Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Suggestions on How to Close Gap Around Lower Bearing Blocks

What would you do to seal up this area?

Around both lower bearing blocks on my Schwintek slide there is a large gap that allows light, (hot or cold) outside air, and of course small winged creatures with stingers to enter the bedroom.

For orientation, the Schwintek is the slide with the "rails" on the side. On my 315RLTS it's the bedroom slide. The DW held a flashlight outside near the slide's lower bearing block and I took pictures inside. Then I took a picture outside looking in.

Click image for larger version

Name:	315RLTS.JPG
Views:	555
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	59252

The bearing block is stationary--the slide moves, not the block. The bottom spur gear is driven by the torque shaft. (You can only see the V-Roller which is below the bearing block in the picture.) It appears there's a missing seal or it's not cut correctly? (The one in the outside picture is the outer wiper seal but it doesn't appear to fit around the slide as shown in the diagram below..)

Name:	Components.JPG
Views:	298
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	59253

Name:	Interior View.JPG
Views:	308
Size:	112.8 KB
ID:	59254
    It's almost as if that lower seal (not the one I'm holding--the one up against the bottom of the slide's bottom) is too far inboard?

Name:	Outside View.JPG
Views:	289
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	59255
    Nothing can be attached to the slide--as previously stated it moves. A little befuddled at the moment on what to do.

For those with Schwintek slides, (please) take a look at yours and post how the seals are configured in this area. If you have a gap like mine, I'd appreciate knowing that, too.

If anyone has any ideas...please fire away.

Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

I can tell you from experience that steel wool will keep critters such as mice out of pocket corners but regarding the sealing from cold or hot air....I have no answer.
    2021 F350 Lariat DRW 4x4 6.7 diesel
    2021 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R

Comment

Howard I have the same holes - I was trying to think of a way to add a bulb seal, or foam it closed using plastic wrap as a barrier to areas I did not want the foam to stick to. been too busy with the Blue box and panels. Its on my round to it list.

howson
      I just had another thought .What about carving up a pool noodle to fit the space. You could use double face tap to hold it in place. Their closed cell foam. so wont trap moisture.
      Last edited by Yoda; 07-03-2021, 08:57 AM.
      2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

A couple of issues I've found this morning.

Issue #1:
        I found out why the lower Schwintek rail facing forward is allowing more light than the side facing aft. The lower inner wiper seal is completely torn off. I found it under the V roller. Only speculation is it somehow got caught in the roller mechanism and tore off when the slide was retracted. It's been this way for quite awhile, so no telling when it happened. There's no replacing that seal without removing the slide. (Not going to happen.)

Name:	Torn Seal.JPG
Views:	382
Size:	173.7 KB
ID:	59595
        Unfortunately the outer wiper seal on that lower forward side is also torn, but it's still in one piece, so Super Glue should take care of that. (Super Glue instantly bonds the rubber seals--so be very careful if attempting to use the glue to "fix" a seal.)

I also learned that the inner and outer wiper seals below the bearing block don't sit flush or seal well around the gear rack, either. Some light may pass by the seals regardless of their condition.

I don't know if it's related, but the bulb seal at the base of the same side with the torn wiper seal had the bulb seal pinched into the lower assembly. I had to remove it and trim the destroyed end.

Name:	Destroyed.JPG
Views:	243
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	59599

Issue #2
        I don't know what this part is--it is not covered in any documentation I have for the Schwintek.

On the inside of the trailer along the floor there's a wire guide(?) with a "V" facing upwards that extends to the side of the slide. It's bent down so far that light pours through.

Name:	Guide.JPG
Views:	253
Size:	226.8 KB
ID:	59596
        My trailer has the old style bulb seals (separate from the wiper seals), so I moved the bulb seal from inside that "V" to outside the "V" to compress / hold the "V" in place.

Name:	Outside of the V.JPG
Views:	240
Size:	158.9 KB
ID:	59597
        That change definitely cut the amount of light entering to just that which sneaks past the wiper seal. (Yes, since I moved the bulb seal down there's now a gap where it meets the horizontal bulb seal at the top along the ceiling. I have to get new bulb seals and cut them to the length I want. Note that there's so much light still entering in the picture on the right because this is the side with the missing inner wiper seal.)

Name:	Before and After.JPG
Views:	235
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	59598

Still working on a fix for the missing wiper seal issue. I think there's a solution...the DW and I worked on it all morning. Will post later after a run to Ace Hardware and more experimenting.

Howard
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

Howard

I am wondering if the "V" item is a water catcher or drain type item to catch and drain any water that may enter on the rails or seals. Just thinking on what it could be or do.

Brian
          Brian & Michelle
          2018 Reflection 29RS
          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
            Howard

I am wondering if the "V" item is a water catcher or drain type item to catch and drain any water that may enter on the rails or seals. Just thinking on what it could be or do.

Brian
            It be will on my list of questions for LCI and/or a GD tech at the rally.

Had more "fun" this afternoon looking over the seals around the bottom of the Schwintek. Too tired to post my temp fix, but there's another problem that won't get fixed until the slide is pulled. I'll take a picture of the bottom seal tomorrow where I found a split.

I'm starting to understand the appeal of a camper with no slides...

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

It be will on my list of questions for LCI and/or a GD tech at the rally.

Had more "fun" this afternoon looking over the seals around the bottom of the Schwintek. Too tired to post my temp fix, but there's another problem that won't get fixed until the slide is pulled. I'll take a picture of the bottom seal tomorrow where I found a split.

I'm starting to understand the appeal of a camper with no slides...
              I had an issue with mine just like that, I caught it early and was able to get it fixed under warranty. The seal got caught in the rollers on both sides and ripped them both. On mine the bulb seal is double side tape and the wiper seal fits into a channel. I ended up having all of them replaced. Do not think that helps with your issue but your issue seems to be common.
              2017 F250 Diesel Superduty SRW SWB
              2020 Solitude 310GK-R

Comment

howson - did you need any additional pictures of the slide? We are out camping for the remainder of the week, and can grab some additional pictures of our slide of you need. Although, I may not be able to post them right away, and will need to wait till we're home, since the file size will be too large from my phone. Anyways, let me me know and I can snap them, and post them at some point!
                -S
                2019 Imagine 2400BH
                2019 F150 XLT Super Crew, EcoBoost, 6.5' box, Max tow package with 3.55 ratio

Comment

howson Thinking of going to the dark side and joining the riveted life group???
                  Joseph
                  Tow
                  Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                  Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                  South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by StephenO View Post
                    howson - did you need any additional pictures of the slide? We are out camping for the remainder of the week, and can grab some additional pictures of our slide of you need. Although, I may not be able to post them right away, and will need to wait till we're home, since the file size will be too large from my phone. Anyways, let me me know and I can snap them, and post them at some point!
                    -S
                    Thank you, but no pictures needed.

Comment

Working...
                    X