Lube for slide outs and rubber seals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lube for slide outs and rubber seals

So I posted earlier on grunts and grown on my table side slide. I picked up some Super Lube its dri-folm lube with (PTFE) is this ok to spray on the lower teath on the gears? New this year but just started to get this noise. The other thing is the rubbers on the slide never seem to go out all the way and I have to manually put my finger under to get them to open against the slide wall. I know I have herd not to use silicones what do you all use.
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    2019 Ram 2500 short box 6.4 Hemi
    Anderson ultimate hitch

Here is all I could find near campsite
    Attached Files
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    Anderson ultimate hitch

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis66 View Post
      So I posted earlier on grunts and grown on my table side slide. I picked up some Super Lube its dri-folm lube with (PTFE) is this ok to spray on the lower teath on the gears? New this year but just started to get this noise. The other thing is the rubbers on the slide never seem to go out all the way and I have to manually put my finger under to get them to open against the slide wall. I know I have herd not to use silicones what do you all use.
      Dennis - I shared some information on your other thread dealing with slide noises.

Dan
      Dan & Carol
      2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
      2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

Dennis66 Dennis, you might try ordering https://www.amazon.com/Premium-Slide.../dp/B000NJ6EZ8 or https://www.amazon.com/3-ONE-Rubber-.../dp/B08HF8K3FT or https://www.amazon.com/Thetford-Corp...l%2C207&sr=8-5 . The dry teflon / silicone sprays are ok, but I have one that foams and helps clean the seals. Had it for a few years. Don't remember where I found it or the brand, since unit is in for 60 day service waiting on the wheels to be replaced I don't have access to the can.
        Joseph
        Tow
        Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
        Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
        South of Houston Texas

Comment

I did notice some black thin grease on the long cylinder part, can I use the dry lube on that
          2021 Reflection 303RLS
          Anderson ultimate hitch

Comment

Depending on when you ask, RV reps seem to change their mind on seal lubrication. Sometimes they say leave them alone.Other times they say to use some form of dry lube or powder.
            I use nothing and just ignore the groaning slide seal noise.
            2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
            Not to brag or anything about my finances, but my bank calls me about every day to tell me my balance is OUTSTANDING!

Comment

IMHO the toothed rails do not need lubricant. They mesh with the toothed cog on the drive and we do not want slipping there, or any buildup between the teeth that may interfere with the meshing of the teeth. I do spray mine with silicon as a rust prohibitive more than anything else.

Don't use a dry formula lubricant on wiper seals as this may dry out the seals. Remember that the wiper seals are for just that, wiping, the real seals to keep water and other stuff out are the bulb seals. In fact, I don't think the wiper seals should be rubbing hard enough to be causing any groans or grunts.
              John
              2018 Momentum 395M
              2018 Ram 3500 Dually
              Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

Originally posted by JBill9694 View Post
                IMHO the toothed rails do not need lubricant. They mesh with the toothed cog on the drive and we do not want slipping there, or any buildup between the teeth that may interfere with the meshing of the teeth.
                John agree as well and I believe the LCI maintenance docs. state the same thing. Lubricants can and probably will attract dust, grime, sand, etc when the slides are extended especially in blowing wind conditions. When retracted the racks are protected in the underbelly for the most part but still not 100%.

The gear pack is always exposed particularly to road grime/water/etc. and does need periodic cleaning and lubrication as shared in my other post to Dennis on his other thread with the link I attached there covering in more details.

Dan
                Dan & Carol
                2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
                2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis66 View Post
                  I have the same issue on the ( table side slide)..specifically at the rear rubber seal. The rubber seal doesn’t totally fold out when slide is extended out. Use my fingers to unfold it to lay flat.Used some baby powder to make more flexible…since this is a new trailer I thought the rubber seal is new and stiff.

did you get any suggests to solve the unfolding seal rubber? We own a 2021 303 rls
                  thanks in advance
                  coops
                  Cooper
                  2021 303RLS
                  2012 Ram 3500 Cummins SRW Short Box

Comment

IMHO the slide seals need more friction, not less, to fully unfold as the slide moves out. I saw one solution were a piece of tape, or something I don't remember exactly, was stuck to the slide wall to give a little help to the seal. I have an awning pull rod that I use to sometimes flip the seal up the full height of one slide.
                    Ted
                    2021 Reflection 310RLS
                    2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

One thing I learned from a Lippert tech as to the gear teeth maintenance on slide arms is to take some hot soapy water and a brush and clean all the gunk off the teeth once or twice a year depending on how you use your RV. Since I park and live in my RV during winter season on an island where salt air destroys anything not protected, I do spray the rails after I clean them with a light spray of dry lube with PTFE. I exercise the slides once a month while stationary. Six months later before I leave for travel, I will repeat the process.
                      Vivian
                      2018 Reflection 303rls
                      Ford F-350 diesel long bed 4 x 4 SRW
                      Demco Recon

Comment

TedS I found some low profile black door guard and cut a few pieces and put on my previous 5er. What happens with the seals is they do not start to invert soon enough and cannot fully "flip" before the slide reaches full extension.

In my case, I put strips top and bottom a few inches from the seal fully flipped in the extended or retracted position so it would start the flip early. Something like this only need about 3" long pieces. https://www.amazon.com/Automotive-Mo...3561431&sr=8-3
                        Joseph
                        Tow
                        Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                        Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                        South of Houston Texas

Comment

Working...
                        X