Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slide out screws backing out

Hello
    I have been fighting the screws on my GD 310GK-R Solitude slides for a while now. They keep backing out and one is now broken off. Any idea how to fix this. I'm back at home now and I am thinking I pull out the old screws and go up one size in stainless steel and glue and seal them. As for the one that is broken I am thinking seal it real good and put a new one right next to it. thoughts and idea would be helpful thanks. See attached pictures. Any help from anyone who has had this problem would be appreciated. Dan
    Last edited by Country Campers; 06-20-2021, 01:24 PM. Reason: Fixed title for ease of searching
    Barbara & Dan
    2020 Solitude 310GKR

Originally posted by BarbaraD View Post
    Hello
    I have been fighting the screws on my GD GK301R Solitude slides for a while now. They keep backing out and one is now broken off. Any idea how to fix this. I'm back at home now and I am thinking I pull out the old screws and go up one size in stainless steel and glue and seal them. As for the one that is broken I am thinking seal it real good and put a new one right next to it. thoughts and idea would be helpful thanks. See attached pictures. Any help from anyone who has had this problem would be appreciated. Dan
    Before going to a different screw diameter and color, I'd consider using some Blue Loctite on the current screws. Don't use Red Loctite because you may have a very difficult time removing them if you ever need to. And you might try a screw extractor to remove the broken one.

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

BarbaraD TucsonJim
      Hi Dan,

Are these screws going into wood or metal? If they are going into wood, I don't think that Locktite is going to help (It might be worth a try). I would be inclined to try epoxy thickened with strengthening fibres. If you ever need to remove the screws, heating them will release the epoxy bond to the metal screw while leaving a threaded epoxy lined hole in the wood.

​​​​​​​Rob
      Cate & Rob
      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
      2015 Reflection 303RLS
      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

BarbaraD
        We also have a broken trim screw on the vertical part of our slide. I asked Grand Design for some suggestions on how fit it. They suggested (in no particular order)
        - Like you suggested, seal the old one and put a new one beside it. The heads up from GD was if this happens more, the trim may start to look funny with all the extra screws
        - Drill out the old screw and replace it with one that was the next size up. In my case, they use a #6 so replace with a #8
        - Try using a screw extractor to remove the broken screw and replace.

I haven't fixed mine yet, but I was leaning towards trying option 3 and failing that go with option 1. Either way, I will be placing some sealant on the new screw. Option 2 just feels too difficult to follow the old screw perfectly.
        2019 Imagine 2400BH
        2019 F150 XLT Super Crew, EcoBoost, 6.5' box, Max tow package with 3.55 ratio

Comment

Drilling out a metal screw without slipping off into the surrounding softer wood is almost impossible. You risk making a bigger hole and a bit of a mess. I would seal over the broken screw with a dab of silicone and start fresh.

BTW, for securing the screws, I would go with West System Epoxy. (Primarily because I have used it for years on all sorts of projects). Start with the 105 Resin and the 205 Fast Hardener. Add 404 High Density Adhesive Filler until the mixture is about the consistency of caulking. Coat each screw and reinsert it. The screws should stay put . . . in fact, you will likely have to heat them to get them out, if you ever need to.

Rob
          Cate & Rob
          2015 Reflection 303RLS
          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
            Drilling out a metal screw without slipping off into the surrounding softer wood is almost impossible. You risk making a bigger hole and a bit of a mess. I would seal over the broken screw with a dab of silicone and start fresh.

Rob
            Totally agree, drilling is too risky and feels like really low (or zero) chances of success. I thought about trying a spiral screw extractor, like this one from Princess Auto, but again not sure if the odds are there
            Click image for larger version

Name:	8619322_A0CG_00_01.jpg&height=600&width=600.jpg
Views:	509
Size:	13.2 KB
ID:	58109
            2019 Imagine 2400BH
            2019 F150 XLT Super Crew, EcoBoost, 6.5' box, Max tow package with 3.55 ratio

Comment

BarbaraD TucsonJim
              Hi Dan,

Are these screws going into wood or metal? If they are going into wood, I don't think that Locktite is going to help (It might be worth a try). I would be inclined to try epoxy thickened with strengthening fibres. If you ever need to remove the screws, heating them will release the epoxy bond to the metal screw while leaving a threaded epoxy lined hole in the wood.

​​​​​​​Rob
              BarbaraD

Rob - it could be either or both depending on how the side wall is framed. A few pictures from below might give us a hint. This would be a good question for GD to answer. In that location it could be the floor edge, or the bottom of the side wall structure (aluminum).

What is puzzling is why is it flexing so much to cause this issue? Could the support rollers need adjustment? It may be still covered under warrentee.

If wood I have had good luck in the past with Gorilla glue (foaming type). Using a hobby syringe place a small amount of glue in the back of the hole, dampen the screw (up size if needed) and install. Immediately clean up any excess glue and wear gloved otherwise you will have black fingers.

BTW if the trim is fully removed you might get a pair of vice grips on the stub if any is there to grab on to for removal.

Brainstorming here
              Keith
              2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post
                BarbaraD

If wood I have had good luck in the past with Gorilla glue (foaming type). Using a hobby syringe place a small amount of glue in the back of the hole, dampen the screw (up size if needed) and install. Immediately clean up any excess glue and wear gloved otherwise you will have black fingers.
                I will second the Gorilla Grue trick. I've used it many times and never had a treated screw come out on its own again.
                -Rob-
                -
                Rob, Chris and fur baby Maya
                2019 Solitude 374TH, Victron Multiplus II 3000 2x120, 600AH of Battle Born LiFePO4, 1800W Solar, Blue Sky CC's, Starlink
                2023 GMC Denali Duramax 4x4 DRW LB CC, Curt Q25
                Follow us at https://rctravels.rmcd.ca/

Comment

BTW, for securing the screws, I would go with West System Epoxy. (Primarily because I have used it for years on all sorts of projects). Start with the 105 Resin and the 205 Fast Hardener. Add 404 High Density Adhesive Filler until the mixture is about the consistency of caulking. Coat each screw and reinsert it. The screws should stay put . . . in fact, you will likely have to heat them to get them out, if you ever need to.

Rob
                  Rob,

Would you recommend the same approach for the small screws on the inside of the window frames when the heads pop off? I've got one in the bedroom that the head has popped off of and I've been dreading trying to extract the shaft for the reasons you mention.

(Another Rob)
                  Rob & Laura
                  U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
                  2012 F350 DRW CC Lariat PS 6.7, PullRite OE 18K
                  2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS and disc brakes, solar, BB LiFePO4, DP windows
                  (Previously in a 2016 Reflection 337RLS)
                  Full time since 08/2015

Comment

Second Chance
                    Hi Rob,

Drilling out a small diameter screw from a softer material is virtually impossible. A spot of silicone to seal the broken screw and a new one beside it, would be my choice.

Rob
                    Cate & Rob
                    2015 Reflection 303RLS
                    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Working...
                    X