Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Motor not moving anything

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Motor not moving anything

    Looking for some input here. To note, I have a call into my dealer but am not optimistic they will be of any help.
    We have a Reflection 5th 303RLS, less than 1,000 miles on this unit, picked it up in May 2021.

    Today, I went to close the Slide 1 (Refrigerator side) and upon nearing the end of the cycle, heard a pop and the motor no longer moved the box.
    There are no obvious broken pieces underneath (not obvious to me at least) and now the slide will not move in our out.
    It sounds like motor wants to do something and when I let go of the in/out button there's a slow down of the motor that we've never heard before.

    We do not put our slide out partially and we are very careful to make sure it comes all the way in each time.

    Thoughts?

    Thank you in advance.
    Kathi & Victor
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    2020 RAM Big Horn Cummins Diesel
    NE Wisconsin

  • #2
    Have you tried the manual override? Could be that the clutch has malfunctioned and is not working properly.

    Have you looked under the unit to ensure the push pull rod is still connected to the slide?
    Joseph
    Tow
    Vehicle: 2018 GMC K2500 Denali Diesel
    Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
    South of Houston Texas

    Comment


    • #3
      Hi Kathi & Victor:

      First steps definitely as Joseph describes in pat #2. The manual drive for the kitchen slide is sticking through the frame rail on the curb (right) side of the trailer. Sometimes forward of the tires . . . sometimes aft of the tires. If this does not work, you will need to unfasten the underbelly coroplast close to the manual drive, to have a look at what is going on with the motor and drive rack. From your description, the problem is mechanical, not electrical. The motor will be about 18" inside frame rail. There should be diagrams and parts lists in the LCI manual that came with your trailer.

      Rob
      Cate & Rob
      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel and their kitty Gracie)
      2015 Reflection 303RLS
      2014 Ecoboost F150 with Heavy Duty Payload Package
      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
        Have you tried the manual override? Could be that the clutch has malfunctioned and is not working properly.

        Have you looked under the unit to ensure the push pull rod is still connected to the slide?
        Thank you, Joseph. We have not tried an override, I was afraid to break anything further.
        I will take a look at the manual in the morning to find out what/where the push/pull rod is. Maybe that’s the pop sound
        I heard.

        Thanks,
        Kathi

        Kathi & Victor
        2021 Reflection 303RLS
        2020 RAM Big Horn Cummins Diesel
        NE Wisconsin

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
          …The manual drive for the kitchen slide is sticking through the frame rail on the curb (right) side of the trailer. Sometimes forward of the tires . . . sometimes aft of the tires….
          Thanks, Rob. Don’t laugh, but let me ask this. Is that the thing that looks like a long rod with a nut at the end of it?
          On the drivers side of the trailer, the same side as the problematic slide in this case?
          I’ll get out the manual tomorrow and take a look.
          Thank you again,
          Kathi.
          Kathi & Victor
          2021 Reflection 303RLS
          2020 RAM Big Horn Cummins Diesel
          NE Wisconsin

          Comment


          • #6
            GonOuttaHere , just posted a possibly related story on this, you might want to check it out if you have the Schwintek slide mechanism (exposed rails with gear tracks on the outside of the slide ends, top and bottom. Sounds like your motor might have disengaged as ours did.
            Dave and Darren
            2015 Chevrolet 3500 CC duramax SB SRW, pullrite 2400, timbrens
            2021 Solitude 390 RK-R (3 A/C, solar, gen, 8K axles), comfort ride shocks, VIN 03584
            Max and Riley, our chihuahua/tasmanian devil furbabies

            Comment


            • #7
              GonOuttaHere
              Your kitchen slide is what Lippert calls an Electric Through Frame slide.

              Go to Lippert's Support Documentation page for this slide at https://support.lci1.com/through-fra...c-slide-system and you'll find a slew of technical documents to wade through. Don't miss that there's a Video tab, too. (There's a video on how to manually extend and retract the room.)

              Click image for larger version

Name:	LCI.JPG
Views:	122
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	61717
              Howard
              Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

              Howard, 2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by GonOuttaHere View Post

                Thanks, Rob. Don’t laugh, but let me ask this. Is that the thing that looks like a long rod with a nut at the end of it?
                On the drivers side of the trailer, the same side as the problematic slide in this case?
                I’ll get out the manual tomorrow and take a look.
                Thank you again,
                Kathi.
                Hi Kathi,

                The rod with the nut on it, sticking through the frame is the manual slide override . . . but it will be on the opposite side frame rail from the slide you want to move.
                See attached info.

                Rob

                LCI Slide Actuator Manual.pdf

                Cate & Rob
                (with Border Collies Molly & Angel and their kitty Gracie)
                2015 Reflection 303RLS
                2014 Ecoboost F150 with Heavy Duty Payload Package
                Bayham, Ontario, Canada

                Comment


                • #9
                  GonOuttaHere The Kitchen override is on the door side just in front of the plastic fender skirt. Sofa slide will need to be fully extended or retracted to access it. Just behind the sofa slide there is another access hole that's used to lower the spare tire. The override for the sofa slide is under the stove area between the tires and there is not an access hole for it thus kitchen will need to be extended to access this one.

                  The push pull bar on the kitchen slide is at the front of the slide and has a golden end on it. While looking under there check that the square bar between the 2 sets of exposed gears is still attached to both and tight. Also look around at general condition of the slide and that both front and back are the same distance from the side wall. Both the kitchen and sofa slides tip a bit when moving so top to bottom distance to wall may be off a little.

                  My 303 is at the dealer for 60 day checkup (no major issues thus far). If you have any questions please feel free to ask. Several of us have 303's. I may not have access to get pictures if needed or access to test if needed, but I will do what I can from memory. Rob of Cate&Rob is one of the foremost authorities on the 303 with 6+ years of ownership.

                  As I'm typing, I wonder if there is a drive pin on the motor that sheared. This will require dropping the under belly and tearing into the gearbox end of the mechanism. There is a set of pictures here of someone doing this for a different issue. This would explain the motor winding down when you release the botton. check out this post for information on the slide drive actuator https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...-only-clicking
                  Joseph
                  Tow
                  Vehicle: 2018 GMC K2500 Denali Diesel
                  Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                  South of Houston Texas

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
                    GonOuttaHere The Kitchen override is on the door side just in front of the plastic fender skirt. Sofa slide will need to be fully extended or retracted to access it. Just behind the sofa slide there is another access hole that's used to lower the spare tire. The override for the sofa slide is under the stove area between the tires and there is not an access hole for it thus kitchen will need to be extended to access this one.

                    The push pull bar on the kitchen slide is at the front of the slide and has a golden end on it. While looking under there check that the square bar between the 2 sets of exposed gears is still attached to both and tight. Also look around at general condition of the slide and that both front and back are the same distance from the side wall. Both the kitchen and sofa slides tip a bit when moving so top to bottom distance to wall may be off a little.
                    ...
                    As I'm typing, I wonder if there is a drive pin on the motor that sheared. This will require dropping the under belly and tearing into the gearbox end of the mechanism. There is a set of pictures here of someone doing this for a different issue. This would explain the motor winding down when you release the botton. check out this post for information on the slide drive actuator https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...-only-clicking
                    Thank you to all for the valuable feedback.

                    I confirmed the push/pull rod the square rod between the gears are connected.

                    The manual crank (from the other side) did not do anything, turning in either direction. Which leads us to think the issue is underneath, perhaps related to the drive pin you mentioned, Joseph.

                    Howard, thanks for the links, very helpful. I think this extract is closest to our issue:
                    "What's Happening: Actuator motor runs but room does not move
                    Why: Actuator not attached to front mounting drive bracket
                    What should be done: Check jam nuts/nylock nuts. Be sure that they are properly tightened and adjusted."
                    We spoke to the dealer yesterday and are waiting for a callback...I think they should be the ones to do this work on our new unit!

                    Re: the 60-day checkup comment...is that normal procedure?

                    Thanks all!

                    Last edited by GonOuttaHere; 07-29-2021, 12:10 PM.
                    Kathi & Victor
                    2021 Reflection 303RLS
                    2020 RAM Big Horn Cummins Diesel
                    NE Wisconsin

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      GonOuttaHere Our dealer sets up all new units for a 60 day checkup for all makes. Kinda nice since that they did that since appointments are months out on a good day.
                      Joseph
                      Tow
                      Vehicle: 2018 GMC K2500 Denali Diesel
                      Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                      South of Houston Texas

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X