Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Schwintek Slide broke again.......too much weight???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, I just had the occasion to have a similar problem with the same slide in our same model unit. At approx mile marker 3800 of a 5100 mile trip, a loud bang was heard while retracting this same slide out as it made contact with the wall in order to travel. This was in Grand Island, Nebraska. Our next stop, in Ogallala, we went to extend the slide only to find that the rear (stove) end of the slide was extending, but not the front (pantry) side. Push the button for in, and then try again--same result. Lots of head scratching, and nothing obvious wrong. Except the slide blocks the frig, as mentioned above. Two separate calls to Lippert cust service got bad (wrong) advice both times. FWIW, you can not do anything to manually extend these slides unless you disengage both motors, located at the top of each end of the slide in the trailer wall. But following the bad advice, we unplugged the controller under the slide in the rear basement, waited 45 minutes for the "electronic brake to disengage" as we were told, then put a significant amount of weight against the inside of the slide in an effort to extend. I swear I saw daylight where the wall meets the floor, which was alarming. Isn't the wall attached at the floor of the trailer? One of us was thin enough (not me) to at least get through the gap between the slide and the bar top, and get to the cold beer inside the good side of the frig (at least that calamity was avoided). The next morning, I got a hold of GD customer service, a very; competent rep named Michelle. I explained our predicament, and that we were travelling to Golden, CO. The local dealer there advised that they could look at the problem in October. Michelle was able to give me the phone number of a shop they had used before (GD), and assigned a case number. As luck would have it, they said if we could get to them they would look at it to see if they could help. It turns out that the bang was the motor disengaging from the drive rod. The only thing holding the slide motor in is one screw installed from the outside through the seal flange. It keeps the motor from rotating, and from lifting out of contact with the drive rod, which connects to the bottom corner of the slide. The tech, who stated he had been a master certified tech for over 25 years, was at least able to show us how the system worked. He said that the retaining screw was loose--tightened it and checked for operation--and sent us on our way. Direct bill to GD.

25 miles later, arriving in camp, push the button, and only one side of the slide moved. Back to square one. Except that now we knew how the system worked. Darren held the motor down with hand pressure, while I operated the switch. This worked OK. We figured if we could finish the trip in this fashion, that would work. But the next night at the next stop in Grand Junction, we came across a mobile tech in the RV park, and flagged him down. He agreed to come and take a look the next morning. It turns out that the original motor was damaged, likely from GD installing the retaining screw too low as to not engage the motor correctly. He had a new motor on his truck, installed it and relocated the screw to the correct location. Problem fixed. He showed us the main components of the system. It seems all of the weight rests on the lower corners on little (plastic?) rollers not much bigger than the button on your shirt. He said there are no floor rollers as in the diagram Howson provided. I wonder if one of yours, Livin' the Dream , might have shattered? Sure doesn't look substantial enought to support all that weight. It might also be worth asking GD customer service if they have any "outside" service providers in your area. I wish you luck with this, I know how frustrated we were.

Dave
    Dave and Darren Bakersfield, CA
    2019 GMC Denali dually 4x4 duramax, BW puck hitch, timbrens
    2015 Chevrolet 3500 CC duramax SB SRW (much loved; replaced with dually)
    2021 Solitude 390 RK-R (3 A/C, solar, gen, 8K axles DP glass), comfort ride shocks, VIN 03584
    Max and Riley, our chihuahua/jack russell furbabies

Comment

DarnDave ,
      My "expertise" is derived from completing Lippert training seminars. In the session on the Schwintek the presenter (Dan from the Lippert Training Institute) definitively states that the column and rail system that makes up the Schwintek is not designed to carry the weight of the slide room. If anyone wants to verify, a call to Lippert Customer Service can secure confirmation of that statement.

However, not every OEM uses rollers. The presenter did state that "some" OEMS can use skid plates or glide bars in lieu of the rollers. I don't know if GD used these options, but something must be supporting the slide other than the Schwintek system. (All the system does is push and pull the slide.)

If your kitchen (range) Schwintek slide is suspended on the "V" rollers in the rails, IMO it is likely to fail again at some point.

Howard
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

So, finally, some good news. We have an appointment this Monday to open our slide enough to get all the food out of the refrigerator. Of course, that means buying ice every day to keep our food from spoiling. We've also scheduled time with the GD service department in Middlebury for the repairs on Sept. 13th. I'm hoping they fix it right this time. As to the slide out weight, GD stated there is no set weight, because all the weight of the slide rests on the rollers beneath the slide.....which, by the way, they're going to add a couple more rollers underneath. However, I still believe, if the motor it rated to push/pull a set amount of weight, there has to be a limit on that amount. It's a simple principle of physics, cuz I'll bet my life's savings a Schwintek motor won't move a mile long freight train. Nor will it move a 600lb slide that's resting on the floor of an RV.
        Gary and Carla, "Livin' the Dream!"
        2021 Solitude 390RK-R
        2019 Ford F-350 Lariat, extended cab, 8' box, 6.7L Diesel, SRW

Comment

howson , I hope you are right about the rollers, and that they are there. They are not visible due to the way GD trimmed out the lower slide opening. When the tech told me there weren't any, it didn't exactly instill me with a warm and fuzzy feeling. I sure hope that those V rollers are merely there as a guide.

BTW, if no one has said it lately, thank you Howard (and the other moderators), for all that you do on here. You often are a beacon of light on those pesky foggy RV issues!
          2021 Solitude 390 RK-R (3 A/C, solar, gen, 8K axles DP glass), comfort ride shocks, VIN 03584

Comment

I will try to remember to look at mine in the AM when I get home. The wall separating does concern me a bit, but I am still flummoxed by the tilt considering that the top and bottom gear rails are supposed to be in sync and that is what keeps the slide level as it moves. I wonder about a failure in the rod that drives the gears and that once the balance was to the inside of the walls that the failure allowed the bottom trac gears to basically freewheel and not hold both tracs in sync.
            Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
            Nash County, NC
            2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

We are going through the same type issue right now on our 390RK with the kitchen slides. Since January we have had 5 GIBs break off, the first time was the stove side we found 3 broken off in Jan. We now have two more broken off on the drivers side slide. I posted about this here on 6/24/21. I have check and the slides are making contact with the rollers, but I'm going to have the dealer check them again when the parts come in. Luckily we can still live in the trailer with that slide in.

Donnie & Pattie
              2017 F350 Dually, 2021 Solitude 390RK
              Vin# 573FS4224MAA00525

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCF2144.JPG Views:	0 Size:	70.6 KB ID:	62079Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCF2150.JPG Views:	0 Size:	85.9 KB ID:	62080Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCF2151.JPG Views:	0 Size:	90.2 KB ID:	62081 Here are the pics from under our slide. Do your slide rollers appear to be in place and firmly attached to the wall? I should have taken a pic of the molding height with the slide extended, but it is 3/4 inch, so my slide only drops 1/4 inch and our pantry is full.
                Attached Files
                Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
                Nash County, NC
                2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

Hubs and I are also experiencing issues with this same slide in our 390RK. For us it started late last summer (our trailer was six months old at the time). We were packing up for a move and when I tried to bring in that slide only the side closest to the fridge would move. After reading the relevant part of the owner’s manual and checking google we learned that so long as the motors themselves were fine (and they were) would could bypass the sync unit to close the slide. We then limped to a dealer in southern Ontario who was nice enough to take us FullTimers in.

In our service debrief we were told that the weight of the slide wasn’t properly supported so they manufactured one and mounted it under the pantry side (heaviest) of that slide. I just brought the slide in a bit to take some illustrating photos. One is of the block that they installed and the other two to show the difference in gap height between the two ends of the slide. You’ll also note in the photo of the underside of the slide that there aren’t any rollers…perhaps they aren’t required in this type of slide?

Fast forward by seven months (we were stationary for six of those) and our slide had stopped moving on the pantry side again. (Note that we are still pleased with what the southern Ontario dealer did because at least our slide was no longer dragging on the floor when it moved). Again we bypass so we can get to our next bounds and we contact the dealer from where we purchased our 390 to make an appointment. They send a mobile tech a few weeks later and he replaced the motor on that side. We tested it and determined that the motor itself was fine but the cable harness showed obvious damage. When he was installing the new motor my husband noted that it didn’t sit correctly even the the rod was correctly aligned with the ‘D’ channel. Further investigation led him to believe there was something wrong with our H column so a replacement was ordered. Note that we tested slide functionality after the motor was replaced. Regrettably, after a few seconds of lagging movement, that side of the slide stopped all together.

Fast forward one month and a mobile tech from our dealer arrives with new H columns. We were surprised that GD sent two because the problem seemed to be with one side only but we are just owners and don’t know the details of how things work. The tech replaced the H column on the stove side without incident but I can’t say the same about the pantry side. First his standard means of supporting the slide during repair didn’t work on the pantry side…he had to get a jack to support the slide while he worked. To my laymen mind that tells be the pantry side of the slide is significantly heavier than the stove side. Secondly when he detached the H column none of the four Gibs were in place. Three had fallen to the bottom and the fourth couldn’t be located. Now again, I’m not an RV tech and don’t fully understand their purpose but I don’t think that was a good thing. The tech explained that when he attended the training at Lippert, he learned that the weight of the slide is supposed to be partially supported by the rig and not all put on the H column. Prior to the first dealer installing the support block under the pantry, there wasn’t any weight support provided by the rig. We have conducted a few tests since the H column was replaced and so far it is holding. Of course I’m no longer storing heavy food items in my pantry when we move (now that doesn’t seem right) so fingers crossed it will continue to hold.

Let me reiterate, I’m not an RV tech…I’m just an owner and my understanding of how things work may not be 100% accurate so I’ve tried to used the different techs wording as much as possible. I used to be a member of a 390 Facebook group where I saw various complaints very similar to mine. My logical brain tells me that where there is smoke there is fire so I really believe there is something going on here. I’m told that the fix for this problem is to keep replacing the H column…this doesn’t make sense to me as it was a very time consuming and laborious job and once our warranty is up I suspect it will be quite costly. Isn’t there something that can be done to stop this from happening on my 390 as well as all those others out there?

Thanks for your input
                  Tracey

Tracey and Paul Francis
                  Proud GD family members since 04/2020
                  2022 397THS(2020 390 RK), 2020 GMC 3500 DRW

Comment

Livin' the Dream , Francis.TL , ThePowells , racerx1699 , and DarnDave

Can you all please check to ensure the VIN in your profile is correct? Please drop me a PM so I know you've ensured it's accurate? (The moderators need this info to at attempt to get some help.)

Howard
                    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

howson, My VIN is correct.

Here are pics of our pantry for reference. The Ninja Foodie lives there as well as the sink covers and two Pampered Chef baking stones by the drawers.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2152.JPG
Views:	1304
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	62122Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2153.JPG
Views:	1284
Size:	116.4 KB
ID:	62123Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2154.JPG
Views:	1257
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	62125
                      Attached Files
                      Nash County, NC
                      2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

mcindand51 -- you can find your post (in a new thread) here: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...tek-won-t-work

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
                          Livin' the Dream , Francis.TL , ThePowells , racerx1699 , and DarnDave

Can you all please check to ensure the VIN in your profile is correct? Please drop me a PM so I know you've ensured it's accurate? (The moderators need this info to at attempt to get some help.)

Howard
                          Howard, my vin is correct.
                          Donnie & Pattie
                          2017 F350 Dually, 2021 Solitude 390RK
                          Vin# 573FS4224MAA00525

Comment

I just entered my vin number in my profile. Yesterday, Lazy Days RV in Murfreesboro, TN were able to open the slide so we could remove all the food from our fridge and items we store in the oven on moving days. One less thing to worry about. We're getting used to squeezing by the broken slide and use it as an incentive not to gain anymore weight.
                            Last edited by Livin' the Dream; 08-04-2021, 09:05 PM.
                            Gary and Carla, "Livin' the Dream!"
                            2021 Solitude 390RK-R
                            2019 Ford F-350 Lariat, extended cab, 8' box, 6.7L Diesel, SRW

Comment

DarnDave
                              Livin' the Dream
                              racerx1699

The Moderator's are working on this problem with Grand Design behind the scenes. Having your VIN in your profile is helpful to Grand Design to get in contact with you about this issue. We are not sure at this time what GD is working on and who they will be contacting.

Please feel free to keep posting if you find any other issues or tips that may help other owners or how to have this resolved.

Thanks,

Moderator's
                              Brian & Michelle
                              2018 Reflection 29RS
                              2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Country Campers thank you. It is going just as you described. Will be at dealer next week and GD is coming up with a plan to deal with it there. Will update in a couple of weeks when I know more. You guys Rock!!

Comment

Working...
                                X