig parking lot clearance.

Even those angles are within refrigerator limits of +- 3 deg refrigerator fron to back and +- 6 deg refrigerator side to side.

Was hoping GDRV may have tried some off level scenarios.
        Ted
        2021 Reflection 310RLS
        2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Originally posted by TedS View Post
          Was hoping GDRV may have tried some off level scenarios.
          None that I am aware of...
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

The primary concern I would have with front to back level is the slide wanting to "walk" towards one end of the opening.
            Joseph
            Tow
            Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
            Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
            South of Houston Texas

Comment

That's why I was asking if GDRV knows how much tilt before how far the walk for the through frame slide. Maybe recentralize the slide by tilting the other way and walking it back after an off level event.
              Ted
              2021 Reflection 310RLS
              2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Interesting, two similar questions on the same day. Here is part of my answer to Barg that seems relevant to your question, TedS :

I think Barg you answered your own question. It's a matter of risk and comfort level. With the slides in the TH center of mass is between the frames two carrier beams. With the slides out, not so much, so if something goes wrong while moving the landing or stabilizing jacks (un-leveling the TH, raising or lowering the nose, releveling after loading the toys, not so much while actually loading or off loading the toys), it could go drastically wrong. I suspect your owner's manual says not to level with the slides out and even if it doesn't if you're not comfortable doing this, don't.

One thing I failed to mention to Barg is that if either you or Ted are near capacity on you axels then extending the slide(s) without the stabilizer jacks down you could overload the jacks on the heavy side of the unit. Just something else for you to take into consideration.
                John
                2018 Momentum 395M
                2018 Ram 3500 Dually
                Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

The jacks are load rated higher than either axles or tires. It would not matter if you load the jacks before or after extension. Same slide extension, same overhung slide load. You may overload the tires and axles on the slide side if you extend the slide before putting the jacks down to share the weight if you are at max load.
                  Ted
                  2021 Reflection 310RLS
                  2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Originally posted by JBill9694 View Post
                    Interesting, two similar questions on the same day. Here is part of my answer to Barg that seems relevant to your question, TedS :

I think Barg you answered your own question. It's a matter of risk and comfort level. With the slides in the TH center of mass is between the frames two carrier beams. With the slides out, not so much, so if something goes wrong while moving the landing or stabilizing jacks (un-leveling the TH, raising or lowering the nose, releveling after loading the toys, not so much while actually loading or off loading the toys), it could go drastically wrong. I suspect your owner's manual says not to level with the slides out and even if it doesn't if you're not comfortable doing this, don't.

One thing I failed to mention to Barg is that if either you or Ted are near capacity on you axels then extending the slide(s) without the stabilizer jacks down you could overload the jacks on the heavy side of the unit. Just something else for you to take into consideration.
                    My bad, I should have said "overload the axels" instead of "overload the jacks" Guess that's the problem with proofing your own text.
                    John
                    2018 Momentum 395M
                    2018 Ram 3500 Dually
                    Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

Working...
                    X