Schwintek Slide Broken Gibs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Schwintek Slide Broken Gibs

We have a 2021 Solitude 390RK and we have now had 5 Gibs break off on two different slides. There are two Gibs in each of the bearing blocks. In Feb. we had two break on the forward/lower side of the kitchen stove side slide, this allowed that side of the slide to slip down and crack the fiberglass below the slide. We took it to a Grand Design dealer in Texas and had to wait 4 weeks to get the parts to fix the slide and another week for the body work to be accomplished. The very next time we put the slides out a gib broke off the aft/lower side of the same slide, we were lucky we were still at the dealer and they were able to reattach the gib. This is now something that I check every time we put the slides in or out because you can see the rivets that attach them. When we set up at our current location I found two more of the gibs broken off, this time on the opposite side of the kitchen slide, now I'm worried about what will happen when I bring this slide in. We do not have heavy items in these slides so I do not believe they are overloaded. Has anyone had this problem or heard of anyone else having a problem?
    Donnie & Pattie
    2017 F350 Dually, 2021 Solitude 390RK
    Vin# 573FS4224MAA00525

Have you reached out to Grand Design Customer Service? What was the outcome if you did?

This is not anything that I have seen or heard of so far. The crack in the outer skin is not good and I believe that Grand Design will want to see this. I am going to pass this on to Grand Design and let you know what I can find out or help you with.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

I have worked with Grand Design on this the first time it happened and everything was fixed. I have reached out to the customer representative that has helped us with all of our problems so far, I'm waiting for her to get back to me. I'm just trying to find out if others are having this problem. I do want to take it back to the factory to have it looked at this time.
      Donnie & Pattie
      Vin# 573FS4224MAA00525

Comment

[racerx1699;n58596]I have worked with Grand Design on this the first time it happened and everything was fixed. I have reached out to the customer representative that has helped us with all of our problems so far, I'm waiting for her to get back to me. I'm just trying to find out if others are having this problem. I do want to take it back to the factory to have it looked at this time.[/QUOTE]

I'm agree with Country Campers -- this is unusual. I can't remember reading a similar scenario on this forum or in the past. Second Chance ? d2reid ? You guys have been around awhile...
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
          [racerx1699;n58596]I have worked with Grand Design on this the first time it happened and everything was fixed. I have reached out to the customer representative that has helped us with all of our problems so far, I'm waiting for her to get back to me. I'm just trying to find out if others are having this problem. I do want to take it back to the factory to have it looked at this time.
          I'm agree with Country Campers -- this is unusual. I can't remember reading a similar scenario on this forum or in the past. Second Chance ? d2reid ? You guys have been around awhile...[/QUOTE]

No - I have not experienced this personally nor have I ever read of it happening. I didn't even know this part existed and thought the Gibbs were the brothers in the Bee Gees...

Rob
          Rob & Laura
          U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
          2012 F350 DRW CC Lariat PS 6.7, PullRite OE 18K
          2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS and disc brakes, solar, BB LiFePO4, DP windows
          (Previously in a 2016 Reflection 337RLS)
          Full time since 08/2015

Comment

Never heard of this either. Seems like the spacing/location is wrong creating too much load.
            Jim (& Sharon)
            2015 GD Momentum 385TH w/ Joy Rider shocks, Sailun 637s & 3" Garage extension, LifeBlue Lithium.
            2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
            The toys:
            2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE
            2018 Fiat Abarth Cabrio

Comment

First time I have read of this failure.

Those little motors work because they produce a lot of torque. I can't help but wonder if there is something the slide is catching on, or maybe then synchronizing controller is not working properly. I will be following this to see what is found.
              2017 Momentum 376, 2019 Ford F450
              2022 Triumph Scrambler Motorcycle
              E-bikes, Hobi Pedal Kayaks
              Kota the dog and KC the Kitty Cat

Comment

From the information that I have gathered so far ,,,,,

The stress on the gib causing failure would be from vertical stress or movement. This could be caused from something stuck under the slide , if it is a floor slide.

Brian
                Brian & Michelle
                2018 Reflection 29RS
                2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
                  From the information that I have gathered so far ,,,,,

The stress on the gib causing failure would be from vertical stress or movement. This could be caused from something stuck under the slide , if it is a floor slide.

Brian
                  We have checked for stuff under the slide, didn't find anything under there. I have attached pictures of the rollers that the slides roll across as the y open & close. I'm wondering if there isn't enough support from them. This is happening on two separate kitchen slides.
                  Donnie & Pattie
                  Vin# 573FS4224MAA00525

Comment

I'm wondering if this isn't possibly an assembly issue, that their was either a problem with the installation of the gib or placing the slides into the chassis? Seems strange that (as far as we know) this has only affected one unit. Another feeble thought is that speaking from experience, the kitchen takes an absolute beating and could something have happened during the delivery trip to create a high torque shear and damaged them?
                    I did take the opportunity to find and inspect mine last night.
                    Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
                    Nash County, NC
                    2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

racerx1699 Donnie,

Does your slide reach the endpoint of travel at the same time on both sides? Wondering if they are off a tooth from side to side. Also wondering if the slide can be synchronized while being off a tooth from side to side which may appear to be aligned but is actually enduring stresses in the gib.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post
                        racerx1699 Donnie,

Does your slide reach the endpoint of travel at the same time on both sides? Wondering if they are off a tooth from side to side. Also wondering if the slide can be synchronized while being off a tooth from side to side which may appear to be aligned but is actually enduring stresses in the gib.

Jim
                        That's a good question and it's something I will look for when we put the slides in and out. We just found these two broken gibs when we set up at our current location and when we put the slide back in it will not be put back out until we get it fixed.
                        Donnie & Pattie
                        Vin# 573FS4224MAA00525

Comment

I got the trailer into the dealer last Tuesday, the whole slide mechanism for that slide will have to be replaced, waiting on parts now. Luckily we can still live in the trailer just don't put out that slide. There another person on the Solitude 390 Facebook group going though the same problem right now with the stove side slide, which is the first one we had break back in Feb.
                          Donnie & Pattie
                          Vin# 573FS4224MAA00525

Comment

We have had 3 broken gibs on both our kitchen slides. Thanks to youtube and a service tech, I have been able to do the repairs myself. The gib is held in place with 2 rivets. Easy to replace if they are on the outside. Haven't replaced on the inside yet. When I took my rig in to get the slide repaired, they told me about 3 weeks to get my rig back. But the service guy was nice and showed me where the gib went and how to repair. About $20 in parts and tool, and about 30 minutes, we were back on the road. I have not contacted GD yet but taking my rig to a shop and have them keep it for an extended pile of time in unsat. My local dealer, where I purchased the rig, told me they couldn't schedule repairs till 6 months out. I have relegated to doing repairs myself.

Comment

Working...
                            X