Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2018 Reflection 303, Appliance Slide/Linoleum Repair

2018 Reflection 303.

Appliance Slide/Linoleum Repair. (Street Side Slide)

I just received back my 5er from GD, for the second repair on the Street Side Slide/Linoleum Repair.
    A little history first:

First Repair, was done by my selling dealer in June 2019. They removed the 3 wood slide bars under the slide (each end of the slide out, and one, center of slide), along with trimming off the black decorative boards at the bottom of the slide (toe kickers I call these), making these close to level with the slide floor board. They also patch the linoleum tears (I did not like the patch job on the floor they performed).

The first time out after this fix, the Linoleum tore again as the slide still slid across the linoleum while extending or retracting.
    So, I contacted GD and asked for their assistance in this matter.

Second Repair: Grand Design did this at their Factory Service Center, week of 10-7-19.

What was found was, the slide was not adjusted correctly. The slide was still “riding” on the floor causing the damage to the linoleum (vertical position adjustment) while extending and retracting. After several attempts at adjusting the slide to not “Ride” on the linoleum when Extending or Retracting, they were able to accomplish this adjustment. They also repaired the floor area where the slide was tearing the Linoleum. This Linoleum repair looked good.

Note: The slide still is very close to the linoleum when I start extending the slide outward, until the weight starts to transfers out and in when retracting.
    (This is about 3-4 inches going out, and the last 3 -4 inches coming in during retracting). I would guess, I have around 1/16th to 1/8” gap max in this area of “Close to the Linoleum”.

I asked if the slide adjustment was out from the initial build of the trailer, or if the traveling on the great roads we have caused the issue? They were not sure on why it was out of adjustment.

I asked GD, what happens If the slide was to tear the Linoleum again. Their response was, we will repair the unit.

Do I feel, this fix will solve the issue ? I’m not sure at this point.

As it is the end of the camping season here in Michigan, I might not be able to see how this repair will work until next year, camping season.

I’m curious on the 2019, 2020 Reflection 303, and 337 models to start with, on how the Appliance Slide (Street Side) are being assembled, in the floor area:
    1. Are there rollers on the slide, that ride on the Linoleum?
    2. If rollers, how many are across the slide floor?
    3. If no rollers, are they still using the Wood Slide Bars?
    4. Any other things noticed under the slide?
    And a “Thank You” to GD (Emily S, Jerry W, and Valerie R, and all at the GD Service Center Associates who worked on my 5er. Everyone was very polite, friendly and willing to assist.

Steve
    Last edited by Country Campers; 10-16-2019, 07:05 PM.
    Steve
    2018 Reflection 303
    2023 F350 Lariat, 4 x 4 CCSB.
    Diesel, Star White.

2018 Reflection 303.

We just received our unit back after having the latest factory fix applied to the slide. Our dealer did a fantastic job. No complaints, especially considering the magnitude of the repair.

Repair consisted of replacing the complete slide floor. Replaced the original 1/2" plywood floor with 1" thick plywood. Replaced rollers and of course all of the inside finished wood trim and patched the Linoleum. Considering that almost everything is fastened to the floor in the slide it had to be no small feat to replace the flooring. Just trust everything works when we go to use it in the Spring.

Just a final note. Everything was covered under warranty and the actual repair took about a week after all of the parts were received from the factory.

Gary

Comment

Originally posted by GR_Nampa View Post
      2018 Reflection 303.

We just received our unit back after having the latest factory fix applied to the slide. Our dealer did a fantastic job. No complaints, especially considering the magnitude of the repair.

Repair consisted of replacing the complete slide floor. Replaced the original 1/2" plywood floor with 1" thick plywood. Replaced rollers and of course all of the inside finished wood trim and patched the Linoleum. Considering that almost everything is fastened to the floor in the slide it had to be no small feat to replace the flooring. Just trust everything works when we go to use it in the Spring.

Just a final note. Everything was covered under warranty and the actual repair took about a week after all of the parts were received from the factory.

Gary
      GR-Nampa
      Glad to hear your repair worked out. I’m taking my 18, 303 back in early spring for the same repair.
      This will be the 2nd time back to the factory. (3rd time overall counting the dealer.)
      They tried adjusting the slide etc, but after the trip home, the corner we’re riding the linoleum again.
      Val set me up at the factory to have the same repair you have.
      Replace floor to 1” board, add rollers. The linoleum is not tore yet, and hopefully they get this fixed before it tears again.
      Steve
      2018 Reflection 303
      Diesel, Star White.

Comment

Hi Steve,
        Good to see you're going to be able to get your unit in early spring. There has to be a number of units out there that need repair.
        You mentioned having a couple of repairs already. Like you we had the slide adjusted in the fall of 2018 when the floor was starting to show a problem. When spring came and on our first trip out we could see adjustment wasn't going to be a fix. I started using a thin piece of steel under the center roller but this required 2 of us to put the slide out because the weight on the steel plate was so much that one time it literally sucked the plate under the slide which was now stuck under it, bent. it took be an hour and a half with a big magnet to get it back out. Not fun but at least we were home where I had tools.

Over all how has your unit been? Other than the slide issue we ave been very pleased with ours. Our biggest complaint was the extremely uncomfortable factory "pillow top" mattress. This was first dealt with by adding a 3" memory foam topper and then last spring we bought a new queen mattress from a local mattress factory, problem solved.

Also last year I replaced the little oval sink in the bathroom with a larger oval and a faucet that is higher so you can actually us the sink. This is something the factory could do at really no additional cost.

Good luck with the retrofit.

Gary

Comment

Hi Gary,
          Yes, I was doing the board thing under the street slide also before the 2nd adjustment But after the 2nd adjustment, the corners (each end) are dragging again. Luckily, that is the first trip this spring, for the slide repair at GD Service Center.

Overall, we are pleased with out coach. I would purchase another GD if we were looking. (Have thought about it. The CEO wants a 337).
          The mattress. My fix on that is adult beverages. LOL. We did the foam thing also. It helps. Really need a box spring under the mattress, but I thing the height would be an issue then.

The coach goes in mid April. 7-10 days is the estimate. I will update once I get her back.
          Steve
          2018 Reflection 303
          Diesel, Star White.

Comment

Hi folks. I am curious about this topic. Is the slide a common issue with GD or is it mainly with the 303 and does it apply to the 337?

Thanks
            Pierre and Debbie
            2018 Ram 3500 SLT srw lb
            2018 GD Reflection 337 RLS

Comment

From what I know and remember, it seems to be only the 303’s. I do not remember hearing anything on the 337’s.
              Someone should be along here to answer that.
              As above, I take mine back to the Service Center at GD, Mid April.
              Plan is:
              Pull the slide. Replace the floor board of the slide with a 1” board, add roller’s for support.

If your having an issue, get a hold of GD Service. Have your vin number.
              Steve
              2018 Reflection 303
              Diesel, Star White.

Comment

Ok. Thanks for the reply
                I was asking because I thought the 303 and 337 had pretty much the same slide configuration and weight on that slide and was wondering if the slide floor was build differently ( I.e. floor thickness)
                Pierre and Debbie
                2018 Ram 3500 SLT srw lb
                2018 GD Reflection 337 RLS

Comment

Working...
                X