Can you walk on slide roof?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you walk on slide roof?

I tried to search this, but I can't figure out how to search a string of words.

Anyway - trying to figure out a safer access to the roof. I get leery going over the top all scrunched over on the existing ladder. I have saffolding that will give me supported (hand hold) to get on the slide roof easily and from there I can step on the main roof at the very back of the slide. I can position the scaffolding so I have a hand hold there to step up. I am guessing I can walk on or near the edge, but was wondering. I am a bit heavy though 250lbs. Main roof is no issue as it rated over 300 lbs.

Thoughts?
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Originally posted by Yoda View Post
    I tried to search this, but I can't figure out how to search a string of words.

Anyway - trying to figure out a safer access to the roof. I get leery going over the top all scrunched over on the existing ladder. I have saffolding that will give me supported (hand hold) to get on the slide roof easily and from there I can step on the main roof at the very back of the slide. I can position the scaffolding so I have a hand hold there to step up. I am guessing I can walk on or near the edge, but was wondering. I am a bit heavy though 250lbs. Main roof is no issue as it rated over 300 lbs.

Thoughts?
    There was a picture from a factory tour of then walking on them when they build the rig. I frequently use my 8’ ladder to get onto the slide and then step to the roof. When it’s in my shop I can’t get to the back ladder. I go heavier than you at 290.

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
    2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
    2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Yoda , While I don't make a habit of it, I have walked on slide roofs in the past in lesser-built units with no issues. This was to remove a wind ripped full wall slide topper (carefree aka worry more) while in camp in order that we could leave/travel. The roof should be at least as sturdy as the slide walls. Remember the "thump here" sticker on the slideout when your unit was new? I would not be afraid of these slides.
      Dave and Darren Bakersfield, CA
      2019 GMC Denali dually 4x4 duramax, BW puck hitch, timbrens
      2015 Chevrolet 3500 CC duramax SB SRW (much loved; replaced with dually)
      2021 Solitude 390 RK-R (3 A/C, solar, gen, 8K axles DP glass), comfort ride shocks, VIN 03584
      Max and Riley, our chihuahua/jack russell furbabies

Comment

I have seen it done, but couldn't recommend it. What's funny is I find crawling up and over the ladder much more comfortable than I would crawling off a ladder onto a slide.
        2017 Momentum 376, 2019 Ford F450
        2022 Triumph Scrambler Motorcycle
        E-bikes, Hobi Pedal Kayaks
        Kota the dog and KC the Kitty Cat

Comment

When researching units, a dealer Canada did a video on a Transcend and specifically pointed out that the slide out roofs are fully walkable. My assumption would be if the transcend is built walkable, they all should be.
          Jonathon, Sarah, Things 1, 2, & 3 Higham
          2020 Silverado 1500
          2021 Transcend Xplor 297QB

Comment

Many videos showing walking on GD slides. I would be okay doing that on a rack-n-pinion slide. I doubt I would do that on a Schwinntech slide. The roof and side walls will support the weight. My concern is the slide mechanism itself..
            Charles and Susan
            2021 Ram 3500 6.4 Hemi, 4x4 CCSB
            Andersen Hitch
            2021 Reflection 337rls

Comment

Working...
            X