Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Schwintek Slide broke again.......too much weight???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

howson Country Campers

I just heard from my dealer that our parts are in (they are replacing the whole slide out assembly) we have an appointment Monday Aug. 9th at 9:00. If Grand Design has anything they would like checked that would be the best time to do it. Thank you for everything your doing to help us with this issue.
    Donnie & Pattie
    2017 F350 Dually, 2021 Solitude 390RK
    Vin# 573FS4224MAA00525

Comment

racerx1699
      Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
      Nash County, NC
      2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
        DarnDave
        Livin' the Dream
        racerx1699

The Moderator's are working on this problem with Grand Design behind the scenes. Having your VIN in your profile is helpful to Grand Design to get in contact with you about this issue. We are not sure at this time what GD is working on and who they will be contacting.

Please feel free to keep posting if you find any other issues or tips that may help other owners or how to have this resolved.

Thanks,

Moderator's
        howson Country Campers Has Grand Design looked into this issue yet? If they were to look on the Grand Design 390 Facebook group they would find a lot of other customers who are having the same issue with the Gib rivets breaking off.

Thanks
        Donnie & Pattie
        Vin# 573FS4224MAA00525

Comment

Originally posted by racerx1699 View Post

howson Country Campers Has Grand Design looked into this issue yet? If they were to look on the Grand Design 390 Facebook group they would find a lot of other customers who are having the same issue with the Gib rivets breaking off.

Thanks
          We have passed this on to GD. I will email to see where they are at on this issue, thanks for the reminder.

Brian
          Brian & Michelle
          2018 Reflection 29RS
          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by racerx1699 View Post

Thanks
            I have heard back from Grand Design and they are working thru a fix for this issue to pass on to dealers or mobile techs to do in the field. I am not sure if each one will be contacted or if you will simply take it to a dealer for repair. This fix may be done this week and I do not know when it will be out to the dealers or techs.

Brian
            Brian & Michelle
            2018 Reflection 29RS
            2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post

I have heard back from Grand Design and they are working thru a fix for this issue to pass on to dealers or mobile techs to do in the field. I am not sure if each one will be contacted or if you will simply take it to a dealer for repair. This fix may be done this week and I do not know when it will be out to the dealers or techs.

Brian
              Thanks Brian
              Donnie & Pattie
              Vin# 573FS4224MAA00525

Comment

howson Country Campers Livin' the Dream racerx1699 ThePowells Cate&Rob (my apologies if I missed anyone) Update: I got an email earlier this week from the dealer; GD is replacing the entire "mechanism"; waiting on parts. Was unable to speak with anyone on the phone and I'm not even sure which slide is affected as I had an issue with the other one as well . When retracted, the top and rear were flush to the wall, but the leading lower corner was out about an inch at the bottom.
                Dave and Darren Bakersfield, CA
                2019 GMC Denali dually 4x4 duramax, BW puck hitch, timbrens
                2015 Chevrolet 3500 CC duramax SB SRW (much loved; replaced with dually)
                2021 Solitude 390 RK-R (3 A/C, solar, gen, 8K axles DP glass), comfort ride shocks, VIN 03584
                Max and Riley, our chihuahua/jack russell furbabies

Comment

I'm glad they are resolving it, but inquiring minds want to know the how and why.
                  Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
                  Nash County, NC
                  2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

For those of you who are not following the 390RK Owners Facebook page, here are a couple of posts from an individual on the page earlier yesterday. He was literally pulling in to the Lippert Rally yesterday when he had the gib/slide issue. His gib/slide failure is amazingly timely and the posts on the thread are enlightening.

"Made it to the lippert rally in pigeon forge. As we turned onto the parkway off the freeway I discovered our kitchen slide (stove side) was hanging out. Did I mention it was a lippert rally? It’s broken completely. GIbs sheered off. All were present this am when I left it’s now jacked up and open. They are going to repair it tomorrow. Much more to the story I’ll share when we get back to rig and my readers."

The same person followed up shortly after with the following:

"So here’s the scoop. The kitchen slide is supposed to have 4 rollers. Ours has 2. These rollers are designed to support the slide when it’s inside the rig. With only 2 the slide bounces due to no support. That’s what is breaking the gibs. Both of my rear kitchen slides only have 2. You can check and see the rollers with the slide about 1/4 to 1/2 way out. Use a flashlight.
                    I’ll know more tomorrow. Lipperts techs are coming back out to rebuild the slide but without the rollers it’s only a matter of time before the gibs break again. It’s a known issue at lippert that grand design isn’t installing them correctly. I’ve called my dealer. Waiting to hear back from them. Will call grand design corporate next to see if I can bring it to them or they want to transport it back and repair it."

One of the Facebook group Admins (David Hughes) posted this on the thread later:

"Grand Design is just about ready to release their service bulletin for what they need to do to prevent the Gibbs from breaking as easily. will probably be a trip to the shop"

Our 390RK is due to be delivered at the end of next month. I have a "build update" call planned with our GD regional rep next week, and I had already planned to talk with him about where GD is on this seemingly increasing issue of gib failure and subsequent slide issues. My hope is that his response would be something to the effect of, "I know what you're talking about, and GD is well aware of it. We've already implemented the fix on new builds, including your trailer, and have a plan in place for all previously built trailers."

I don't know if I'll get that response, but I damn sure hope so!

If I find out anything more helpful I'll be sure to share it. In the meantime, those of you who are on the 390RK owners page, I'd encourage you to look on there and follow the current situation. It'll be interesting to see what more comes out of Lippert from the poster on there.

In the meantime, if anybody from GD is monitoring this, please give us some update (and some comfort) that GD is at least aware and working on this problem. The issue seems to be growing by leaps and bounds. I don't know if that's because its coming from the "engaged" minority, or if it really is prevalent throughout the "fleet."

Ryan

2020 Chevy 3500HD DRW High Country 4x4, 6.6L Duramax
                    2022 Solitude 390RK-R
                    MORryde Independent Suspension
                    B&W 20k Companion Hitch
                    Transfer Flow 50 Gal Auxiliary Fuel Tank

Comment

It seems to just get worse with GD and Lippert, i have a 2021 376THS MM. Got it on 04-08-2021. it has 3 Schwintek Slides, its a front liver with 2 slides and 1 bedroom slide. I will say this when moving any one of them in or out the motors sound like they are struggling and the couch slides lean in as they retract and the bedroom slide will start off uneven and then even out as it retracts. There is nothing stored in the living room slides and only our clothing in the bedroom.
                      Bryan & Shelia
                      2008 chevy 3500HD Crew Cab 6.6 Duramax
                      2021 GD 376THS MM

Comment

To address the title, weight should not be a factor where if properly installed and supported, and the track is kept clean, the schwintek should operate well. The Gibs function is a guide between the main bracket to the bearing block. They are not intended to carry any load but will if the slide is out of time from top to bottom (jumped tooth) or if the slide is not being supported properly throughout its range of motion which will twist the shaft and in essence will act similar to being out of time from top to bottom. This is not the same as out of sinc where operating in that mode can also put undo stress on the system.
                        For larger slides, the 500:1 motor would be used rather than the 300:1 motor.

I still believe this is a very clever design but GDRV needs to come up with a better way to access the motor retaining screw as well as to access the motor. Lippert needs to address the small pigtail wire at the motor that looks to be a major source of failure.

Come on guys, modify the design rather than to come up with a newer system with a new name and leave us hanging. Make the outer trim panel more accessible to replace the motor from the outside regardless of slide position. If accessible, this would be the best system out there IMO.

I still have faith.

Jim

Comment

On my 2 front slides l don`t believe the motors are large or heavy duty enough to handle the weight of the slides,or as you say they have the wrong ratio motors.
                          Bryan & Shelia
                          2008 chevy 3500HD Crew Cab 6.6 Duramax
                          2021 GD 376THS MM

Comment

I have been looking for an actual TSB notice for the 390RK slide issue. According to the 390RK FB group it exist. Our rig goes into the shop at the end of the month and I am hoping to get rollers install in all of the slides, as well as additional floor support. Does anyone have any recent information from GD/Lippert?
                            2021 RAM 3500 DRW HO
                            2021 Solitude 390RK
                            Anderson Ultimate Hitch

Comment

Working...
                            X