Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Talcum powder, baby powder or corn starch for slide seal maintenance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Talcum powder, baby powder or corn starch for slide seal maintenance?

Grand Design techs recommend dusting slide seals with talcum powder. True talcum powder is getting hard to find (carcinogenic apparently) and I have heard some say baby powder works, however most baby powder these days is mostly corn starch. What is the consensus? Is plain corn starch OK or do I need to find real talcum powder?
    Thanks
    -
    Rob, Chris and fur baby Maya
    2019 Solitude 374TH, Victron Multiplus II 3000 2x120, 600AH of Battle Born LiFePO4, 1800W Solar, Blue Sky CC's, Starlink
    2023 GMC Denali Duramax 4x4 DRW LB CC, Curt Q25
    Follow us at https://rctravels.rmcd.ca/

KamFlyer -- other than keeping the seals free from debris, dirt, etc., the only other thing I keep an eye on is to ensure they flip completely each time the slides go in (or out).
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Like Howard, I do nothing for the seals other than keep clean. I don't dust or lube them. The last trailer I kept for 15 years and they never wore out using my method of...doing nothing.
      2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
      Not to brag or anything about my finances, but my bank calls me about every day to tell me my balance is OUTSTANDING!

Comment

At a Rally tech seminar several years ago, the LCI rep advised that slide seal material contains a waxy additive for lubrication. Sprays or powders can leach this lubricant out of the seal. (To be fair . . . at a subsequent Rally session a Grand Design rep advised using baby powder.) I have gone with the “do nothing” advice from LCI and six years later, seals are still flexible and still feel “waxy”.

Like just about any other aspect of an RV . . . there are multiple different opinions .

Rob
        Cate & Rob
        (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
        2015 Reflection 303RLS
        2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

It was at the 2020 Quartzsite rally that the techs and GD rep (don't recall his name) were saying, IIRC, talcum powder (although it may have been baby powder) in an old sock and to just dust the seals. Most baby powder these days is mostly corn starch so was wondering if straight CS would be OK.
          -Rob-
          -
          Rob, Chris and fur baby Maya
          2019 Solitude 374TH, Victron Multiplus II 3000 2x120, 600AH of Battle Born LiFePO4, 1800W Solar, Blue Sky CC's, Starlink
          2023 GMC Denali Duramax 4x4 DRW LB CC, Curt Q25
          Follow us at https://rctravels.rmcd.ca/

Comment

Anyone use 3 in 1 rubber seal conditioner? https://www.walmart.com/ip/3-IN-ONE-...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
            Bill Nelson

2019 Chevy Silverado with 6.2 and 10 speed trans

2020 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

Comment

Working...
            X