Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Carry spare Schwintek motor?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Lonestar -- only difference I can see is the label. The comment regarding "slightly different gear ratios" is new to me. I thought the only difference was how the wires under the cap were attached to the board--a common failure point on these motors.


    Click image for larger version

Name:	label.JPG
Views:	193
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	61040
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

    Howard, 2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by Lonestar View Post
      Well, this gets weird. Talked with Lippert this morning about identifying the motor in my trailer so I can get a spare. Seems there is an old 300rpm motor and a new 300rpm motor.

      My trailer is only 2 years old and by my physical description of the motor to the young lady, she says I have the old motor. GD gave me a part number but unfortunately the old and new motor have the same number.

      Now the problem. Lippert says you cannot mix the motors as they are slightly different gear ratios. If defective, you have to replace both motors.

      Is there no end to this?
      Write down the serial number from the schwintek rail inside the rig and call them back. The old model is no longer made where there is a newer model from the new model that includes shrink wrap. The clearance was so tight, I could not use the shrink wrap and had to cut it off.

      Jim
      2017 Imagine 2600RB
      2015 GMC Sierra 4x4

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post

        Write down the serial number from the schwintek rail inside the rig and call them back. The old model is no longer made where there is a newer model from the new model that includes shrink wrap. The clearance was so tight, I could not use the shrink wrap and had to cut it off.

        Jim
        That's what I did, and got an email back this morning saying my motor was in fact the newer model, and that I could simply replace either motor with a new one and not have an issue.

        What concerns me is that she really could not give specific differences other than "slightly different gear ratio" and the two versions cannot be mixed. Same model number and no visual difference (like you specified in your picture). She said something about a plate being used in the old model, and I never could pinpoint what exactly that meant. She was very nice and helpful but I just couldn't get a good feeling about the motor identification process.

        When you say shrink wrap, do you mean a black rubber covering on the motor part of the assembly? That's what I have.

        Now here's the deal. Amazon has the motor for $170. Who knows which model it is. Lippert will sell you one motor for $290 and give you the second motor free. I really don't want to invest in 2 motors.
        2020 Reflection 273MK
        2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by Lonestar View Post
          What concerns me is that she really could not give specific differences other than "slightly different gear ratio" ...
          When you say shrink wrap, do you mean a black rubber covering on the motor part of the assembly? That's what I have.
          Whenever someone in the RV industry gives me a general statement like that I quit listening to them. They typically are shooting from the hip and don't really know what they are talking about. If you know there is a gear ratio difference then you would know the specific gear ratio and know exactly what the difference is. The other question would be does it matter? The slide controller has a synchronization algorithm built in. It's designed to make the slide sides move the same amount. If it gets out of synch the slide stops. This becomes really apparent when the slide motor is not functioning properly. Kind of an early symptom of slide motor failure is the slide stopping numerous times while sliding.

          I had to cut the black rubber off of my third motor, there just wasn't enough room to get it into the slot. There is only about 3" clearance between the slide motor housing and the wall. Certainly not the big wide open spaces I see on the U-tube videos. Makes it more of a challenge.

          2017 Momentum 376, 2019 Ford F450
          2018 Yamaha XT250 Dual Sport Motorcycle
          Kota the dog and KC the Kitty Cat

          Comment


          • #20
            Well, the lady at Lippert just emailed me a picture of old and new version motors #236575 which I believe explains it perfectly. I now see the physical differences she was talking about when referring to the plate between the motor and gearbox. The different gear ratio statement is still up in the air, but I don't feel that's an issue if the new version 300rpm motor is ordered as a spare.

            It still is not apparent if the new version is or is not being shipped with the black rubber cover, but it's a moot point. Either leave it on or cut it off.

            Click image for larger version  Name:	image001.png Views:	0 Size:	294.8 KB ID:	61083
            Last edited by Lonestar; 07-20-2021, 04:30 PM.
            2020 Reflection 273MK
            2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post

              I carry a spare motor and wiring harness. In addition I carry two adjustable slide locks that I use to lock the bathroom and bedroom doors while traveling. A useful purpose and can also be used for a broken slide if needed.

              Jim
              Jim,

              Would you do me a favor and look at the connector (the one that plugs into the motor pigtail) on your spare wiring harness. Is there any kind of name or identifying markings on it? I'm trying to build a real short cable to carry for testing purposes on the motor.

              The other connector at the controller is a Molex plug and is easy to identify, but I don't have a clue as to what type of connector is used at the motor.

              Jerry
              2020 Reflection 273MK
              2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by Lonestar View Post

                Jim,

                Would you do me a favor and look at the connector (the one that plugs into the motor pigtail) on your spare wiring harness. Is there any kind of name or identifying markings on it? I'm trying to build a real short cable to carry for testing purposes on the motor.

                The other connector at the controller is a Molex plug and is easy to identify, but I don't have a clue as to what type of connector is used at the motor.

                Jerry
                Jerry,

                When I get back to the rig, I'll take some pics for you.

                Jim

                2017 Imagine 2600RB
                2015 GMC Sierra 4x4

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post

                  Jerry,

                  When I get back to the rig, I'll take some pics for you.

                  Jim
                  Thanks. Only need pic if there is some kind of identifying info on the plug that might help me find one. I've got a good picture of it but no way to ID it for ordering. I believe it is some type of proprietary plug only used by Lippert.
                  2020 Reflection 273MK
                  2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Lonestar I bet that connector is just a generic one of some type. Might take a bit to find it. Most people do not know but the original iPhone connector was not proprietary to Apple, it was repurposed from some other non phone device for the iPhone.

                    You will probably spend hours online at places like Allied or mouser to find it. It almost looks like a molex https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail...UaAlzUEALw_wcB it's hard to tell from the picture. Molex makes several different types of connectors.
                    Joseph
                    Tow
                    Vehicle: 2018 GMC K2500 Denali Diesel
                    Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                    South of Houston Texas

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Here is a link that when zooming in shows who the maker is and gives an outside look at the connector. I'm passing by the storage lot today and will take a closer look.

                      https://www.amazon.com/Lippert-Compo...12ZZZO9O&psc=1

                      Jim
                      2017 Imagine 2600RB
                      2015 GMC Sierra 4x4

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post
                        Here is a link that when zooming in shows who the maker is and gives an outside look at the connector. I'm passing by the storage lot today and will take a closer look.
                        Jim
                        I've got a link that shows a close up of the connector, but still it would need to be identified to duplicate:

                        https://www.recpro.com/rv-12v-dc-sli...l-slides-15ft/

                        I think Joseph is right, it is a water tight Molex connector, but I can't nail it down. I've been on Allied and Mouser websites but way too much stuff to look through and the pics are not all that good.

                        I'm sure I'm wasting too much time to save few bucks but I'm not in any immediate need right now.

                        2020 Reflection 273MK
                        2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by Lonestar View Post

                          I've got a link that shows a close up of the connector, but still it would need to be identified to duplicate:

                          https://www.recpro.com/rv-12v-dc-sli...l-slides-15ft/

                          I think Joseph is right, it is a water tight Molex connector, but I can't nail it down. I've been on Allied and Mouser websites but way too much stuff to look through and the pics are not all that good.

                          I'm sure I'm wasting too much time to save few bucks but I'm not in any immediate need right now.
                          Your not wasting too much time. When you get these parts nailed down I would like to make a small harness to power a motor in with my drill battery I have pics for you but need to locate a data cable since we have lost so much stuff in our relocation. Misplaced actually.

                          I should have the pics on tomorrow where I have the harness with me from the rig.

                          Jim
                          2017 Imagine 2600RB
                          2015 GMC Sierra 4x4

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Lonestar Attached are the pics I promised to provide. Only markings on the actual plug is the length of the cable.

                            Jim
                            Attached Files
                            2017 Imagine 2600RB
                            2015 GMC Sierra 4x4

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post
                              Lonestar Attached are the pics I promised to provide. Only markings on the actual plug is the length of the cable.

                              Jim
                              Thank you.

                              2020 Reflection 273MK
                              2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Found your connector! (truth be told I was searching for myself and found your thread). The one in the harness with the black overmold is actually a circuit board connector:

                                https://www.digikey.com/en/products/...-SA-WH/2769604 - I think this is what you want. (Me too)

                                The mating connector on the motor is:

                                https://www.digikey.com/en/products/...-UU-WH/2411376

                                Happy Camping,
                                Roger

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X